New portfolio: feedback and criticism welcome!

QFSW

If you want to sell pictures of flowers/vegetables you do need to do a bit more research

2C8JBJA  Red flowers hanging from a branch

This is a fuchsia but that will not help a great deal you really need the species and if applicable the cultivar,  Applies to most of your flower pictures.

2C8JBWY Fresh green runner beans growing from the stalk

Do not look like runner beans to me, not 100% certain but these look like radish pods.

I would also avoid offering the same pictures on Alamy and a microstock site.

4 hours ago, Chris Burrows said:

If you want to sell pictures of flowers/vegetables you do need to do a bit more research

2C8JBJA  Red flowers hanging from a branch

This is a fuchsia but that will not help a great deal you really need the species and if applicable the cultivar,  Applies to most of your flower pictures.

2C8JBWY Fresh green runner beans growing from the stalk

Do not look like runner beans to me, not 100% certain but these look like radish pods.

I would also avoid offering the same pictures on Alamy and a microstock site.

I think everything you've said about research more is definitely good advice; focus more on making the tagging more quality and accurate

As for the last point, is that to not undercut the Alamy content? If i had to choose between one of them, I would go microstock over alamy probably as I am much less confident I will make a sale here, in which case would there be any harm in having it on both?

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, QFSW said:

I think everything you've said about research more is definitely good advice; focus more on making the tagging more quality and accurate

As for the last point, is that to not undercut the Alamy content? If i had to choose between one of them, I would go microstock over alamy probably as I am much less confident I will make a sale here, in which case would there be any harm in having it on both?

There's people and good arguments on both sides. The prices on Alamy can be significantly higher, but you do make less sales. In terms of potentially undercutting yourself, well, if you do spread yourself over various agencies, you're relying on clients not to shop around. On the internet....

This is true if you're talking about maximizing revenue for a given sale, but I also feel like that doesn't matter if no one sees your work at all? Just like it's a numbers game with how much you upload, isn't that also true for uploading in different places?

17 minutes ago, QFSW said:

This is true if you're talking about maximizing revenue for a given sale, but I also feel like that doesn't matter if no one sees your work at all? Just like it's a numbers game with how much you upload, isn't that also true for uploading in different places?

Yup, arguments on both sides 🙃

btw, I think Alamy has one or two clients.....

Edited by Steve F

On 07/08/2020 at 09:21, Steve F said:

Yup, arguments on both sides 🙃

btw, I think Alamy has one or two clients.....

There's also distribution, which unless I'm wrong basically means your Alamy photos can get sold through other stock agencies anyway?

One of my sales through Alamy appears in the news article it was used in credited to another stock agency, which I absolutely do not use. I am opted in to distribution. That must be it?

35 minutes ago, Cal said:

There's also distribution, which unless I'm wrong basically means your Alamy photos can get sold through other stock agencies anyway?

One of my sales through Alamy appears in the news article it was used in credited to another stock agency, which I absolutely do not use. I am opted in to distribution. That must be it?

You should check your account and the ‘additional revenue options’ You are probably signed up to distribution, novel use, UK newspaper scheme......

9 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

You should check your account and the ‘additional revenue options’ You are probably signed up to distribution, novel use, UK newspaper scheme......

That is indeed what I said.

Just now, QFSW said:

Do you recommend having this on or off? Any downsides?

Personally yes I do, but I admit having not done an overly exhaustive amount of research. What I do know is that having the distribution option on has led to me having at least one sale I wouldn't have had before. Some complain that sales from novel use (for example) are of ridiculously low value, which I can't personally attest to.