Topaz Sharpen AI

For anyone interested, Topaz Sharpen AI is on for $20 off, so $59.  Also any coupon code will even take it lower.  I used one from a photographer I follow on YouTube and got an additional 15% off.

I downloaded the trial about a week ago and have been really impressed with what it can do with those images that you know just don't quite make it in the focus department. Well worth the money.

Jill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

For anyone interested, Topaz Sharpen AI is on for $20 off, so $59.  Also any coupon code will even take it lower.  I used one from a photographer I follow on YouTube and got an additional 15% off.

I downloaded the trial about a week ago and have been really impressed with what it can do with those images that you know just don't quite make it in the focus department. Well worth the money.

Jill

There is probably going to be some naysayers regarding this app but I agree, it works wonders on some images.

I didn't upload this photo before because I thought it was too soft. Recently, I ran it through Sharpen AI and came up with this. Very pleased with the result.

people-playing-chess-outdoors-in-old-havana-cuba-2F00CCN.jpg

1 minute ago, Rico said:

There is probably going to be some naysayers regarding this app but I agree, it works wonders on some images.

I didn't upload this photo before because I thought it was too soft. Recently, I ran it through Sharpen AI and came up with this. Very pleased with the result.

I used it on this goose I put on Alamy last week.  The eye and beak were just slight out of focus.  And there is no way I would upload an image if the eye wasn't in focus, no matter how great the rest of the goose looked.

portrait-of-a-canada-goose-2F4PNE6.jpg

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

How does it work on an initially underexposed image, when correction introduces noise?

I tried it on a photo from my first digital camera (Nikon D200) which was underexposed and noisy. It did not turn out well.

Why not download the trial version and see for yourself?

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, Rico said:

I tried it on a photo from my first digital camera (Nikon D200) which was underexposed and noisy. It did not turn out well.

Why not download the trial version and see for yourself?

Thanks. I’m processing images from a D200 and D300. 2006 and 2009. Many of these images, even exposed decently, have more grain that my Fuji X-Ts produce. And they aren’t as crisp as mirrorless. It was only for some of these I was interested. I don’t know that I would buy it otherwise or look at the trial. Because soon I’ll be done with those older images.

Now, if you'd said it was a miracle worker on that D200 photo, I’d be in there trialing it as we speak! :P
I appreciate your answer.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks. I’m processing images from a D200 and D300. 2006 and 2009. Many of these images, even exposed decently, have more grain that my Fuji X-Ts produce. And they aren’t as crisp as mirrorless. It was only for some of these I was interested. I don’t know that I would buy it otherwise or look at the trial. Because soon I’ll be done with those older images.

Now, if you'd said it was a miracle worker on that D200 photo, I’d be in there trialing it as we speak! :P

The trial is for 30 days so you may get all those old images done before the trial runs out.  Very easy to use.

Jill

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

If noise and "grain" are the dominant issue then try Topaz Denoise as well. It also sharpens. There's quite a lot of overlap between the Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen capabilities.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

If noise and "grain" are the dominant issue then try Topaz Denoise as well. It also sharpens. There's quite a lot of overlap between the Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen capabilities.

Mark

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Processed these this morning.  Original too soft so used Sharpen AI.  These are 100% crops of the original image. 

This is the oriniginal image:

songsparroworiginal.jpg

This is after SharpenAI:

IMG_9848-1-song-sparrow-with-seed-in-mou

I think it did an amazing job. 

Jill

• Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Processed these this morning.  Original too soft so used Sharpen AI.  These are 100% crops of the original image. 

This is the oriniginal image:

songsparroworiginal.jpg

This is after SharpenAI:

IMG_9848-1-song-sparrow-with-seed-in-mou

I think it did an amazing job. 

Jill

Nice, I see the difference.

I've been using Topaz Denoise AI and Sharpen AI--but for family archive photos. Almost never for Alamy except for archival shots from slides. 

I've also been using them on old slides for putting on FAA--they've done wonders with grainy slides with less than perfect focus. Great prep for using Fotosketcher. 

Edited by Bill Kuta

They put out a major new version within the last few days, and have already issued 3 or 4 updates to it. It's been working fine for me except for one of those intermediate fixes.

I invoke it from Lightroom.

53 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

They put out a major new version within the last few days, and have already issued 3 or 4 updates to it

That does seem to be one of the frustrations with Topaz. The updates keep coming and the settings/behaviour can change between even minor updates. They call it constant improvement....

Mark

• Love 1