Lonely Planet magazines suspension

Guide book publishing giant Lonely Planet is among those affected by the sudden halt to global travel. 

The publisher has announced plans to close most of its operations in London and Melbourne.

The company said it would reduce its operations for the foreseeable future and would suspend publishing the Lonely Planet magazine.

• Love 1

Goodness, all those 'on a shoestring' guides on my bookshelf are starting to take on an historical air!  Presumably, Rough Guides (and all the others: Fodors, et al) are in the same boat?

Getting me nostalgic now: my first licence was to Rough Guides (India '91).  I remember sending them in a sheet of my best slides and fretting for months while they held on to them in case they got lost!

• Love 1

This doesn't surprise me. I had a photo published in one of their books, the UK Travelist, last August. The sale wasn't reported, so I complained to Alamy after 3 months. It then came up as a sale in November, the price was changed slightly a couple of weeks later, and it still hasn't cleared. I had already more or less given up on getting paid, and that seems even more likely now.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

these guys led the way in paying rubbish fees to photographers

And they paid peanuts to their authors as well. My other half worked for 10 years for Lonely Planet. 

• Love 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

these guys led the way in paying rubbish fees to photographers

3 hours ago, VbFolly said:

This doesn't surprise me. I had a photo published in one of their books, the UK Travelist, last August. The sale wasn't reported, so I complained to Alamy after 3 months. It then came up as a sale in November, the price was changed slightly a couple of weeks later, and it still hasn't cleared. I had already more or less given up on getting paid, and that seems even more likely now.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

And they paid peanuts to their authors as well. My other half worked for 10 years for Lonely Planet. 

Sad to learn.  Not getting any better, though....

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Guide book publishing giant Lonely Planet is among those affected by the sudden halt to global travel. 

The publisher has announced plans to close most of its operations in London and Melbourne.

The company said it would reduce its operations for the foreseeable future and would suspend publishing the Lonely Planet magazine.

Source?

• Dislike 1