Help with gas powered bicycles i.d.

I know this is a longshot, I have searched Google with no luck.  Does anyone have an idea of a maker or any other tidbits of info on these?  My mother is on the one with the obvious gas tank on the frame of the bicycle but the other two don't seem to have one but do have a motor.  Taken in the late 1940s at Pisa, Italy. 

vintage-1940s-photo-of-two-men-and-a-wom

Looking at the bikes the gents are on the cross bar looks to be deeper than wold be normal. Gas tank?

No more info yet.

Allan

Just checked on line and see there are a number of manufacturers of this type of pushbike from 1920's on but have not seen the actual models you are displaying.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

The English company Rudge made the Rudge Autocycle which was available in the 1940s. I don't think this is one but it is very similar so searching for 'Autocycle' might be fruitful. Autocycles and Cyclemotors were competing for the same market I think. There are some clubs but you probably need an Italian one.

https://thebuzzingclub.net/

http://www.autocycle.org.uk/eacc.html

I think you will be able to read the name of the engine maker on the finned part of the block next to the flywheel and I bet it says Mosquito. Which makes it a Garelli Mosquito.

A 38cc Motore a rullo ausiliario for a bicimotore.

Maybe there's a different frame maker's name on the frame, but I bet it's Garelli.

wim

edit: bicimotore aka motobicicletta.

For the year you could also search for dopoguerra which means after the war.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

They all have Girder type suspension forks.

Now for the one in the middle. I'm sure you can at least read a part of the brand name on the fuel tank.

wim

edit: type - it's not a brand name (anymore) but the generic name for a this type of spring fork with triangles.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

They all have Girder type suspension forks.

Now for the one in the middle. I'm sure you can at least read a part of the brand name on the fuel tank.

wim

edit: type - it's not a brand name (anymore) but the generic name for a this type of spring fork with triangles.

Both my mother's bike and the front bike have visible brand writing, in script, but not legible...even when using the sharpening tool

35 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Both my mother's bike and the front bike have visible brand writing, in script, but not legible...even when using the sharpening tool

The front and rear are the same Garelli Mosquito. The one your mother's on has an engine that looks very much like a Ducati Cucciolo. Cucciolo = Cub or Puppy. The fins of the cylinder head and the angle of the cylinder itself and the horizontal fins are quite distinct. However I don't think the rest is Ducati because of the form and placement of the fuel tank. The Cucciolo T was one of the many clip on blocks that were around. Image here (second image).

Both Garelli and Ducati obviously even more so went on to become big names in the motorbike industry.

wim

edit: the story of the puppy on the official Ducati site.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Here is a cropped in image of the front bike crossbar.  That is about the best I can make it.  

weekes_0466crp

Doesn't look like Garelli. But the block is a Garelli Mosquito. Like the middle one is the Ducati Cucciolo

By now I have given up finding the right frame builders, mainly because of this list and this page (mix of Dutch and English but many images and links).

wim

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Doesn't look like Garelli. But the block is a Garelli Mosquito. Like the middle one is the Ducati Cucciolo

By now I have given up finding the right frame builders, mainly because of this list and this page (mix of Dutch and English but many images and links).

wim

Thank you Wim for all your efforts.  And thanks to the others who also helped searching for clues!