2021 Lawrence Salley Award

Marianne

I just wanted to share some pix with you all along with the exciting news that I was a finalist for the 2021 Lawrence Salley Award, sponsored by the African American Men of Westchester, ArtsWestchester, and the Salley Family.  There are some wonderful photographers and I’m really honored to be among the finalists. Here’s a link to the virtual show that started streaming last week. Check out their work: http://artsw.org/lsalleyaward

Love to know what you all think of it. 

I've been concentrating more on fine art since Covid and am getting some traction. I've got to drop off work for a live show that opens in May, and I was in two other shows over the winter. Had some sales too and was taken on by an art consultant that sells work to corporate and institutional clients. When the world opens up, want to go back to shooting assignments as well, but fine art is good for the soul. Hope you like the pix! Thanks for looking. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Lovely work! Really nice black & white, film or converted from digital? 

And great to see such variety in the whole show.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

The work is digital but I do my best to get that film feel, so thanks for asking that question. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right. When I print, I use a lab that prints using a silver gelatin based Ilford paper specifically for black and white with a photo chemical process and I've been really happy with the results. I process my black and white images in Silver Efex Pro - have been using it for over a decade and while II've tried other programs, it's the best I've found, though I sometimes bring it into Color Efex Pro or Analog Efex Pro as well. 

I love the variety of images in the show, I only wish it was live. ArtsWestchester, the non-profits arts council here in NY hosting the show, is reopening with a show in May (with limited timed entry tickets) for work made during Covid in which I have a piece that I'm happy with, but I wish they'd done this show live first. 

Thanks for taking a look!

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Thanks Phil.

The work is digital but I do my best to get that film feel, so thanks for asking that question. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right. When I print, I use a lab that prints using a silver gelatin based Ilford paper specifically for black and white with a photo chemical process and I've been really happy with the results. I process my black and white images in Silver Efex Pro - have been using it for over a decade and while II've tried other programs, it's the best I've found, though I sometimes bring it into Color Efex Pro or Analog Efex Pro as well. 

I love the variety of images in the show, I only wish it was live. ArtsWestchester, the non-profits arts council here in NY hosting the show, is reopening with a show in May (with limited timed entry tickets) for work made during Covid in which I have a piece that I'm happy with, but I wish they'd done this show live first. 

Thanks for taking a look!

It is difficult to get that film look, especially if you've come from an analog background and have done your own printing, but Silver Efex is pretty good, I do use it as well.

Live exhibitions are something that will be a long time coming back I thnk.

Phil

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your kind word. 

I agree @John Mitchell Black and white to me is the purest form of photography. It's what got me excited about photography as a high school senior the first time I watched one of my images come to life in the darkroom. It's a different practice with digital, but I still love the feeling of discovery. I'm one of those people who has a hard time being quiet and slowing down, except when I'm out in nature with my camera. Suddenly my mind quiets down and I'm in the zone. I can get lost for hours. 

• Like 1