Safari cannot connect to the server

I can get Alamy on my iPad, as I’m doing now. But when I try on my desktop iMac, I get the “Can’t connect to the server” message. I’ve disconnected my modem and waited for a minute, (took all the wires out) and reconnected (plugged back in). Then I went to my provider site and had them try to reset my modem. I get the message “cannot reset your modem”.

I’ve got an upload ready to go and can’t figure out what’s gone wrong.

I realize modems have to be replaced every few years. This one is about 3 1/2 years old.

Suggestions?

Betty, do you have an iPhone? If so, find the Personal Hotspot in Settings and turn it on. Make sure you have Allow Others to Join on too. I have no WiFi in my building anymore and I use my Person Hotspot to get online. 

You modem may just be experiencing a temporary glitch. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I can get Alamy on my iPad, as I’m doing now. But when I try on my desktop iMac, I get the “Can’t connect to the server” message. I’ve disconnected my modem and waited for a minute, (took all the wires out) and reconnected (plugged back in). Then I went to my provider site and had them try to reset my modem. I get the message “cannot reset your modem”.

I’ve got an upload ready to go and can’t figure out what’s gone wrong.

I realize modems have to be replaced every few years. This one is about 3 1/2 years old.

Suggestions?

If Safari on your Mac can access other websites Ok then it sounds like an Alamy cookie or your shortcut/bookmark may be corrupted?

If it's the former - clearing your browsers cache for Alamy should fix it.

If it's the later try putting https://www.alamy.com/myalamy-aim.aspx in the browser address bar, if that works, then update your bookmark.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Betty, do you have an iPhone? If so, find the Personal Hotspot in Settings and turn it on. Make sure you have Allow Others to Join on too. I have no WiFi in my building anymore and I use my Person Hotspot to get online. 

You modem may just be experiencing a temporary glitch. 

I’ll try that, Ed. I’ve never really understood hot spot other than to hear people mention it. I don’t understand how it works. But I’ll go on faith now and do it.

Ed, Mark, nothing worked. I made my iPad the hotspot.
And Mark, it’s not just Alamy I can’t get, but I can get any website. I also put in the address you gave me, and it didn’t work. I think it’s my modem, which is one of those combo modem/WiFi things rented from my provider. I’ve actually had better success with it than when I bought my own.

We had a close lightning strike after the last time I booted up the iMac previous to the trouble. While I have a good surge protector connected, it may need upgrading, too. It’s long in the tooth.

You all know this stuff isn’t my forte. I struggle to understand why I can surf on my iPad and not be able to on my iMac. Why does one work and the other one doesn’t?

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.

Step by step to use your Personal Hotspot to get online:

> have both your iPhone and you Mac in front of you

> turn both on

> go to Settings on your iPhone

> click on Personal Hotspot

> click on Allow Others to Join

> on your Mac open the WiFi list

> chose Personal Hotspot

When MDM was advising me about the troubles I was having with Adobe CC, he said at one point that to really be helpful, you have the helper sitting next to you. That is often the case. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NToTQfrdNHg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here is more information and possibly clearer (or more confusing). 

To use your Personal Hotspot to connect to the Internet, you need to have data in your phone plan. Because I don't have WiFi, I choose to have unlimited data.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I8PlqRjX-c

Oops, I don’t have unlimited data. My usage is usually pretty low, so I didn’t get unlimited. What a good link, though, Ed. I understand better. I think I have 3 Gig…but not sure.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Oops, I don’t have unlimited data. My usage is usually pretty low, so I didn’t get unlimited. What a good link, though, Ed. I understand better. I think I have 3 Gig…but not sure.

Personal Hotspot is useful for a quick fix here but there may be conditions from your mobile (cell phone) provider that forbid or limit its usage. Do you have a cellular iPad with an active contract? If not then the iPad  is using the modem to connect to the internet so it is not a modem problem.

