Alamy Search coming up with zero photos

Just tried an image search and got .. Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term.

I even tried it for 'car' .. I'm guessing Alamy have a few hundred thousand .. Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term. I attempted it for quite a few search keywords before trying a different browser.

It seems to be just on the Firefox browser (Mac).

This is from the top search box that appears in the green area (with the bloke with his head on a mirror).

I don't know how many Alamy clients use Firefox but it might be worth sorting out as it doesn't look too professional saying 'Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term'.

28 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

Just tried an image search and got .. Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term.

I even tried it for 'car' .. I'm guessing Alamy have a few hundred thousand .. Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term. I attempted it for quite a few search keywords before trying a different browser.

It seems to be just on the Firefox browser (Mac).

This is from the top search box that appears in the green area (with the bloke with his head on a mirror).

I don't know how many Alamy clients use Firefox but it might be worth sorting out as it doesn't look too professional saying 'Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term'.

likely Search kept a filter from a prior viewing.  The most frequent source for me is using the Formerly Known as Blue Number to see someone's portfolio, which saves filter for "Same Contributor",So i guess last person you saw had no car in portfolio

Edited by meanderingemu

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

likely Search kept a filter from a prior viewing.  The most frequent source for me is using the Formerly Known as Blue Number to see someone's portfolio, which saves filter for "Same Contributor",So i guess last person you saw had no car in portfolio

You've just explained something that confused me when searching for something of which I was sure there'd be quantities of on Alamy, but returned zero. I soon noticed the filter issue but couldn't fathom why.

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

+1 It's the cookies saving that filter I believe.

When we had the issue of not able to navigate using the blue number on profile here, someone in Tech came up with this botched design "Same Contributor".

Edited by Gnans

The 'Same Contributor' filter is an annoyance but it's been explained quite often on here and it only affects contributors, not picture buyers unless they've strayed into the forum. Bear in mind that we had to do without the (Formerly Known As) Blue Number for a long time despite many requests on here for its reinstatement. Then the cavalry came over the hill in the shape of James A and suddenly, as if by magic, we had it back in its current form to much applause from grateful forum users. It is actually quite useful for easily searching within one's own port, or indeed in anyone else's, so if that's the only way they can make the 'Blue Number' work I'd be inclined to hang on to it. It really does need a way of clearing it automatically, I had thought it cleared when searching from the main home page but it appears not.

That said we don't know if that was the problem for the OP.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

OK, I've just discovered that this 'Same contributor' problem doesn't only affect forum users. This filter is also activated if you open an image from any search and click on the photographer's name (or agency name) to see all their images. It sticks, so isn't cleared if you start a new search, from there or from the home screen. So it will be affecting (annoying?) picture buyers.

The same is true if you click on the symbol for the 'Same contributor' icon on the thumbnail. In my view this in any case should only bring up images for that search by that contributor. This has been reported to Alamy but there has been no change so far.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Not sure what you mean, you have to activate the 'Same contributor' filter somehow, are there other ways?

No idea. It started happening after the big change. All of a sudden a search on any image reference would have the "same contributor" filter set. Another time it had a "colour" filter set (#0000 as it happens) which I certainly didn't set myself.

I'm disinclined to spend any time debugging Alamy's faulty software so I tend to avoid searches altogether.

Edited by spacecadet

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

All of a sudden a search on any image reference would have the "same contributor" filter set. Another time it had a "colour" filter set (#0000 as it happens) which I certainly didn't set myself.

Right, neither of those seem to happen now and other bugs that I've noted from the beginning have been quietly fixed, still some to go though, 11 weeks and counting.