Reportage/archival or Live News image

9 minutes ago, rose22 said:

Hello! How can I apply for this Reportage/archival or Live News image upload service as new photographer? I don't have own website for my photos or portfolio can somebody help me? I really want to apply maybe I can sold something.

You can upload them to a picture hosting, like Google, and submit the link- good luck.  For Live News i got access a couple times just by contacting the Live News desk within minutes of an event, and then again for an upcoming one where i was probably the only contributor that had easy access..  From there they gave me permanent access.  (note this was Prior to PA )

disclaimer: for Reportage this is just the practicality.  I was told by Alamy the best way would be to submit reportage type images through regular channel and fail QC a few times (sic!) 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rose22 said:

Hello! How can I apply for this Reportage/archival or Live News image upload service as new photographer? I don't have own website for my photos or portfolio can somebody help me? I really want to apply maybe I can sold something.

It would help your application if you had typical news images shot as stock in your port. If you are unsure what to shoot look in the live news feed, but note that there are often images uploaded wrongly that aren't news. Have a practise run shooting a typical news event to see if you would be capable of achieving uploading images within the hour, so unless the event is close to your home and desktop computer, you will need to carry a laptop. Then when you are sure you can meet Alamy's requirements contact the live news team and advise what you are going to cover and request temporary access. If given and you provide what Alamy would be expecting they may give further temporary or full access. Currently you don't have any news related images in your port to be judged by. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Currently you don't have any news related images in your port to be judged by. 

SB Photos is correct.  I suggest it would be useful to shoot some news photos as stock to show your potential and keep doing so for a period of time.  You may not know that at one time everyone could shoot live news, then Alamy changed the rules and put in place strict requirements for news shooters like myself.  This is still a point of contention with many.  Also, as noted, you must have the ability to submit within an hour of taking the photograph.  That means both equipment, laptop, dongle etc as well as a tight workflow.  Finally, and I may be on a minority of one on this, my live news photos prices have greatly fallen and on a picture by picture basis most stock contributors appear to earn more than me…. 

Finally, and I don’t know how this works in your location, look at how to get formal press accreditation.  In the UK it is the national press card.  This is not essential but is most helpful: particularly as, at least In my experience, being a news photographer means facing increasing hostility from the public and officialdom.  

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, rose22 said:

It sounds as if you want to do this to increase sales. I don't think that it would necessarily achieve that aim. It may be better to focus on increasing the diversity of the stock images in your portfolio (there are an awful lot of shop fronts) as well as including more photos of people, especially people doing things. If there is a different particular reason for accessing reportage or Live News, then the advice given here already is very good.

• Like 7

one more thing on Live News, remember that the News Desk mainly deals with UK and Ireland based media, so when selecting initial subjects you should probably focus on some that have some appeal for that market (i've given some example where i've been successful)

• Canadian News to are newsworthy beyond borders (e.g. Freedom Convoy, Residential Schools, Fiona)
  • Global events (eg. Ukraine war Protest)
  • UK "celebrities" (eg. School named after Prince Andrew being renamed)

Doesn't mean the Canadian based one don't licence, they actually do, but most of those happen on the Stock side of the market, and LN access is not a requirement, majority can be uploaded as Stock or Reportage if you ever get access 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sally said:

It sounds as if you want to do this to increase sales. I don't think that it would necessarily achieve that aim. It may be better to focus on increasing the diversity of the stock images in your portfolio (there are an awful lot of shop fronts) as well as including more photos of people, especially people doing things. If there is a different particular reason for accessing reportage or Live News, then the advice given here already is very good.

Nail on head!

• Like 2