Photoshop not responding on Macbook

Joe

Question

I'm using a MacBook Pro, 2020 model; Big Sur. Photoshop has suddenly started playing up. When I open it i see the Photoshop

Splash screen and the the spinning wheel; Photoshop not responding message in Finder. I've tried reinstalling which doesn't

make a difference. Lightroom is still working fine. 

Anyone had the same problem? I had a chat with Adobe, tried a couple of things they suggested to no avail.

I actually posted about this a few days ago, but mine was on Windows.  I had done a reinstall, but saved preferences, and that made it crash.  I did notice that the gpu and PS were both crashing at the same time.  I did update my GPU drivers, but that didn't help.  Then I uninstalled PS.  I went in to the Adobe folder and removed any folders that were PS related and put them on my desktop just in case I needed them.  Did a fresh install, and this time a total clean install, didn't save preferences.  That worked for me.

I did end up losing a few brushes, actions and patterns that I hadn't backed up yet, but nothing too important. It did install my Topaz and Luminar filters.

Jill

On 21/05/2021 at 22:01, Jill Morgan said:

I actually posted about this a few days ago, but mine was on Windows.  I had done a reinstall, but saved preferences, and that made it crash.  I did notice that the gpu and PS were both crashing at the same time.  I did update my GPU drivers, but that didn't help.  Then I uninstalled PS.  I went in to the Adobe folder and removed any folders that were PS related and put them on my desktop just in case I needed them.  Did a fresh install, and this time a total clean install, didn't save preferences.  That worked for me.

I did end up losing a few brushes, actions and patterns that I hadn't backed up yet, but nothing too important. It did install my Topaz and Luminar filters.

Jill

Thanks, Jill. 

I've created a new user/administrator on the Macbook. I can open Photoshop from their but still can't open it from my main user/admin. Obviously

a Mac not an Adobe issue. I'll do some Googling.

Joe

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Thanks, Michael. Much appreciated.

As I can't open Photoshop from my main log in/user, I assume I will have to reset preferences manually. I will have a go later this evening.

You can just hold command-option-shift first and then open Photoshop or you can delete the existing prefs. You would lose your prefs so should back them up first if important. The instructions are in that link. 

Edited by MDM

39 minutes ago, MDM said:

You can just hold command-option-shift first and then open Photoshop or you can delete the existing prefs. You would lose your prefs so should back them up first if important. The instructions are in that link. 

Photoshop not responding with the command-option-shift prompt. Just get the splash screen and spinning wheel. The instructions for resetting preferences seem to assume

you are able to open Photoshop. As I said, i can open Photoshop by creating another log in/user. I'll read up on using new user/log in.

On 21/05/2021 at 21:09, Joe said:

I'm using a MacBook Pro, 2020 model; Big Sur. Photoshop has suddenly started playing up. When I open it i see the Photoshop

Splash screen and the the spinning wheel; Photoshop not responding message in Finder. I've tried reinstalling which doesn't

make a difference. Lightroom is still working fine. 

Anyone had the same problem? I had a chat with Adobe, tried a couple of things they suggested to no avail.

Is the latest upgrade of PS compatible with Big Sur ?

I've found when PS stops responding that turning off GPU works.

Got o Preferences, then on the right hand side of that section you will see 'GPU performance'.

Untick the box, and see what happens.

lf all else fails you can take a step back to High Sierra until the bugs are fixed.

I

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Thanks, Jill. 

I've created a new user/administrator on the Macbook. I can open Photoshop from their but still can't open it from my main user/admin. Obviously

a Mac not an Adobe issue. I'll do some Googling.

Joe

Have you used 'Get Info' and changed the permissions ? Sometimes that works.

9 minutes ago, BidC said:

Got o Preferences, then on the right hand side of that section you will see 'GPU performance'.

lf all else fails you can take a step back to High Sierra until the bugs are fixed.

I

Thanks. I've been using Photoshop since the Big Sur update; until a couple of days ago when it started "not responding" ( from this log in/user ). 

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

Thanks. I've been using Photoshop since the Big Sur update; until a couple of days ago when it started "not responding" ( from this log in/user ). 

Did you try turning off the GPU ?

Mine has periods of this (I'm still on High Sierra). I've found that turning off the GPU works.

I think you mentioned a Google search - I've found it more effective to find others who have found a solution, rather than speaking to Adobe (though I totally understand doing that to start with).

Edited by BidC

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

Photoshop not responding with the command-option-shift prompt. Just get the splash screen and spinning wheel. The instructions for resetting preferences seem to assume

you are able to open Photoshop. As I said, i can open Photoshop by creating another log in/user. I'll read up on using new user/log in.

You could try deleting the prefs manually as explained in that link and even reinstalling after manually deleting the prefs if that doesn't work. However, switching to a new user login is not a big deal either.

I think turning off the GPU is more of a performance thing. It should not stop Photoshop opening as far as I know. 

If I recall correctly, your Mac is quite new but not an M1 MacBook Pro. In any case it is unlikely to be an issue as Photoshop is fully compatible with Intel and Silicon Macs now.

Edited by MDM

46 minutes ago, BidC said:

I

Photoshop is fully compatible with Big Sur for both types of Mac (Intel and Silicon).

I think Joe got this Mac new last year so going back to High Sierra is not an option as you can't go back any further than the OS that came with the Mac. That would probably be Catalina or Mojave at the earliest. 

12 minutes ago, BidC said:

Did you try turning off the GPU ?

Mine has periods of this (I'm still on High Sierra). I've found that turning off the GPU works.

I think you mentioned a Google search - I've found it more effective to find others who have found a solution, rather than speaking to Adobe (though I totally understand doing that to start with).

Yes, have tried turning off GPU? No difference.

