BBC article on tracking down copyright infringements

Interesting article 'How photographers track down stolen pictures' published today in the Business section of the BBC website. Nothing new in it to most people here, but always good to see the issue being highlighted in mainstream sources. Apologies to any who are unable to access the BBC website.

• Love 5
  • Like 2

That article reminded me of something that happened to me about 20 years ago. A publisher used one of my photos without my knowledge or permission for a book cover, not just any book, but a very popular book (they did a run of over 1 million copies). When I found out about it I contacted the publisher and they tried every angle they could to not pay me. Every time I called they had me talk to a different, more horrible person. One of them even straight up said that they believed they didn't owe me anything.  It was only when I started to threaten to come at them with the help of a lawyer that they backed down and very grudgingly decided to pay me. I ended up with a really decent payment, probably more than they'd have had to pay if they'd done things properly in the first place! However the whole thing was incredibly upsetting and stressful and I wish I'd had access then to one of these companies that advocates for photographers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gina Kelly said:

That article reminded me of something that happened to me about 20 years ago. A publisher used one of my photos without my knowledge or permission for a book cover, not just any book, but a very popular book (they did a run of over 1 million copies). When I found out about it I contacted the publisher and they tried every angle they could to not pay me. Every time I called they had me talk to a different, more horrible person. One of them even straight up said that they believed they didn't owe me anything.  It was only when I started to threaten to come at them with the help of a lawyer that they backed down and very grudgingly decided to pay me. I ended up with a really decent payment, probably more than they'd have had to pay if they'd done things properly in the first place! However the whole thing was incredibly upsetting and stressful and I wish I'd had access then to one of these companies that advocates for photographers.

Good for you for hanging in there. Most of us women, when we get mad, really mad, we cry. I’m one. It’s rather hard and very embarrassing to try to be firm and coherent when bawling. I hate it.
If you don’t do that, count yourself lucky.

Ticks me off with a 1 million run they tried stealing your image.

Betty

• Love 2

I think that a professor who doesn't teach his students about how to use free-but-give-credit photos is committing malpractice.  The legal system should be biased toward the photographers and others who do creative work.  

• Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you for hanging in there. Most of us women, when we get mad, really mad, we cry. I’m one. It’s rather hard and very embarrassing to try to be firm and coherent when bawling. I hate it.
If you don’t do that, count yourself lucky.

Ticks me off with a 1 million run they tried stealing your image.

Betty

Thanks Betty - I didn't cry but it was really hard! I got through it because I was fiercely determined to not be taken advantage of. I was just astounded though at how they treated me - and it's one of the bigger publishers, you would definitely recognize their name. They knew better.  Also, it tainted what was otherwise a really cool experience of having a photo I was so proud of on the cover of a very popular book.

• Like 1