Saving files to an ipad

I had to get an ipad for my Square Retail Checkout so I figure I will use it for graphics.  Not having the best internet, and often in places that has no internet, how do I save files directly to the ipad in Photoshop without sending to the cloud. And can I send files directly from my Windows computer to the ipad?

A total Apple dummy here, so be kind.

Jill

There are some hardware bits that include double headed thumb drives (Lightning on one side/USB on the other).  I got a cheap one here at Radio Shack and it didn't hold up.  Between Apple machines, you can use AirDrop wirelessly, but that won't work, as far as I know, between Apple gear and Windows machines.  Second part of this seems to be the way to do what you want to do wirelessly:  https://techlog360.com/wireless-file-transfer-from-pc-to-ipad-iphone/.  Double headed thumb drive seems a whole lot less complicated, or a Lightning to USB dongle (I'd have to go to Managua for that).

iPads are more computer-like nowadays than in the past so you can connect an external hard drive (or USB pen drive) using an adapter and copy over directly. The exact adapter you need will depend on the iPad connection (Lightning or USB-C). I don't know if iPads can read Windows formatted drives offhand or what format you would need so you would need to check that. You can also get USB pen drives that connect directly without an adapter. I had a couple of these but found them slow and finicky. That was a few years ago so maybe improved by now.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

If you want to download SD cards, Apple has an SD card reader to Lightning, see it here.  I used it on a two week trip and it worked like a dream,  I upped my Apple cloud storage for, I think, $3.99 per month for larger storage.  Then I can download those photos to my desktop when I get home.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

If you want to download SD cards, Apple has an SD card reader to Lightning, see it here.  I used it on a two week trip and it worked like a dream,  I upped my Apple cloud storage for, I think, $3.99 per month for larger storage.  Then I can download those photos to my desktop when I get home.

She is talking about transferring files created in Photoshop on Windows to an iPad. I guess she could use an SD card but it would not be a regular way of doing this. 

As an aside, you don't need to upload your files to iCloud to transfer them to your Mac when you get home (unless you are doing that for backup on the road which sounds like a sensible idea). There are various ways to transfer from the iPad to the Mac directly (wired or Airdrop) or using intermediates.

Edited by MDM

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

She is talking about transferring files created in Photoshop on Windows to an iPad. I guess she could use an SD card but it would not be a regular way of doing this. 

As an aside, you don't need to upload your files to iCloud to transfer them to your Mac when you get home (unless you are doing that for backup on the road which sounds like a sensible idea). There are various ways to transfer from the iPad to the Mac directly (wired or Airdrop) or using intermediates.

I backup all my files from my desktop to OneDrive for Business for backup.  Quite often I will move some of my working files over to Google Drive so double backup.

I don't have an Apple computer and have no intention of buying one.  I had to get the ipad to run my Square Retail Checkout so just want to take advantage of it's features.

I hate wasting good production time, so when at some of my dog shows and pet expos, like to work if I can.  Since the ipad will be there anyway, figure I'll do some of my graphics work at the shows.  Since most offer no internet, I simply want to be able to load images, work on them, and save them again.

32 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I don't need the storage but the SD card reader should be exactly what I'm looking for.  I can upload them when I get home from the show to my OneDrive account.

Thanks guys,

Jill

10 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I backup all my files from my desktop to OneDrive for Business for backup.  Quite often I will move some of my working files over to Google Drive so double backup.

I don't have an Apple computer and have no intention of buying one.  I had to get the ipad to run my Square Retail Checkout so just want to take advantage of it's features.

I hate wasting good production time, so when at some of my dog shows and pet expos, like to work if I can.  Since the ipad will be there anyway, figure I'll do some of my graphics work at the shows.  Since most offer no internet, I simply want to be able to load images, work on them, and save them again.

I don't need the storage but the SD card reader should be exactly what I'm looking for.  I can upload them when I get home from the show to my OneDrive account.

Thanks guys,

Jill

I get all that but I think SD cards would not be the most efficient or cost effective way of transferring the files to the iPad. An external SSD drive would be my choice as it could be used directly with both the Windows computer and the iPad. An SSD drive would be much more robust than SD cards, probably a lot faster and cheaper by the GB as well.

