DACS Dilemma again

Jon Lewis

Question

Hi All 

Its DACS time again this year im lucky with a TV sale  Alamy won't say BBC or otherwise and DACS say they won't pay unless I say who its for how do you deal with this.

Jon

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 29 January 2021
Duration: In perpetuity

9 answers to this question

I have the same problem with 3 TV licenses for 2020 and DACS have said the same to me when I asked how I can claim.   I have managed in the past by sending my Alamy sales report but now they say they won't accept it. It seems very unfair that the artist is unable to claim.

Pearl

You can always ask Alamy to claim it for you. At least you would get something back.

I claim for other reproduced works but let Alamy claim for the TV licences.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You can always ask Alamy to claim it for you. At least you would get something back.

I claim for other reproduced works but let Alamy claim for the TV licences.

Allan

I didn't know you could do that Alan

But they still get their cut for withholding info

Edited by Jon Lewis

We have a crazy system that rewards the agency for withholding information from its contributors. And this is a system that is supposed to be about rewarding creators not agencies. 

Not so many years ago I emailed Members Services and asked about my TV uses and got an answer very quickly giving all that I need for my DACS claim.

Then the contract changed and I emailed again and was told that this information was not available. I pointed out that it had been very easily made available in the past and was told that it should not have been. 

It seems fairly likely to me that at the point of an image being licensed the TV company knows what is going to be used for and that Alamy are told. If not they are failing in their duty to manage our images. 

But they have a significant financial incentive not to help us. Think I am making it up? Read the Accounts submitted to Companies House. 

12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

We have a crazy system that rewards the agency for withholding information from its contributors. And this is a system that is supposed to be about rewarding creators not agencies. 

Not so many years ago I emailed Members Services and asked about my TV uses and got an answer very quickly giving all that I need for my DACS claim.

Then the contract changed and I emailed again and was told that this information was not available. I pointed out that it had been very easily made available in the past and was told that it should not have been. 

It seems fairly likely to me that at the point of an image being licensed the TV company knows what is going to be used for and that Alamy are told. If not they are failing in their duty to manage our images. 

But they have a significant financial incentive not to help us. Think I am making it up? Read the Accounts submitted to Companies House. 

Thank you for the info Ian Im sure that I miss out every year. What about a split claim like Alan suggests ?

Just now, Jon Lewis said:

Thank you for the info Ian Im sure that I miss out every year. What about a split claim like Alan suggests ?

Yes, I do that for TV uses. I claim the rest myself - the best I can spending ridiculous amounts of time on Google. But for TV uses there is no option so I accept the 50% split with Alamy.  I am surprised that anybody was able to make a claim for TV use just by sending their sales report. As far as I knew the BBC or ITV 

channel was always needed on the claim form.

• Like 1