Help! Plant ID websites used

Tony ALS

Question

I admit to being no botanist and have never owned my own garden. 

I hesitate to photograph flora sometimes as I struggle to correctly identify so much.

I add latin names and try to make sure I get them right but any hints for useful websites would be appreciated.

I have asked on the forum in the past and have gratefully received help but don't want to be a regular pest!

Thank you all in advance.

17 answers to this question

I use Seek by iNaturalist, which is free.

It's found only about a 60% success rate for exact species though, but its better than nothing and sometimes it will give you the general genera so that you can search online further.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjP9cL-46DwAhXoQxUIHRPlAN8QFjAAegQIFRAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.inaturalist.org%2Fpages%2Fseek_app&usg=AOvVaw32i7Ebj10o5hvbUzYV8fz2

John.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

My daughter recommended https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.plantnet&hl=en_GB&gl=US

I had similar problems identifying plants and this app works very well.

There's a version for Apple too https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/plantnet/id600547573

+1, I find PlantNet useful

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

I admit to being no botanist and have never owned my own garden. 

I hesitate to photograph flora sometimes as I struggle to correctly identify so much.

I add latin names and try to make sure I get them right but any hints for useful websites would be appreciated.

I have asked on the forum in the past and have gratefully received help but don't want to be a regular pest!

Thank you all in advance.

For cultivars you won't find any comprehensive sites - for Roses alone there are probably (historically) in to five figures of named cultivars.  The trick is to ask when shooting if possible, field identification is always the best.  There are national collections of cultivars/garden genus all over the world (a lot in UK especially) and the owners/custodians are often more than helpful.

For wild species you really just need a decent flora for that country.  I carry a copy of Stace for example when shooting in UK.  If you look up how many subspecies etc some plants have, a forum or website identication is usually laughable.

Not the answer you wanted but prehaps more realistic than the apps I've tried out of curiosity. They won't identify the salient identifcation feature ...... you have to either cover that in pictures or risk misidentification....... scale of flower for example never shows up in pictures.

Edited by GeoffK
  • Thanks 1

Check (click through with Seek) Wikipedia for more details, or family specific sites (orchids, bromeliads).  Wikipedia has some good entries on various funguses/fungi.  I have Seek (iNaturalist program mentioned already) and Lens (Google) on my phone (Android).  Some of the other programs are houseplant or temperate garden centric and so not helpful where I live. 

Other option is find a Facebook science group in a field and ask there.  If you have zero botanical knowledge, try a basic botany text for undergraduates to pick up some sense of what the parts are and terms like monocot and dicot, parts of foliage, and types of foliage.  Wikipedia has entries for a lot of this. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Apparently this app requires BIG SUR and M1 chip.

Allan

Not sure about the memory requirements when it's running, but it only takes up 77MB on my phone.

p.s. think you copied someone else's quote under my name 🙃

41 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Not sure about the memory requirements when it's running, but it only takes up 77MB on my phone.

p.s. think you copied someone else's quote under my name 🙃

Sorry. Please accept my sincerest appologies.

Allan

Just now, Steve F said:

No worries, it can happen!

Thanks Steve. I seem to be having a bit of a thing with the "No worries" statement.  I have had a discussion with Sally about the phrase and she has explained  about it and how it is used generally in Australia. It seems to be catching on here now. Perhaps because of the TV Australian wine advert.

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Thanks Steve. I seem to be having a bit of a thing with the "No worries" statement.  I have had a discussion with Sally about the phrase and she has explained  about it and how it is used generally in Australia. It seems to be catching on here now. Perhaps because of the TV Australian wine advert.

Allan

Oh wow... Ok. I think I hear it quite a lot! Strange because I didn't watch Neighbours when I was younger. Maybe I've seen Crocodile Dundee too much....

8 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Oh wow... Ok. I think I hear it quite a lot! Strange because I didn't watch Neighbours when I was younger. Maybe I've seen Crocodile Dundee too much....

No worries.

Allan