Edited by MDM

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

I get all that but I think SD cards would not be the most efficient or cost effective way of transferring the files to the iPad. An external SSD drive would be my choice as it could be used directly with both the Windows computer and the iPad. An SSD drive would be much more robust than SD cards, probably a lot faster and cheaper by the GB as well.

I can use the SD card with both the Windows computer and the iPad can't I?

Jill

12 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I can use the SD card with both the Windows computer and the iPad can't I?

Jill

Yes but SD-cards are not intended for that purpose (essentially as external drives) so may not be a great ongoing solution and as I said above about efficiency and cost. Depending on which iPad you have you may not even need an adapter as you can probably plug a USB-C drive in directly (I haven't done this as my iPad has a lightning connector and needs an adapter). I'm not sure about this but I can't see why not unless it needs power at the same time. My wife has a new iPad with USB-C  connector so I will check it later out of interest.

Edited by MDM

I was always told that "she" was the cats mother and told to use the persons name (obviously female).

Allan

20 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I should have mentioned that I was downloading to an iPad.  Two weeks on the road, I wanted to really keep the weight down on what I was toting around

I understood that but you mentioned upping your iCloud storage so I assumed that was part of the workflow. Perhaps your iPad does not have enough storage?

Just checked and you can connect a USB-C drive directly to an iPad with a USB-C connection no problem. Depending on the iPad connector (has to be USB-C rather than Lightning) I think it would external SSD would be the best solution  if doing this regularly rather than using an SD card or one of the pen drives which can fit the iPad directly (second choice). 

46 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I was always told that "she" was the cats mother and told to use the persons name (obviously female).

Allan

Are you talking to me Mister? 😄 You should have quoted me in that case and it would have been clear. Anyway thanks for the advice on etiquette. I will carry it forward in my future life.

I am more of a grammar guy myself and like to be direct so I should point out that you have a couple of missing apostrophes there. I was always taught that possessives should have apostophes so that should read cat's mother and person's name. 🤣

Edited by MDM

My iPad just has a lightning port. I wouldn't be doing this a lot so I think the SD is best.  I mean I use the SDs with my camera and pull them in and out and into my computer all the time. Wouldn't be much different.

Jill

So checked on the Apple version of the SD card adapter and you can only move from the card to the iPad. You can't move from the iPad to the card.  A bit of a problem.  Not something I couldn't work around, but an expensive item if it only goes one way.

Looks like all the readers do not write as well.  I need to be able to write to the SD card or whatever I use.   Slow upload speed is a big problem for me out here in the country, so I only use it when won't be using the internet at all as when I upload, it pretty much freezes up the internet for me until files are finished uploading.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan

You can get an Apple lightning adapter that allows you to connect a USB-3 drive. I have one for my iPad although rarely use it now. Alternatively one of the USB-3 to Lightning flash drives will do the job. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

You can get an Apple lightning adapter that allows you to connect a USB-3 drive. I have one for my iPad although rarely use it now. Alternatively one of the USB-3 to Lightning flash drives will do the job. 

I just found the lightning to USB-3 on Amazon.  Should work.  Have to have the adapter plugged in when being used but that is fine.  I can do that when I get home.

Looks like my problem is finally solved. Thanks.

Jill

• Love 1

15 hours ago, MDM said:

Are you talking to me Mister? 😄 You should have quoted me in that case and it would have been clear. Anyway thanks for the advice on etiquette. I will carry it forward in my future life.

I am more of a grammar guy myself and like to be direct so I should point out that you have a couple of missing apostrophes there. I was always taught that possessives should have apostophes so that should read cat's mother and person's name. 🤣

I did not want to quote you as I was trying to be kind and only making a general comment.  I am sure there are more instances of this occurring in the forums but have missed them.

Thank you for the grammar lesson.😃

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

47 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I did not want to quote you as I was trying to be kind and only making a general comment.  I am sure there are more instances of this occurring in the forums but have missed them.

Thank you for the grammar lesson.😃

Allan

Don't mention it.  Grammar lessons, history lessons all free of charge, what great value. However, it's far more important to answer the questions posed in the forum accurately and I do strive to do that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...