Plant/Insect/Animal ID

David McGill

I've noticed that quite a few people have posted photos looking for them to be Identified. I have a free app called Seek by iNaturalist which does just what it "says on the tin". I tried it on some the recent ID requests and it agreed with the answers given by other forum members. Maybe some of you might be willing to give it a try. I have nothing to do with the app, I merely read about it and downloaded it for myself.

• Love 1

On 24/08/2020 at 03:48, David McGill said:

I've noticed that quite a few people have posted photos looking for them to be Identified. I have a free app called Seek by iNaturalist which does just what it "says on the tin". I tried it on some the recent ID requests and it agreed with the answers given by other forum members. Maybe some of you might be willing to give it a try. I have nothing to do with the app, I merely read about it and downloaded it for myself.

This app looks interesting. Just wondering, does it have to be used "in the field", or can you snap images -- or use ones already in your files -- and then upload them to the app later on for identification?

Edited by John Mitchell

6 hours ago, Jerome Wilson said:

I've use the app, including snapping picture of my computer screen.  It is usually pretty good, but I double check it against reliable ID sites.

I've just been doing this, and it did reasonably well. It couldn't ID everything off my screen, but it got some of my unidentified birds.

John - You do not have to be "in the field". It will work if you use photos on your camera roll stored on the phone. If you are in the field you will need to have mobile data on and wifi enabled in order that the app can connect with its servers. It also works by pointing the phone camera at your computer screen as Lori and Jerome have said above. That's how I was able to confirm some of the ID questions posed recently on the forum.

Hope this helps.

David

I've just returned from walking my elderly black lab. Thought I would take a photo of him to seek if the app can ID him. Yes, it can, it says he is a Domestic Dog!

I had hoped to add the image I took to this post but I can't get it to work. Is it only Alamy images that can be added to posts? I can't seem to find an answer to this question - can anyone advise?

1 hour ago, David McGill said:

I've just returned from walking my elderly black lab. Thought I would take a photo of him to seek if the app can ID him. Yes, it can, it says he is a Domestic Dog!

I had hoped to add the image I took to this post but I can't get it to work. Is it only Alamy images that can be added to posts? I can't seem to find an answer to this question - can anyone advise?

I think the image has to be online somewhere first.

John

10 hours ago, David McGill said:

John - You do not have to be "in the field". It will work if you use photos on your camera roll stored on the phone. If you are in the field you will need to have mobile data on and wifi enabled in order that the app can connect with its servers. It also works by pointing the phone camera at your computer screen as Lori and Jerome have said above. That's how I was able to confirm some of the ID questions posed recently on the forum.

Hope this helps.

David

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a new Android phone. Shall give this app a try when it arrives. I would probably not be using it in the field, so it's good to know that the app will work with images stored in the phone. Just wondering, is it smart enough to identify different types of tree bark? I kinda doubt it. That would be asking a lot.

Edited by John Mitchell

14 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I think iNaturalist Seek is a useful ID app for wild plants and animals, but not for garden flowers or pets and other domesticated animals - these are not natural!

Do you recommend any other free apps for ID-ing plants (including garden flowers and shrubs) and animals?

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Do you recommend any other free apps for ID-ing plants (including garden flowers and shrubs) and animals?

I have tried PlantNet, and it seemed to work reasonably well on the few garden plants I've tried to ID. However, I imagine all such apps are of limited use when it comes to identifying specific cultivars, varieties, etc. You mentioned tree bark above - I use the Woodland Trust app for that (it's called British Trees), but I don't know if there's a similar tree ID App across the Atlantic. I have used the iNaturalist app for insects, etc, though I also tend to post them to Facebook groups to get confirmation from experts. I also have lots of wildlife field guides (books) as well, so I can find quite a few in those. Some insects can't be identified to species level from a photo, and require a microscope!

4 hours ago, VbFolly said:

I have tried PlantNet, and it seemed to work reasonably well on the few garden plants I've tried to ID. However, I imagine all such apps are of limited use when it comes to identifying specific cultivars, varieties, etc. You mentioned tree bark above - I use the Woodland Trust app for that (it's called British Trees), but I don't know if there's a similar tree ID App across the Atlantic. I have used the iNaturalist app for insects, etc, though I also tend to post them to Facebook groups to get confirmation from experts. I also have lots of wildlife field guides (books) as well, so I can find quite a few in those. Some insects can't be identified to species level from a photo, and require a microscope!

Thanks for the hints. I'm new to the world of apps, so I'll have to do some exploring of what's available out there. I too have a number of local British Columbia field guides, which come in handy.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 26/08/2020 at 00:50, Thyrsis said:

I have used Seek quite successfully with several plants. Except when I wanted to identify a rose variety and it helpfully told me it was ‘a rose’!!

It couldn't ID convict cichlids, though one of its tries was cichlids.  Good on some common house pants.   Not so good on some Nicaraguan orchids that weren't in flower.   Did ID cats as cats.