Odd Q: People who need reading glasses, do you need them taking Photos?

meanderingemu

Question

Curious.  I have progressive glasses, but i am pretty sure i only use the near sighted part in most of the photo taking. 

Why i am asking is since I have a feeling masks are going to be a reality for a while, and i am struggling with the fogging up, if i should pick up some disposable contacts that correct my near sighted part (i used to have some for diving) for long outdoors photo excursions.  

14 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

Most modern cameras have dioptre adjustments for viewfinders  so there is no need for closeup glasses unless using live view. 

I think emu is having problems with the mask, not the viewfinder. He's trying to avoid glasses altogether. I wish I could.

Edited by spacecadet

33 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Curious.  I have progressive glasses, but i am pretty sure i only use the near sighted part in most of the photo taking. 

Why i am asking is since I have a feeling masks are going to be a reality for a while, and i am struggling with the fogging up, if i should pick up some disposable contacts that correct my near sighted part (i used to have some for diving) for long outdoors photo excursions.  

JFP,

Wow, having the same problem, with glasses fogging up.  I now carry microfiber cloths everywhere I go...  It is a pain, but the options are worse.

I have heard about rubbing shaving cream on your eyeglass lenses keeps them from fogging?  I've not tried it yet.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
accuuracy

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I think emu is having problems with the mask, not the viewfinder. He's trying to avoid glasses altogether. I wish I could.

Ok. I interpreted the question differently as he said he only uses the near sighted part of his glasses in most photo taking and he asked about disposable contacts for near sight correction. If that is what he meant then I was saying they are unnecessary if there is a viewfinder dioptre correction on the camera. We shall see when he returns. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

I wore progressive lenses for several years and always took them off when taking pictures. I did have to put them back on, though, to make camera adjustments. Now that I've had cataract surgery, I only need glasses for reading. Fortunately, my closeup vision is now good enough (just) to see the camera screen and dials. Fogging-up when wearing a mask was a real problem for me as well. There's a marketing possibility for some smart person who can design an inexpensive "fog-free" mask for people who wear "specs" (as my British parents used to say).

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I wore progressive lenses for several years and always took them off when taking pictures. I did have to put them back on, though, to make camera adjustments. Now that I've had cataract surgery, I only need glasses for reading. Fortunately, my closeup vision is now good enough (just) to see the camera screen and dials. Fogging-up when wearing a mask was a real problem for me as well. There's a marketing possibility for some smart person who can design an inexpensive "fog-free" mask for people who wear "specs" (as my British parents used to say).

My closeup vision is good enough to use the camera menus and dials without needing glasses although it can be a bit of a strain. I usually wear shades when outdoors taking pictures. I expect you might want to do that as well - as mentioned in the other thread, probably the biggest change along with the new excellent vision is the brightness. I take them off when shooting and have lost count of the number of pairs I have lost from putting  them in my pocket or damaged from putting them in my camera bag and then putting the camera in on top of them. I am down to my last pair right now and reluctant to shop for new ones before vaccinations as it means trying them on. 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I might have mentioned this before. Have you tried putting the nosepiece over the top of the mask? It helps a bit. Like this. Less in the cold weather.

2E031JB.jpg

We don't have to wear masks outdoors, though.

yeah, it works for short period but still fogs up after extended period outdoors plus due to astigmatism it plays with the angle so not optimal.

i have found masks that pinch nose work ok, but get uncomfortable after a while..... 

our guidelines are iffy on outdoors, plus i have found many people still are not serious about the pandemic, was told by 3 people yesterday it was all a scam yet again.... 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

but i think viewfinder would mean with the adjustment i could function with on near-sighted correcting contacts. so that would be an option...  

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

yeah, it works for short period but still fogs up after extended period outdoors plus due to astigmatism it plays with the angle so not optimal.

i have found masks that pinch nose work ok, but get uncomfortable after a while..... 

our guidelines are iffy on outdoors, plus i have found many people still are not serious about the pandemic, was told by 3 people yesterday it was all a scam yet again.... 

The Beautiful Daughter made our masks and they fit very well- she put in a nose wire as well. You're right about the angle, my astigmatism is minimal but it reduces the field of view so I have to be careful on the metro stairs.

All in all in winter I find myself just taking the glasses off when seated and put up with not being able to see much. But I certainly only wear a mask when legally required because of the glasses problem. Until I discovered my fix I dreaded the prospect. I've still only been on public transport four times, and in shops about twice, since we were forced to wear them.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The Beautiful Daughter made our masks and they fit very well- she put in a nose wire as well. You're right about the angle, my astigmatism is minimal but it reduces the field of view so I have to be careful on the metro stairs.

All in all in winter I find myself just taking the glasses off when seated and put up with not being able to see much. But I certainly only wear a mask when legally required because of the glasses problem. Until I discovered my fix I dreaded the prospect. I've still only been on public transport four times, and in shops about twice, since we were forced to wear them.

I have not been on public transport once since March.  It's been feet or bike (and a car rental when i moved to Ottawa)....  

We are seeing more people wearing masks outside especially with snow now making doing detours in street to avoid people a bit harder,  and even in parks- our guidelines say "mask in places of activities like rinks, ski/snowshoeing trails, sledding hills, and others"....  

so if i can do it effortlessly i have no problem (plus it provides protection from cold also), but not seeing a thing is a pain 

and with -6.0 vision, not wearing some corrective lenses is dangerous....