If that is the case then check the Network settings in System Prefs. Have you accidentally turned off WiFi. Can you connect the computer to the modem using an ethernet cable if you have one?

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

I think the modem should be fine if the iPad can still surf the internet and connect to Alamy. This suggests the problem is on the iMac. If you haven't already tried this, fully shutdown and then restart the iMac.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Step by step to use your Personal Hotspot to get online:

> have both your iPhone and you Mac in front of you

> turn both on

> go to Settings on your iPhone

> click on Personal Hotspot

> click on Allow Others to Join

> on your Mac open the WiFi list

> chose Personal Hotspot

When MDM was advising me about the troubles I was having with Adobe CC, he said at one point that to really be helpful, you have the helper sitting next to you. That is often the case. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NToTQfrdNHg

Many thanks, I've made a note of the instructions in case I need in the future....

Carol😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I think the modem should be fine if the iPad can still surf the internet and connect to Alamy. This suggests the problem is on the iMac. If you haven't already tried this, fully shutdown and then restart the iMac.

Mark

Unless it is a cellular iPad. Betty says above she made the iPad a Personal Hotspot. I don't think it is possible to do this on a WiFi only iPad. I certainly can't see anything on mine whereas it is really obvious on the iPhone. So, if that is correct, she is using a cellular connection on the iPad and it is a problem with the modem or the computer settings.

I presume she has already tried restarting the computer which is the first thing to do in any case. If not and that does not work, then she could try turning off the Mobile Data setting on one of the mobile devices and see if she can connect that device using WiFi. If so it is likely to be a computer setting.

• Like 1

I turned off the hot spot on my iPad after it didn’t work. I have turned the iMac off and on several times, as many as 6 times. I did everything in my very limited knowledge to try to get it fixed before bothering you all.  I don’t know how to tell if it is a cellular iPad or a WiFi one. It’s a fifth generation iPad, so not so new.

Where do I find the Mobile Data setting? I’ll try it on my phone, since it’s iPhone 12 Pro.

Oh, I found WiFi calling on my phone and it’s off. The “about” sounds like that’s a carrier thing, whether it’s enabled or not. That’s not what you are talking about, is it?

The first thing I did, which has fixed it in the past, is to disconnected all of the wires from the modem, wait, then reconnect. I’ve done that twice, no luck. Then I requested my carrier to remotely reset the modem, and it failed to reset twice.

And…I wouldn’t recognize what an Ethernet cable looked like if it raised up and bit me! 🤣 Or where to plug it in if I did recognize it. I looked at my iPad “about” info, and saw a cellular number listed. I assume that means it’s cellular.

I’ll call my provider this morning when their office opens, it’s not quite 8 a.m. here and they won’t open until 9 or 10.

As usual, you all are wonderful to help.

Edited by Betty LaRue

17 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I turned off the hot spot on my iPad after it didn’t work. I have turned the iMac off and on several times, as many as 6 times. I did everything in my very limited knowledge to try to get it fixed before bothering you all.  I don’t know how to tell if it is a cellular iPad or a WiFi one. It’s a fifth generation iPad, so not so new.

Where do I find the Mobile Data setting? I’ll try it on my phone, since it’s iPhone 12 Pro.

Oh, I found WiFi calling on my phone and it’s off. The “about” sounds like that’s a carrier thing, whether it’s enabled or not. That’s not what you are talking about, is it?

The first thing I did, which has fixed it in the past, is to disconnected all of the wires from the modem, wait, then reconnect. I’ve done that twice, no luck. Then I requested my carrier to remotely reset the modem, and it failed to reset twice.

And…I wouldn’t recognize what an Ethernet cable looked like if it raised up and bit me! 🤣 Or where to plug it in if I did recognize it. I looked at my iPad “about” info, and saw a cellular number listed. I assume that means it’s cellular.

I’ll call my provider this morning when their office opens, it’s not quite 8 a.m. here and they won’t open until 9 or 10.

