Doomed

Bryan

Recently our younger son put his house on the market. I did consider volunteering to take some shots armed with a tripod and 12  mm lens, but he lives 120 miles away.

Then I looked at the estate agent's website where this humble property was displayed with bright and sharp walk around views of every part of the building and a click through diagrammatic menu to move between floors and rooms. Apparently they had used a clever gadget that not only provided 360 deg views of every space but had also measured all of the rooms so that they could provide an accurate floor plan. 

My photo gear is obsolete, and I have no intention of upgrading ...........

12 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Gear becomes outdated. I don't think photographers will.

An App or a drone or can't coax the shy and retiring person out of their shell.

Here's one I did earlier...

😄 Nice one, but, increasingly high tech is eroding traditional areas of our activity, and making it easier has translated into lower and still lower fees. Drones, auto stitch panoramas, increasingly capable phone cameras etc  etc.  Bring back the smelly chemicals, manual everything and 8 shots on a roll of B&W.  I remember having to work without an exposure meter and using experience to judge the settings, often getting it wrong !

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

On 09/08/2021 at 07:50, Bryan said:

Recently our younger son put his house on the market. I did consider volunteering to take some shots armed with a tripod and 12  mm lens, but he lives 120 miles away.

Then I looked at the estate agent's website where this humble property was displayed with bright and sharp walk around views of every part of the building and a click through diagrammatic menu to move between floors and rooms. Apparently they had used a clever gadget that not only provided 360 deg views of every space but had also measured all of the rooms so that they could provide an accurate floor plan. 

My photo gear is obsolete, and I have no intention of upgrading ...........

More of the 360 degree shots are created in this dreadful pandemic time where lot of virtual viewings takes place. Tech has always been changing and the pandemic has only made more people to use from these 360 shots to zoom calls etc.

On 09/08/2021 at 08:32, Bryan said:

😄 Nice one, but, increasingly high tech is eroding traditional areas of our activity, and making it easier has translated into lower and still lower fees. Drones, auto stitch panoramas, increasingly capable phone cameras etc  etc.  Bring back the smelly chemicals, manual everything and 8 shots on a roll of B&W.  I remember having to work without an exposure meter and using experience to judge the settings, often getting it wrong !

Lol at 8 shots on a roll of B&W. My first camera was a brownie 127 in 1959 with 8 shots to a roll. One thought about each one. And got a big neg, which helped make up for a plastic lens. And this is me with our dog taken on it by my mother:

2BJ4XAW.jpg

• Love 3

I recall using a Brownie or similar camera, still have the negative somewhere. A shot of a British Railways standard class steam loco at Newcastle - a relatively rare sight, a bit like spotting a lesser humped pied warbler on Brighton Pier.

However, once I had found a job working in a bar while still at school, I accumulated sufficient funds to buy a used Rolleicord (£25). Only regret was that I wasn't able to make more use of it. Money, study etc.

Here's a shot of the pit where my best mate's dad was the winding engine man.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I recall using a Brownie or similar camera, still have the negative somewhere. A shot of a British Railways standard class steam loco at Newcastle - a relatively rare sight, a bit like spotting a lesser humped pied warbler on Brighton Pier.

However, once I had found a job working in a bar while still at school, I accumulated sufficient funds to buy a used Rolleicord (£25). Only regret was that I wasn't able to make more use of it. Money, study etc.

Here's a shot of the pit where my best mate's dad was the winding engine man.

Ahhh. Nostalgia.  Mine was the Sunderland pit. You know where they built The Stadium of Light. I think the pitch is directly over the shaft.😃

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Ahhh. Nostalgia.  Mine was the Sunderland pit. You know where they built The Stadium of Light. I think the pitch is directly over the shaft.😃

Allan

You mean this one Allan ? There were  four shafts, the big concrete tower was for lifting the coal, the others for other purposes. This now stands near the entrance to the stadium.

Did you have a connection to Monkwearmouth Colliery ?

Edited by Bryan

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

You mean this one Allan ? There were  four shafts, the big concrete tower was for lifting the coal, the others for other purposes. This now stands near the entrance to the stadium.

Did you have a connection to Monkwearmouth Colliery ?

Hi Bryan, Thanks for posting the photos.  No I did not have any connection with the pit. Would pass it many times though. I remember when the old football ground was still in use many years ago standing outside of our house as a young lad and hearing the "Roker Roar", one and a half miles away as the crow flew.

Allan