iMac & External Hard Drives - I think I have a problem

My daily set up is as follows.  I am experiencing something which never happened before.

• iMac (late 2012), 16GB Memory, 2.9 GHZ Intel Core i5, NVIDIA GeForce, 1TB (free space 870GB): this computer only holds apps, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, Apple's own apps, etc)
  • My working drive: 5 year old G-TECH G-DRIVE 2TB Portal Hard Drive USB (all my created docs and 2015~ today images are stored here including Lightroom catalogue) (free space 567GB)
  • Seagate 1TB external hard drive USB for Time Machine backup.

I copy my G-Tech drive by using SuperDuper on 2 separate external drives at the end of each day.

This morning when I woke up my iMac, I was greeted by the following screenshot.  All the above mentioned external hard drive remained attached to iMac overnight.  Also the G-Tech drive was making grinding noise for about 20 mins before it settled down.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-12-at-09-39-21.png

It never happened before.  What do you think may cause this problem?  Is it likely, my iMac or external drives, that became problematic?  Is it likely hardware or software problem?

Your advice/experience will be very much appreciated.

Sung

PS

2 hours ago, SFL said:

G-Tech drive was making grinding noise

I don't think grinding noises in external drives are usually good news. Make sure you have a backup of all your drives before you go any further. Its probably the external drive, but what I know about computers is barely enough to fill a postcard so best to wait until some of our big brains weigh in with their opinions.

+1. Grinding is for coffee machines.

I only hear my external drives if I hold them to my ear, and even then it's a gentle whizz. 20 years ago they used to sound like a box of crickets, but I haven't heard one for years.

I had a similar experience but without the grinding noise. The hard drive image kept disappearing from the screen and the drive ejected would come up.

After some investigation it turned out to be a faulty connection lead. Had been working for a few years then just gave up the ghost. Replaced lead and no further problems.

Just threw that in as if something similar happens to anyone else you can go straight to the fault.

Allan

I do think it might be a connection issue. I have had a notice like that come up when I was working and had not ejected a drive. Checking the connection has worked.

Paulette

The grinding noise suggests imminent drive failure. I would buy a new larger capacity drive immediately and make sure your backups from the last successful backup are safe. G-Technology drives are the best in my opinion. I have never had one fail but this one sounds bad. Jigsaw24 is great for G-Technology drives. Excellent service and competitive prices. They are working at the moment through the pandemic with next day courier delivery. 

For example

Edited by MDM

Thank you @Colin Woods, @spacecadet for your reply.

@Allan Bell & @NYCat.  Good idea, I will try with different cables and will see what happens. Thanks.

@MDM  I got my current G-Tec drive from Jigsaw24 based on your advice and recommendation, eh now nearly 5 years ago.  Time does fly, doesn't it?  This morning I had a look at that particular drive shortly after I started this thread, just in case it turns out to be G-Tec drive's failure.  I have two exact copies of G-Tec Drive on 2 separate portable external drives.  Thank you for your reply. 

Sung

Edited by SFL
added a sentence in blue

15 minutes ago, SFL said:

@MDM  I got my current G-Tec drive from Jigsaw24 based on your advice and recommendation, eh now nearly 5 years ago.  Time does fly, doesn't it?  This morning I had a look at that particular drive shortly after I started this thread, just in case it turns out to be G-Tec drive's failure.  I have two exact copies of G-Tec Drive on 2 separate portable external drives.  Thank you for your reply. 

Sung

Don't mention it Sung. And yes time is zooming past. It doesn't seem like five years ago that we discussed that and I wasn't sure that I had recommended it. I do stand by the recommendatiion though and have continued to buy these drives for the large amounts of data I produce with no failures to date. My oldest G-Tec drive is getting on 6 years with a lot of use and no sign of any problems but disks can fail without much warning. In your case the warning is clear. Faulty cables will not cause a grinding noise. It could of course be the fan but the fact that it is not backing up as well as making noises would indicate deeper problems to me. In any case I would not take any chances and £186 is good value for a drive of this size and quality.