Lightroom Problem

Hi All, 

I run a standalone copy of Lightroom V5.7. I loaded images on Saturday and Sunday from a memory card. They loaded OK, created folders on the left hand pane showing date and number of images. However I cannot open the folders from this location now. If I click on them nothing happens. All the other folders prior to this are fine and open on a mouse click. The only way I can access the last two batches is by going in via all photos at the top of the left hand pane ( and then finding them by date) which is a bit of a faff.  I've tried restarting LR to see if it would correct itself but no luck. Any ideas ?

Sorry can't help with your problem but when I opened Lightroom this morning and tried to export an image with the pre-set export set up i've created that wouldn't work either. That's through CC. I don't know if they've changed the settings on an upgrade some how. All that doesn't help you as yours is standalone!

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidhu said:

Hi All, 

I run a standalone copy of Lightroom V5.7. I loaded images on Saturday and Sunday from a memory card. They loaded OK, created folders on the left hand pane showing date and number of images. However I cannot open the folders from this location now. If I click on them nothing happens. All the other folders prior to this are fine and open on a mouse click. The only way I can access the last two batches is by going in via all photos at the top of the left hand pane ( and then finding them by date) which is a bit of a faff.  I've tried restarting LR to see if it would correct itself but no luck. Any ideas ?

One thought occurs. The last lot of images uploaded to LR weren't from a new camera were they?

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidhu said:

Hi All, 

Wondering if once you've found them are you able to edit them? Is the actual physical location on your hard drive the same as your other images, i.e. within the same parent folder?

You could I suppose 'Remove' them from Lightroom (not delete from disc!) and then try adding them again from their current location. It's all guesswork I'm afraid, never happened to me and I let Lightroom create the 'Date shot' folders automatically anyway.

• Like 1

This is a wild guess but have you tried right-clicking on the name of the folder? Maybe you will find an option to connect the folder to the images.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

This is a wild guess but have you tried right-clicking on the name of the folder? Maybe you will find an option to connect the folder to the images.

Paulette

That's right, either 'synchronise folder' or 'import to this folder, or 'update folder location'?

John.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stokie said:

Sorry can't help with your problem but when I opened Lightroom this morning and tried to export an image with the pre-set export set up i've created that wouldn't work either. That's through CC. I don't know if they've changed the settings on an upgrade some how. All that doesn't help you as yours is standalone!

John.

Thanks, John. Perhaps it's LR's way of telling me I should be updating to the monthly subscription model.

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

One thought occurs. The last lot of images uploaded to LR weren't from a new camera were they?

Allan

Thanks for the suggestion Allan, but no it's my trusty old Sony A6000 rather than anything new.

Paulette, Harry and John,

Thanks for the helpful comments. Perhaps I should clarify that the images are saved in the folders, it's just that I can't seem to open the folders. Right clicking does give me a number of options but opening the folder doesn't seem to be one of them. I did remove the two folders and then reload LR from the hard drive rather than the memory card but it made no difference - just created two folders which I was unable to open. I can edit from the all photographs route so I'll do that for the time being.

Dave

2 hours ago, davidhu said:

Right clicking does give me a number of options but opening the folder doesn't seem to be one of them

I was thinking of 'Show in Finder' on a Mac ('Show in Explorer' on Windows) and 'Go to Folder in Library' just to see if Lightroom dealt with the folders correctly then, in case it revealed some kind of clue as to what is happening. Regarding the location on the hard drive, I wondered if it might be a permissions problem but if they are in the normal place then that is unlikely, it was unlikely anyway in fact as Lightroom was able to create the folders and put the images in there, but there's something 'unlikely' going on.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I was thinking of 'Show in Finder' on a Mac ('Show in Explorer' on Windows) and 'Go to Folder in Library' just to see if Lightroom dealt with the folders correctly then, in case it revealed some kind of clue as to what is happening. Regarding the location on the hard drive, I wondered if it might be a permissions problem but if they are in the normal place then that is unlikely, it was unlikely anyway in fact as Lightroom was able to create the folders and put the images in there, but there's something 'unlikely' going on.

Thanks Harry. I've checked as you suggest and everything is in the right place so at least we've narrowed it down to a folder issue. Just one of those irritating buggy things that might resolve itself (or maybe not). As LR no longer support it, I might have to accept defeat and upgrade to the monthly subscription package. Is that what you use ?

Dave

30 minutes ago, davidhu said:

Thanks Harry. I've checked as you suggest and everything is in the right place so at least we've narrowed it down to a folder issue. Just one of those irritating buggy things that might resolve itself (or maybe not). As LR no longer support it, I might have to accept defeat and upgrade to the monthly subscription package. Is that what you use ?

Dave

I have never had anything like this with 5.7 (which I will be sticking with), so it's probably something at your end, not LR's. Certainly not a reason to be ransomed!

Edited by spacecadet

17 hours ago, davidhu said:

Right clicking does give me a number of options but opening the folder doesn't seem to be one of them.

I don't have that option as such either.

Do you have a little question mark by the folder name?

1 hour ago, davidhu said:

As LR no longer support it, I might have to accept defeat and upgrade to the monthly subscription package. Is that what you use ?

I'm using Lightroom 6.14, the last 'Perpetual' option so it looks like perhaps 5.7 doesn't have the right-click options that I mention. I think you'll get to the bottom of it and, like Spacecadet, I don't see it as enough of a reason to upgrade to the ransomware version. Easy for me to say that as maybe 6.14 is better than 5.7 to a degree and clearly supports some more up to date cameras. If you use Lightroom for the image processing rather than the cataloguing (some do) then Luminar, DxO Photolab or Affinity Photo might be worth a look.

The 'whether to upgrade to CC' has been covered a lot here and if I absolutely had to then I would but only for Lightroom if it didn't support some camera I was desperate to buy, not fussed about Photoshop. I should point out that from what I'm told the CC versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop have many excellent features and that the subscription price is very good value in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I don't have that option as such either.

Do you have a little question mark by the folder name?

No question mark showing. Folder looks normal showing date and number of images, just unable to open it.

8 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm using Lightroom 6.14, the last 'Perpetual' option so it looks like perhaps 5.7 doesn't have the right-click options that I mention. I think you'll get to the bottom of it and, like Spacecadet, I don't see it as enough of a reason to upgrade to the ransomware version. Easy for me to say that as maybe 6.14 is better than 5.7 to a degree and clearly supports some more up to date cameras. If you use Lightroom for the image processing rather than the cataloguing (some do) then Luminar, DxO Photolab or Affinity Photo might be worth a look.

The 'whether to upgrade to CC' has been covered a lot here and if I absolutely had to then I would but only for Lightroom if it didn't support some camera I was desperate to buy, not fussed about Photoshop. I should point out that from what I'm told the CC versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop have many excellent features and that the subscription price is very good value in the scheme of things.

Thanks for the extra info.

On 21/04/2020 at 11:28, Harry Harrison said:

You only need 1 PU sale per month to pay for it......

John.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

You only need 1 PU sale per month to pay for it......

John.

Even though I re-opened my port to PU sales a few months ago I am not getting any of them either.

Allan

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Even though I re-opened my port to PU sales a few months ago I am not getting any of them either.

Allan

Your turn will come!

John.

On 21/04/2020 at 19:57, sooth said:

Hi Robert, I followed the procedure outlined in the first link and deleted the preferences which seems to have corrected the fault. Many thanks for the suggestion, I owe you a virtual beer!

Many thanks to everyone for chipping in your ideas as well, it's much appreciated.

Dave 

• Like 1