Panasonic Lumix Bridge DMC FZ200

I have a Panasonic Bridge Mumix DMC FZ200 which seems to take good shots. However as soon as I try to upload a photo to Alamy an error message appears telling me my camera isn't of the required standard for Alamy. Is this really the case?

"Superzoom" cameras with small image sensors will struggle to make the standard required. It's recommended to use a camera with at least a 1" sensor. Even then, only a few 1" sensor models are good enough. Larger sensors, e.g. M4/3 or APS-C format or full frame are preferred by Alamy. Superzoom lenses may also struggle to give give the required sharpness and freedom from aberrations.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, Hilary said:

Thanks Mark for your explanation. I also have a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR. Do you know if this camera meets the requirements for Alamy photos please? 

Hilary

That should be absolutely fine. If you're not already doing so, I would recommend shooting in RAW and converting to JPEG after processing.

Alan

• Love 1

On 28/08/2020 at 20:41, Hilary said:

I have a Panasonic Bridge Mumix DMC FZ200 which seems to take good shots. However as soon as I try to upload a photo to Alamy an error message appears telling me my camera isn't of the required standard for Alamy. Is this really the case?

Just so you know, the 1000D sensor is fifteen times larger than the FZ200. The fixed long zoom is also far inferior to the meanest DSLR lens.

If you submit images from your 1000D, then the next QC surprise could be dust spots. If you've done much changing of lenses on it (or even not), there could be dust specks on the sensor. When you're post-processing your raw images, be sure to check each image at 100%, especially sky areas, for grayish spots, and clone out any that you find. 

In addition to the software mentioned in that thread there is also Photoshop Elements & possibly Affinity Photo, both are one-off payments. The Photoshop/Lightroom CC subscription is what you might call the industry standard and is relatively inexpensive for what you get. However you would need to make sure that you have a computer that is of sufficient spec. to run it. You would be looking at using what they call Lightroom Classic, many on here use it. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/system-requirements.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Edited by Harry Harrison

5 minutes ago, Hilary said:

Thanks. Just out of interest, does alamy ever accept photos that were not taken in RAW, not processed, just good shots? 

Yes. Lots of them. Providing the in camera settings don’t over compress, over-sharpen, or over noise reduce the images then jpgs can be perfectly good enough. But shooting in RAW gives lots more freedom to make improvements in post processing.

Mark

• Love 1

Thanks for that. I am not a beginner photographer but I am a beginner to this world and I don't have many tools. I do however have the opportunity to get good shots sometimes. So we'll see!