Adobe Lightroom and Macbook M1 compatibility

Hey all

Got a new Macbook Air M1 ( 8gb ram and 512 GB Storage).

Very disappointed at how slow it is running Lightroom.

Then had a look at Activity Monitor and saw that it is still running Intel architecture and not Apple.

I Read that Adobe launched a native Apple version of LR on 8 December....but this hasn't shown up in Adobe Creative cloud updates..

Has anyone managed to download the new version of LR or has it not been released yet?.

Thanks

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain Masterton said:

Hey all

Then had a look at Activity Monitor and saw that it is still running Intel architecture and not Apple.

I Read that Adobe launched a native Apple version of LR on 8 December....but this hasn't shown up in Adobe Creative cloud updates..

Has anyone managed to download the new version of LR or has it not been released yet?.

Thanks

Iain

The spec ()https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/) looks good but 8GB RAM seems rather underspecified. Can you upgrade to 16Gb? Would that speed things up a bit?

Just now, Jansos said:

The spec ()https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/) looks good but 8GB RAM seems rather underspecified. Can you upgrade to 16Gb? Would that speed things up a bit?

8GB isn't too bad when the storage drive is an SSD. I had to put 24GB in my iMac as I bought one with a standard spinning HD so any inpaging slows things significantly, but when out and about I still process on an MBA with only 4GB of RAM and it manages my 24MP images fine, a bit slow on the export but that's lack of processing power mainly.

I think Iain's problem is due to him inadvertently running the Intel version of LR.

Hi Iain.

The Apple looks like an impressive machine with some great reviews. Adobe recommend 16 GB of memory for Lightroom Classic, so 8GB may be a bit minimal.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

I have a desktop Intel iCore 7 system on Windows 10 Pro with 16 GB of memory and I noticed that Lightroom tries to grab about 7GB after loading my large image catalog and doing a few image edits.

Martin

• Like 1

Hey all

Thanks

Iain

My understanding is only Lightroom (the cloud version) has been updated.  Lightroom Classic is still Intel and will be for a while. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

• Like 1

As I posted in the Big Sur thread, Adobe are promising native versions of all their desktop apps in 2021 but dates are unspecified. Currently they run in emulation mode on the M1 machines. 

Apple are claiming that the way RAM and graphics are handled on the new chip is revolutionary and this is being backed up by independent testing on Final Cut Pro (video app) which is one of the few native apps to date. Final Cut Pro is far more demanding than LR or PS so it will be fascinating to see what the native apps are like. 

RAM can’t be upgraded on these machines, like the existing MacBooks

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

Well I looked at online reviews and they all said 8Gb should be good enough as it is better than previous RAM designs. So I went with the advice and just got the minimum. 

1 hour ago, MB Photography said:

Hi Iain.

The Apple looks like an impressive machine with some great reviews. Adobe recommend 16 GB of memory for Lightroom Classic, so 8GB may be a bit minimal.

I have a desktop Intel iCore 7 system on Windows 10 Pro with 16 GB of memory and I noticed that Lightroom tries to grab about 7GB after loading my large image catalog and doing a few image edits.

Martin

Hmmm.

Well the reviews I read said 8GB should be enough and I'm not looking for the ultimate in speed just good enough.

I don't mind waiting a bit longer for images to process ( mine are 42MP Somy RAW) but the laggyness and hesitancy in working with the images is a bit niggly at the moment.

Hopefully will speed up when native Apple silicon version is released

The reviews all said the new chip is amazing.

49 minutes ago, MDM said:

As I posted in the Big Sur thread, Adobe are promising native versions of all their desktop apps in 2021 but dates are unspecified. Currently they run in emulation mode on the M1 machines. 

Apple are claiming that the way RAM and graphics are handled on the new chip is revolutionary and this is being backed up by independent testing on Final Cut Pro (video app) which is one of the few native apps to date. Final Cut Pro is far more demanding than LR or PS so it will be fascinating to see what the native apps are like. 

