Potato disease identification

Bryan

Question

One of my potato plants looked a tad distressed so I dug it up fearing blight. Surprisingly only one tuber appeared to be affected, the subject of the photo. Do any of you gardening gurus know what the problem is? I suspect blight but it has been suggested that it might be potato gangrene. The remainder of the crop turned out to be clean and the variety is Charlotte.

A potato tuber, variety Charlotte,  showing damage due to fungal disease, possibly blight Stock Photo

7 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

One of my potato plants looked a tad distressed so I dug it up fearing blight. Surprisingly only one tuber appeared to be affected, the subject of the photo. Do any of you gardening gurus know what the problem is? I suspect blight but it has been suggested that it might be potato gangrene. The remainder of the crop turned out to be clean and the variety is Charlotte.

A potato tuber, variety Charlotte,  showing damage due to fungal disease, possibly blight Stock Photo

This potato disease poster might help, Bryan.  I don't think it's blight from what I remember from my allotment days.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Looking at the chart John Richmond linked to, I would look for more examples of potato bacterial soft rot. 

It's still not clear to me what the problem is. It looks a bit like gangrene in some photos I've seen but apparently that normally  occurs some time after the crop has been lifted while this was present while the tuber was in the earth.