New York 1964

geogphotos

Quite likely this Manhattan building has long gone and the view changed beyond recognition. I think this is from near the United Nations possibly the building has since been replaced by Trump Towers. The photographer only came away with around half a dozen images of New York so I assume there was some reason behind this one.

Any ideas? I think that tall thin skyscraper to the left is still standing but I don't know what it is called.

Thanks for looking.

I0000dI9MmBr3i38.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

I think that tall thin building must be this ( though I probably won't use it in the caption )

The General Electric Building (also known as 570 Lexington Avenue) is a skyscraper at the southwestern corner of Lexington Avenue and 51st Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The building, designed by Cross & Cross and completed in 1931, was known as the RCA Victor Building during its construction. 

One more - somebody might be interested. Chrysler building and what was the Pan Am builidng (right - now MetLife)

Looks like it could be from down by the United Nations area again but can't find it on Google Maps - probably that view doesn't exist. 

I00007pI2uRPVfik.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

Ian, I'm have trouble with that first pic having to do with Lexington Avenue and 51st Street. There is no green expanse -- no park -- around there. We would have to be looking south from inside Central Park . . . but it just doesn't feel right. The front building would have to be on 59th Street. I just did a virtual walk along 59th in Google Maps and I did not see it. But 1964? It may well have been taken down and replaced. There are many new skyscrapers in that area. Think of London in 1964. 

Edo

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ian, I'm have trouble with that first pic having to do with Lexington Avenue and 51st Street. There is no green expanse -- no park -- around there. We would have to be looking south from inside Central Park . . . but it just doesn't feel right. The front building would have to be on 59th Street. I just did a virtual walk along 59th in Google Maps and I did not see it. But 1964? It may well have been taken down and replaced. There are many new skyscrapers in that area. Think of London in 1964. 

Edo

In the first image the Lexington Ave building is the one in the background to the left of the main building.

The striped mown grass is next to the United Nations buildings. Michael figured out what is was - now demolished.

Hey, what do I know? I'm from Brooklyn. We called Manhattan -- The City Across the River. 

Seriously, I see what Michael sees now. We don't have a lot of grass in the city. I'll take a virtual walk along First Avenue. 

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

the building has since been replaced by Trump Towers

UEC (1961) was a fine International Style building by the firm of Shreve Lamb & Harmon, who also designed the Empire State.

A very poor exchange. So much for progress.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

UEC (1961) was a fine International Style building by the firm of Shreve Lamb & Harmon, who also designed the Empire State.

A very poor exchange. So much for progress.

Thanks, that is useful information. 

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

But . . . Trump Tower is on Fifth Avenue at 56th Street. ???

This one on United Nations Plaza is called Trump World Tower. It's a luxury residential block.

Popular with Russian billionaires I understand - just like Donald himself.

Edited by geogphotos

You were right about Trump:

In 1997, the building was sold to Donald Trump and demolished in 1998 to make room for the Trump World Tower, a 72 floor residential tower.

(via)

wim