Private plane ID

MizBrown

Question

I believe this is a Cessna from the wing profile, and since another shot of it from an even greater distances shows front and back windows, with the rear seat window tapering back,  I've guessed it's the Cessna 172.   Anyone know planes better?  

2CWD4GN.jpg

13 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Sorry Rebecca not a 172, wings are low not high on the fuselage. Will keep looking...

🛩️👍

18624597-orig.jpg

This is another photo of what I thought was the same plane from a different angle.   I was using both of them to figure out what it might be.   Could be two different planes.

The second one looks more like a Cessna 170, as the 172 has tricycle undercarriage. But I could be wrong, and I can't immediately place the first one.

Okay, from the shape of the wing root the first one may be a Piper Cherokee, PA-28-?, but there are a lot of variants to choose from. Again, I can't say that with total certainty.

Edited by DJ Myford
Additional Information

5 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

The second one looks more like a Cessna 170, as the 172 has tricycle undercarriage. But I could be wrong, and I can't immediately place the first one.

Okay, from the shape of the wing root the first one may be a Piper Cherokee, PA-28-?, but there are a lot of variants to choose from. Again, I can't say that with total certainty.

The Piper Cubs didn't have the same wing profile as this one, but I see that the Piper Cherokee does have squared wing end.   Absent a better ID, I'll just make it a "small private plane." 

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

The website for the local airport might have info on comings and goings and what is based there. Might help with confirmation.

I use https://planefinder.net. It has a playback function under the clock icon. The exact local time will be in the image EXIF.

wim

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

The website for the local airport might have info on comings and goings and what is based there. Might help with confirmation.

All the best.

Unfortunately, this was ten years ago and in another country.  I suspect that there was a general aviation airport nearby and that this was people having fun on a clear sky day.    Didn't have a longer lens to get better details.   

Hello MizBrown. You were kind enough to give me encouragement early on in my endeavours with Alamy so repaying that with this which might help. I think your guess that it's a Piper Cherokee is on the right track. There are lot's of versions so the nose shape may well vary influenced by the engine fitted. The shape of the wings and tailplane look close. Been bugging me ever since I saw your first post!

piper-cherokee-140-print-gift-01_2048x20

• Thanks 1

If all else fails you could try asking on PPRuNe  (Professional Pilots Rumour Network).

I once asked for a helicopter ID on there and got the answer from the actual pilot who was flying it at the time.  He asked if he could have a copy of the photo which I was happy to supply and I then got an offer of a free ride in the jump seat if I was ever in Aberdeen (never took up the offer though).

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Hello MizBrown. You were kind enough to give me encouragement early on in my endeavours with Alamy so repaying that with this which might help. I think your guess that it's a Piper Cherokee is on the right track. There are lot's of versions so the nose shape may well vary influenced by the engine fitted. The shape of the wings and tailplane look close. Been bugging me ever since I saw your first post!

piper-cherokee-140-print-gift-01_2048x20

That's convincing. Well done

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Here's a tip if you manage to see/photograph the aircraft registration number usually on the side of the fuselage or the wings you can search

on the internet and it will usually come up with the make model and lots of other details like the owners and build date

I will either get closer to planes or get a longer lens before chasing them again in the future.   Occasionally, we have military helicopters flying overhead, sometimes old Soviet Hinds, but I haven't gotten a shot of those.