It must be a cellular iPad in that case and you must be or have been paying a contract with a mobile provider to ever use it in cellular mode - basically it is a very big phone. Turn off WiFi on the iPad and see if you are still connecting to the internet - it should show something like 3G or 4G at the top like on the phone. It sounds like it might be the modem gone to me - maybe the storm has damaged it. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I feel your pain Betty especially about the Ethernet cable and most other things 😄hope you manage to get it sorted, looking forward to knowing how....

Carol

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I feel your pain Betty especially about the Ethernet cable and most other things 😄hope you manage to get it sorted, looking forward to knowing how....

Carol

An ethernet cable may sound exotic but ethernet is actually very common. It has been around a long time but has been keeping up with the times and most desktop Macs have an ethernet socket or two. If you look on the back of your iMac you will see an ethernet socket - a rectangular hole with a little notch. If you had an ethernet cable you would connect one end into that socket and the other into a similar socket on your modem (most modems that I have come across have them). It is an alternative to WiFi and generally much better - faster and more stable. I use ethernet rather than WiFi at home. 

• Love 1

OK, if you don't recognise an ethernet cable, do you have a cable plugged in the Ethernet socket on the back of your iMac? It's the one closest to the Power connector.

apple-12q4-imac-rear-lg.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If you don't have an ethernet cable connected here, then your iMac (when it was working) would have been using Wi-Fi to connect to your internet router.

If you're still able to "surf" using your iPad, then go to this web-address on your iPad and follow the instructions

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlf4de377f/mac

It gives help on debugging your wi-fi/internet connection on your iMac

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

19 minutes ago, MDM said:

An ethernet cable may sound exotic but ethernet is actually very common. It has been around a long time but has been keeping up with the times and most desktop Macs have an ethernet socket or two. If you look on the back of your iMac you will see an ethernet socket - a rectangular hole with a little notch. If you had an ethernet cable you would connect one end into that socket and the other into a similar socket on your modem (most modems that I have come across have them). It is an alternative to WiFi and generally much better - faster and more stable. I use ethernet rather than WiFi at home. 

Ah thank you, yes it appears I have an Ethernet cable 😁 hopefully Betty will have one also...

Carol

Oh, thank you. I bought a new Ethernet cable a few months ago, I just didn’t remember what it was called. I took the broken one to the store, showed it to a guy and he fetched a new one for me. Now I know! 😊 I have many various old wires in a box and don’t have a clue what they are for. My grandson, when he was 12, could hook me up and say what each wire was for.

I just got off the phone with my provider. We checked many things, but what isn’t working is WiFi. Looking at that on the iMac, it should have a check mark, but all it showed was a locked lock.

The provider guy remotely rebooted the modem, said the modem is working fine, but nothing helped. Safari still says there is no internet connection.

I learned something new. I noticed I still have a Firefox icon on my desktop, so after I hung up from the tech guy, I tried it. Lo and behold, it connected, I got the Alamy website and uploaded my pictures. This tells me it is a Safari problem only. I have Apple’s tech help phone number, so when I have time to sit on the phone forever until I hatch a tech person, I’ll do that so we can problem solve Safari.

UNLESS you all know what to do with Safari.

My provider did suggest I trade out my modem for a new one just because it’s aging. That was set up online for me, so all I need to do is go to the store, pick it up, install it, then take the old one back. I’ll let my son-in-law connect it.  I think I could do it connection-wise, but probably would make a mess of knowing how to find the area to put my preferred user name and password on the new one.

It takes a village, and you guys are my village. 😘

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And, Miss B, you have turned the WiFi off and on again? I had to do that to do a fix at my friend's place in Brooklyn. 

An iPhone 12 Pro? You can fly to the moon on that sucker!

Ed, you provided my chuckle of the day. It’ll have to try the moon launch, now. See the deal I discovered…not WiFi per se but SAFARI!!