Photoshop not responding on Macbook

Joe

Question

I'm using a MacBook Pro, 2020 model; Big Sur. Photoshop has suddenly started playing up. When I open it i see the Photoshop

Splash screen and the the spinning wheel; Photoshop not responding message in Finder. I've tried reinstalling which doesn't

make a difference. Lightroom is still working fine. 

Anyone had the same problem? I had a chat with Adobe, tried a couple of things they suggested to no avail.

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Enjoy that Joe. I would love to be in Gran Canaria right now. 😎

Blowing a gale here in Las Palmas at the moment; a balmy 24 degrees though.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

Blowing a gale here in Las Palmas at the moment; a balmy 24 degrees though.

Sounds perfect (24° that is, not so much the gale). Weather here in England has been terrible for ages. The coldest May I ever remember. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

The internet stuff you mention is dated Nov Dec 2020.

Not all of it. Further down the page is an entry from May 2021 where it acknowledges that PS has issues with Big Sur. 

7 minutes ago, BidC said:

Not all of it. Further down the page is an entry from May 2021 where it acknowledges that PS has issues with Big Sur. 

Well I have to say you don't give up easily 🤣. The only thing I see there is a compatibility issue with something called Tool Farm. I presume this is a plugin. If there were serious general issues with Photoshop and Big Sur, then it would show very likely at the top of the search. The very best place to get this type of info is on the Adobe forums in fact. Thankfully I have had no issues to date. 

23 hours ago, MDM said:

EDIT: Make sure you have the latest Big Sur update as well - now macOs 11.4

Updated this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Excuse my Mac ignorance (and Windows) but when I create a new Admin user how do I access the folders/files created in my main user account?
Hope I'm making sense. As I said in an earlier post, I can open Photoshop from the new user account but not from my main user account.

On 25/05/2021 at 20:18, Joe said:

As I mentioned earlier, up until a couple of days ago no problems with Big Sur/Photoshop.

If it makes you feel any better, the whole of Creative Cloud is taking strike action (on my laptop) this evening. It happens from time to time. I hope you soon have your problem sorted. best wishes.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Updated this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Excuse my Mac ignorance (and Windows) but when I create a new Admin user how do I access the folders/files created in my main user account?
Hope I'm making sense. As I said in an earlier post, I can open Photoshop from the new user account but not from my main user account.

It's one of those things that is easy if you know what you are doing but not so easy if you don't. It is similar to setting uo a new computer. You need to copy some files across from one to the other and probably set up email again etc. It will depend on what apps you have installed and how much stuff you want to move across. If you are using iCloud that can make it easier as well.

I would suggest having another go with the existing login first as it might be a lot easier. First of all, just check that your Photoshop prefs file is definitely missing by holding down the option (alt) key in the Finder and then hitting Go-Library-Preferences-Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings and see if the file Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp is there. If it is then move it out to your desktop. Either way reinstall Photoshop. 

Edited by MDM

12 hours ago, BidC said:

If it makes you feel any better, the whole of Creative Cloud is taking strike action (on my laptop) this evening. It happens from time to time. I hope you soon have your problem sorted. best wishes.

Thanks, Bridget.

11 hours ago, MDM said:

It's one of those things that is easy if you know what you are doing but not so easy if you don't. It is similar to setting uo a new computer. You need to copy some files across from one to the other and probably set up email again etc. It will depend on what apps you have installed and how much stuff you want to move across. If you are using iCloud that can make it easier as well.

I would suggest having another go with the existing login first as it might be a lot easier. First of all, just check that your Photoshop prefs file is definitely missing by holding down the option (alt) key in the Finder and then hitting Go-Library-Preferences-Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings and see if the file Adobe Photoshop 2021 Prefs.psp is there. If it is then move it out to your desktop. Either way reinstall Photoshop. 

Now that the Villareal fan next door has finally turned off the all night party music, I can concentrate!

From my existing login in Adobe 2021 settings the Prefs.psp isn't there. 

As well as the Adobe Photoshop 2021 settings file there is a Photoshop 2020 settings file and a Photoshop 2021 settings.old file.
Adobe told me to add the .old to see if it solved the problem when I contacted them last week.

If I log in from the new login where Photoshop opens, I can see the Prefs.psp file in settings.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Now that the Villareal fan next door has finally turned off the all night party music, I can concentrate!

From my existing login in Adobe 2021 settings the Prefs.psp isn't there. 

As well as the Adobe Photoshop 2021 settings file there is a Photoshop 2020 settings file and a Photoshop 2021 settings.old file.
Adobe told me to add the .old to see if it solved the problem when I contacted them last week.

If I log in from the new login where Photoshop opens, I can see the Prefs.psp file in settings.

Have you tried reinstalling Photoshop? 

As for Villareal, I watched the game. No wonder he is excited. The shootout was one of the best I have ever seen and it was an amazing achievement for a small town team against the mighty Man Utd but I am glad I don't live next door to them. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Have you tried reinstalling Photoshop? 

As for Villareal, I watched the game. No wonder he is excited. The shootout was one of the best I have ever seen and it was an amazing achievement for a small town team against the mighty Man Utd but I am glad I don't live next door to them. 

Yes, one hell of a shootout!

I have tried reinstalling; doesn't make a difference. After uninstalling and before reinstalling I had a look in preferences, there are still a couple of Adobe Photoshop 2020 and 2021 settings files there. Manually delete them?

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Yes, one hell of a shootout!

I have tried reinstalling; doesn't make a difference. After uninstalling and before reinstalling I had a look in preferences, there are still a couple of Adobe Photoshop 2020 and 2021 settings files there. Manually delete them?

I guess it won't do any harm at this point. I would uninstall the older version as well.

To be honest if it was me I would just move everything over to the new login but if you don't know how to do that it could turn into a bigger job. 

(Disclaimer - I am not responsible for anything that might happen based on anything I say here 😎).

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

(Disclaimer - I am not responsible for anything that might happen based on anything I say here 😎).

That sounds like a cabinet meeting quote 😉.

17 hours ago, MDM said:

I've been spending too much time in the contracts post. 

I'll concentrate on new contract issues/decisions when the dust finally settles 😒

I deleted all the old Photoshop files from settings folder and reinstalled; still not working from main user/login. Works fine from new user login. I'll
read up on moving/sharing files, Lightroom... with new user login.

Thanks for all your advice/help

No problem Joe. I think you probably know a lot more than you think or say so you should not find it difficult to move to a new login. Adobe have good guidance on where the various settings files are so that is not difficult as you are already down at that level in the user Library. Happy to try to answer any further questions if you have any. 

8 hours ago, MDM said:

No problem Joe. I think you probably know a lot more than you think or say so you should not find it difficult to move to a new login. Adobe have good guidance on where the various settings files are so that is not difficult as you are already down at that level in the user Library. Happy to try to answer any further questions if you have any. 

A little knowledge...!

Not sure wether I need to move the Lightroom catalog to the shared folder, or copy the catalog, open the new user login and paste it in there.

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

A little knowledge...!

Not sure wether I need to move the Lightroom catalog to the shared folder, or copy the catalog, open the new user login and paste it in there.

I would copy the catalog over to the new login rather than use shared folders as a long term solution. That does sound like a good way of moving things across though. I would tend to copy to an external drive but shared folders might be faster. As always there are more ways than one to do things.