RAM can’t be upgraded on these machines, like the existing MacBooks

That's what i understood so 8GB RAM hopefully is enough

I read that Lightroom was upgraded for M1 Macbooks on Dec 8 - obviously not correct.

5 hours ago, Iain Masterton said:

That's what i understood so 8GB RAM hopefully is enough

I read that Lightroom was upgraded for M1 Macbooks on Dec 8 - obviously not correct.

Are you storing files in the cloud or storing them locally?   The version for Lightroom (formerly Lightroom CC) is 4.1.   The version for Lightroom Classic is 10.1. 

The other issue could be internet connectivity speeds if you're not working on local copies of your photos.  My understanding from a brief play with Lightroom (cloud version) was that it could be set to save local copies, too.   Only photos I save to the Adobe cloud are iPad and  Huawei phone photos.

9 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Are you storing files in the cloud or storing them locally?   The version for Lightroom (formerly Lightroom CC) is 4.1.   The version for Lightroom Classic is 10.1. 

The other issue could be internet connectivity speeds if you're not working on local copies of your photos.  My understanding from a brief play with Lightroom (cloud version) was that it could be set to save local copies, too.   Only photos I save to the Adobe cloud are iPad and  Huawei phone photos.

I don't use LR CC ...just classic with local image storage.

17 hours ago, MB Photography said:

Hi Iain.

Martin

Oh well too late.

I think once LR becomes native it should be fast enough. I don't need the fastest machine just one that is good enough...I would wait for M2 machines net year otherwise

6 hours ago, Iain Masterton said:

I don't use LR CC ...just classic with local image storage.

That one wasn't updated to M1 yet, just the LR which was CC and is now Lightroom, which probably signals something about the direction Adobe would like to take.  

• Like 1

I've installed Lightroom CC and run a quick test by exporting a bunch of  RAW files into jpegs ..normally takes a bit of time using my old Macbook Pro...However LR CC running Apple silicon seems very snappy . 

Might switch to using LR CC...but don't want to keep all my images in the cloud. Will have to learn a new workflow.

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Am I  missing something? That's half the price of a 1TB external drive.

yes that's what it costs to use Lightroom CC cloud based system, ( £17 plus tax). 

Paying for the convenience and the rest of the Adobe apps.

I'll prob switch back to Lightroom Classic when it is upgraded.

11 minutes ago, Iain Masterton said:

yes that's what it costs to use Lightroom CC cloud based system, ( £17 plus tax). 

Paying for the convenience and the rest of the Adobe apps.

I'll prob switch back to Lightroom Classic when it is upgraded.

Ah I thought you were just quoting the price of storage. I'm still using LR5.7.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Ah I thought you were just quoting the price of storage. I'm still using LR5.7.

I did the math on what I'd been paying for upgrades to LR and PS over the previous years (I got a deep discount discount from a friend who was given permission to buy multiple PS copies as a layoff bonus).   I found that I'd spent a tiny bit more on the upgrades than paying by the year, and so set up to do that, but don't use the cloud version.   Base rate covers a range of programs -- I have the Photography or Photographers package which includes the mobile apps (LR and PS for phones and tablets, which I use for phone and tablet photos), and some others besides Lightroom in both flavors, Photoshop, and some others (Premier Rush among others).    That one has 20 GB of storage which works for cell phone and mobile jpgs but which would be too little for use as main storage for raw files if you're an active photographer.  

If all you want is LR Classic and Photoshop and plan to store files locally, the cheapest deal works.  Both the newest PS and LR have some useful upgrades.   The other programs in the plan seem to be web-oriented -- making movies to share, etc. 

For people running older but qualified machines, try turning off graphics card acceleration if you have problems, especially if your graphics card only has 2 GB memory (4 GBs graphic memory on my laptop seems to be fine, but 2 GB graphic memory on my iMac 27 inch 5G Late 2015 is dodgy).   Some of the problems with Big Sur and LR Classic seem to have been partially Big Sur, since I'm not having problems after updating to Big Sur 11.1 unless I turn on using the graphics card under the Performance tab of Preferences, and those don't crash Big Sur.

Edited by MizBrown