8TB hard drive for £165

Seagate BarraCuda 8TB hard drives on sale for £165 through Amazon UK -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST8000DM004-Barracuda-internal-Silver/dp/B075WYBQXJ/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Seagate+8TB+Desktop&qid=1637427216&sr=8-17

Well, it was 165 quid when I ordered one about half an hour ago but it's now saying £168...😏

22 hours ago, Gnans said:

The speed these things are getting smaller and cheaper is amazing !

Nice deal but looks to have been £140 early this year https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B075WYBQXJ 

Gnans, Interesting but there is some news that is better kept to oneself, me thinks. 😉

• Love 1

The smaller ones are attractive as a system drive as my 500GB is getting a bit full. But I don't know about transferring my win7 installation as I don''t have the CDs and my all-in-one won't take a second internal drive. Any expert with thoughts about that?

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The smaller ones are attractive as a system drive as my 500GB is getting a bit full. But I don't know about transferring my win7 installation as I don''t have the CDs and my all-in-one won't take a second internal drive. Any expert with thoughts about that?

Quite a few online blogs and YouTube videos on How to clone your disk. One like this https://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

If upgrading HDD then look into SSD which are faster !

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

My system drive C is a 1TB SSD.  I recently made an exact clone on to another 1TB drive then swapped drives to make sure it worked.  It booted up exactly as normal and everything was fine.  I used Macrium Reflect, the free addition.  The second drive was plugged into an external USB hub, so no worries if your computer won't take it. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Come to think of it putting a new drive into a 10-year-old machine may not be all that bright, maybe better offload images onto another USB as I usually do. The last two years have put that moment off- by about two years.

Any problem using one of those big SATA drives with the USB adapter as a USB drive permanently? The price per GB is tempting. About half the usual USB externals.

34 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Come to think of it putting a new drive into a 10-year-old machine may not be all that bright, maybe better offload images onto another USB as I usually do. The last two years have put that moment off- by about two years.

Any problem using one of those big SATA drives with the USB adapter as a USB drive permanently? The price per GB is tempting. About half the usual USB externals.

A USB docking station (like this Docking Station) and you are good to go.

We use them at work like this all the time with no issues and I have a 1Tb attached to a docking station for music, photos, videos etc.

Edited by Martin L

15 minutes ago, Martin L said:

A USB docking station (like this Docking Station) and you are good to go.

We use them at work like this all the time with no issues and I have a 1Tb attached to a docking station for music, photos, videos etc.

Thanks for that, I was thinking in terms of the adapters at about £5,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benfei-SATA-Adapter-Supports-UASP/dp/B07F7WDZGT/ref=asc_df_B07F7WDZGT/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344270444557&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11581669823765561644&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044936&hvtargid=pla-571127053636&psc=1

do these do the job as well?

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As Martin says, no problems at all.  I have two docking stations, a single and a double.  I bought the double later as so I could transfer from from one drive to another without having to transfer it to a computer drive first.

I initially bought one because I had a housed USB external drive pack up but after dismantling it I found the hard drive was perfectly fine - it was the USB interface that had gone faulty.  Since buying it I've had another one go the same way.  Both hard drives are still working perfectly well.  I would never but another housed external drive.

5 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

As Martin says, no problems at all.  I have two docking stations, a single and a double.  I bought the double later as so I could transfer from from one drive to another without having to transfer it to a computer drive first.

I initially bought one because I had a housed USB external drive pack up but after dismantling it I found the hard drive was perfectly fine - it was the USB interface that had gone faulty.  Since buying it I've had another one go the same way.  Both hard drives are still working perfectly well.  I would never but another housed external drive.

So I could decant my USB drives, construction permitting, from their housings and plug them in one of the docks?

Edited by spacecadet

28 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

So I could decant my USB drives, construction permitting, from their housings and plug them in one of the docks?

Yes, that's exactly what I've done

24 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

My externals came already in housings.

Yes but you can easily remove it and put another one in.  The case just slides off and you unplug the drive. 

Edit - "construction permitting" in my case meant wrecking the cases.  I knew I wouldn't be using them again so I wasn't too gentle.

Edited by Vincent Lowe

33 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Hmmmmm, maybe. The problem is that for big (3.5 inch) SATA drives they do consume power to drive them so it is better to have a powered dock rather than just a cable.

Might be ok for a PC but never tried.

Those cables are fine for SSDs and laptop drives (2.5 inch) as they take less power to spin them up (in fact a lot of the external drives that you buy pre-cased are actually laptop drives if you dismantle them as Vincent suggested)

Edited by Martin L
added size
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Hmmmmm, maybe. The problem is that for big SATA drives they do consume power to drive them so it is better to have a powered dock rather than just a cable.

Might be ok for a PC but never tried.

Good point, I think you could be right.  I have a NAS box which has a USM drive slot.  The USM drive has a USB3 adaptor so it can be plugged directly into a computer, but then it's drawing power from the USB and can be a bit flaky.  

PS - don't bother looking up USM, it seems to have gone the way of floppy drives....😏

Edited by Vincent Lowe
to clarify a point

14 hours ago, Gnans said:

What am I missing ? 🤔

No biggie, it's just if you have spent $$$ and then find out you could have bought the same for $$, it can be a tad annoying/frustrating. Have done it many times myself and always end up kicking my own backside!

11 hours ago, Jansos said:

No biggie, it's just if you have spent $$$ and then find out you could have bought the same for $$, it can be a tad annoying/frustrating. Have done it many times myself and always end up kicking my own backside!

Ah that bit. Been there and done that myself 🙂 

• Love 1

I do shop around for most things but don't beat myself up if I don't get the absolutely best deal. Nearly best is good enough! At the mundane level I'll buy from the local shop rather than drive into the nearest town. It may cost more but I don't have to get the car out and I value having the shop there. But nobody in the village sells hard drives!