I ended up with that spinning wheel all the time and pics very slow to load, commands in RAW processing taking too long.  Mind you I had three versions of Photoshop still and all the associated files from each and every image processed. - not sure what those are called. Just overload everywhere. I deleted everything and downloaded the most recent version and started fresh. Everything going much better now.

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

You could try deleting the prefs manually as explained in that link and even reinstalling after manually deleting the prefs. However, switching to a new user login is not a big deal either.

I think turning off the GPU is more of a performance thing. It should not stop Photoshop opening as far as I know. 

If I recall correctly, your Mac is quite new but not an M1 MacBook Pro. In any case it is unlikely to be an issue as Photoshop is fully compatible with Intel and Silicon Macs now.

I think I´ll go down the new user/log in route. Followed the instructions in the link to delete manually but don't see the Photoshop settings folder which

should be here: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings.

Not being the most techy person, the new user/log in looks the least daunting option.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think I´ll go down the new user/log in route. Followed the instructions in the link to delete manually but don't see the Photoshop settings folder which

should be here: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings.

Not being the most techy person, the new user/log in looks the least daunting option.

It should be called Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp. Normally if Photoshop starts up after deleting it, it will create a new file something weird is happening. As a last resort, try copying the same file in your new login over to the same place in the old one and see what happens. 

Edited by MDM

14 minutes ago, MDM said:

Photoshop is fully compatible with Big Sur for both types of Mac (Intel and Silicon).

I think Joe got this Mac new last year so going back to High Sierra is not an option as you can't go back any further than the OS that came with the Mac. That would probably be Catalina or Mojave at the earliest. 

Actually I thought I was still on HS, but in fact am on Catalina. I found once before that going back to the previous version helped with issues. It depends how well established Big Sur is functioning with PS now, and whether Adobe have ironed out all the bugs that go alongside a new platfrom, as to whether it's worth using an earlier platform.

In any event tuning off GPU worked for me (though as I say I'm still on Catalina).

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yes, have tried turning off GPU? No difference.

Oh dear -  have you picked up any info on the Google search ?

Does an earlier version of PS work any better ?

I'm stumped otherwise (very sorry ..).

I guess you've seen this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-not-responding-after-macos-big-sur-update/m-p/11669346 (from Dec 2020)

This from a May 2021 posting 

• Photoshop 2020 – Photoshop 22.x is compatible (with Big Sur) but there are a few known issues.
Edited by BidC

5 minutes ago, BidC said:

Actually I thought I was still on HS, but in fact am on Catalina. I found once before that going back to the previous version helped with issues. It depends how well established Big Sur is functioning with PS now, and whether Adobe have ironed out all the bugs that go alongside a new platfrom, as to whether it's worth using an earlier platform.

In any event tuning off GPU worked for me (though as I say I'm still on Catalina).

Turning off the GPU might be necessary if it is an oldish computer or the GPU is not up to the specs but I just looked back in the forum and Joe's computer is only a year old and quite high specced so that should not be a problem. As I said above, there is no inherent problem with Big Sur and Photoshop. It has been around about 6 months now. I have had no problems with it at all. 

Edited by MDM

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

Turning off the GPU might be necessary if it is an oldish computer or the GPU is not up to the specs but I just looked back in the forum and Joe's computer is only a year old and quite high specced so that should not be a problem. As I said above, there is no inherent problem with Big Sur and Photoshop. It has been around about 6 months now. I have had no problems with it at all. 

That is not what the internet is saying ... https://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+not+responding+Big+sur&client=safari&rls=en&ei=80utYOO2Huua1fAPqeu62Ao&oq=photoshop+not+responding+Big+sur&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAw6BggAEAcQHjoICAAQBxAFEB5QihdYgSpg-TloAHAAeACAAV6IAfUEkgEBOZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwij_LDhxOXwAhVrTRUIHam1DqsQ4dUDCA0

Anyway, I'll leave you to it. I don't usually update until all the bugs are fixed (both platform and Adobe), so if at all possible (in my humble opinion) it's worth going back to the previous version (of both perhaps) and seeing how that goes.

From Adobe : https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html (I haven't followed the 'known issues' link).

Edited by BidC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

As I mentioned earlier, up until a couple of days ago no problems with Big Sur/Photoshop.

Yes - but that doesn't mean that something hasn't happened in the meantime.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it. 

best wishes,

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

It should be called Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp. Normally if Photoshop starts up after deleting it, it will create a new file something weird is happening. As a last resort, try copying the same file in your new login over to the same place in the old one and see what happens. 

Thanks, Michael. At the moment I can't find Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp. I'll try later or tomorrow. Heading out for a run to reset my settings.

6 minutes ago, BidC said:

That is not what the internet is saying ... https://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+not+responding+Big+sur&client=safari&rls=en&ei=80utYOO2Huua1fAPqeu62Ao&oq=photoshop+not+responding+Big+sur&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAw6BggAEAcQHjoICAAQBxAFEB5QihdYgSpg-TloAHAAeACAAV6IAfUEkgEBOZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwij_LDhxOXwAhVrTRUIHam1DqsQ4dUDCA0

Anyway, I'll leave you to it. I don't usually update until all the bugs are fixed (both platform and Adobe), so if at all possible (in my humble opinion) it's worth going back to the previous version (of both perhaps) and seeing how that goes.

From Adobe : https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html (I haven't followed the 'known issues' link).

The internet stuff you mention is dated Nov Dec 2020.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Thanks, Michael. At the moment I can't find Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp. I'll try later or tomorrow. Heading out for a run to reset my settings.

Enjoy that Joe. I would love to be in Gran Canaria right now. 😎

EDIT: Make sure you have the latest Big Sur update as well - now macOs 11.4

Edited by MDM