QC since 3 April 2020

Tony ALS

Question

Hello all. As a newbie to Alamy I have been reading forum content to get a feel of what to expect and there are some very helpful contributors. I haven't uploaded much yet and I'm holding back at the moment as I have 26 images sitting in QC with the first one going back to the 3 April. I know there has been a weekend in between and we have the virus issue which may be interfering so delays are perhaps understandable. My first 38 uploads were all passed and I have a two star rating since I started. I have seen that 5 stars would speed things up yet there only appear to be a maximum of 3 stars available on my dashboard? Any feedback on whether this delay is normal at the moment would be helpful and should I wait until QC catch up before uploading more? Hope everyone is obeying the rules and keeping safe. Thanks in advance. Tony

On 03/06/2020 at 06:35, Tony ALS said:

16 uploaded now passed QC already. Another 35 waiting in QC now. Perhaps the waiting times are coming down. How quickly do sales appear typically? I saw my first sale within a month on shutterstock and there has been a steady (now badly paid) stream of sales since then.

I rarely have sales within a year of uploading. Less that 2%, typically, and never more than 12% in any year.

• Love 1

Thanks spacecadet. From the outset I viewed stock as a long term small side income so not worried if it takes time to see any sales. Pleasantly surprised to have seen sales of some old photos of mine on other sites. 

On 03/06/2020 at 01:35, Tony ALS said:

16 uploaded now passed QC already. Another 35 waiting in QC now. Perhaps the waiting times are coming down. How quickly do sales appear typically? I saw my first sale within a month on shutterstock and there has been a steady (now badly paid) stream of sales since then.

why would someone pay you Alamy fees, if you are selling them for effectively peanuts elsewhere?

i had my first licence here after a month, but not reported for another 6 weeks.  It took a few months to start seeing a flow of a couple licence per month  (and than the world went it's own way)

Added:  some nice imagerie in your portfolio

Edited by meanderingemu

Thanks for looking at my portfolio and your feedback meanderingemu. When I first looked into stock I wasn't aware that Alamy was different and finding accurate information about each website and the way payments vary proved difficult. I am learning and the forums are a great source of information that I would advise anyone else to read before taking the plunge and starting the process of uploading anywhere. I agree that it may not be the best way to continue to have the low paying microstock companies advertising images for next to nothing and given what Shutterstock just did I see my portfolio being available on there as short lived. It does appear that many contributors here also make images available on most of the main stock websites though so perhaps this is selective, only uploading the best work to websites like Alamy and then images which are perceived as of less valuable or less saleable perhaps going to other sites?

18 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Great insight Betty, I appreciate the advice. I am a bit overawed by some of the content I have seen which does sometimes look heavily manipulated but perhaps that's what it takes to get noticed. I'll keep uploading and see how it goes although exclusivity is a tricky one for me to know what's best at the moment. Thanks and stay away from trouble in the USA.

Oh, I’m not planning to be anywhere near trouble.  Mostly peaceful demonstrations here, and I live well away from them.

When I mentioned exclusivity, I mean this. Shoot one thing for the micros, shoot something else for Alamy. Don’t divide images from the same shoot, same subject to both sides. Alamy doesn’t want us to do that.
Although if you have totally different subjects you’ve shot during the day, it’s fine to upload images of one particular subject to one agency while uploading a different subject elsewhere. This stands true if you upload exclusive images to Alamy. Don’t upload 5 exclusive images of a bullfight to Alamy and upload 5 different images of the same bullfight from the same shoot elsewhere.
I’m being overly teaching here, but sometimes when one is reading or giving advice, nuances can slip through the cracks and be misinterpreted.

If you don’t desire to have exclusive images here, then dump everything I said in the rubbish bin! 😊 Or jot down a few notes in case you change your mind later. But you must remember where you put the notes. I’m always losing mine. Notes jotted on the edges of my newspaper tend to get tossed!

Betty, you're not being overly teaching, you are being extremely helpful which I appreciate. I'll have to think about the way forward as it's obviously better to make a decision now and stick to it rather than let the numbers build to a point where it becomes more difficult to change in future.

I can understand being able to stay away from trouble in Kansas. It took me two days to drive across Kansas west to east on a mega tour of the US a long time ago now. Very empty and only rivalled by what I remember of the Ukraine even longer ago.

Have a productive day! 

On 22/05/2020 at 15:03, Cookie 63 said:

Hi all any tips, my images have been waiting since April 3rd . have uploaded 8 more batches but all in QC 

Have you passed or failed QC yet?

Allan

17 hours ago, Cookie 63 said:

Still nothing, although I’ve sold an image in this same time frame so account must be active , 

I had a QC hangup for a few weeks. Sent email to CS and waited some more with no reply due to covid operating restrictions on Alamy staffing. In desperation I emailed James Allsworth directly. James was kind enough to take the time and got someone to look into the problem. My images passed QC the same day. Thanks go out to James.

Allan

Thank you Allan I will try that , a very helpful constructive answer 👍I will let you know , looking for his contact details could I ask you to direct me to them please 

Edited by Cookie 63

On 05/06/2020 at 09:57, Cookie 63 said:

Thank you Allan I will try that , a very helpful constructive answer 👍I will let you know , looking for his contact details could I ask you to direct me to them please 

Try his name at alamy.com

Allan

Please note all reading this thread that I only sent the email direct to James after an unusually long wait, even longer than the existing extended waiting times. Please do not bother him if your wait is four to five weeks as that is normal for some now.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1