Hi, Noticed the caption below on an image uploaded to Live News yesterday, I wonder how many contributors would have included Alamy photographer in the caption and if they would why, what value does it bring to the image?

Thanks in anticipation, for your thoughts.

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 31 March, 2020. Despite Coronavirus lockdown members of the public are outside exercising and relaxing on Portobello promenade in Edinburgh. Pictured; Alamy photographer takes photo on Portobello beach. Iain Masterton/Alamy Live News

- Image ID: 2BBGGJC

If it adds to the news info i don't see an issue.  Considering UK just had a clarification to Police that Professional News Photographers are essential service, i do think this has additional News value (i probably would have added that info later that evening in the caption).

to be honest the info is much more news credible than many of the caption from some of the recent surge of international agencies, 

Edited by meanderingemu

10 hours ago, helsbells20 said:

Hi, Noticed the caption below on an image uploaded to Live News yesterday, I wonder how many contributors would have included Alamy photographer in the caption and if they would why, what value does it bring to the image?

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 31 March, 2020. Despite Coronavirus lockdown members of the public are outside exercising and relaxing on Portobello promenade in Edinburgh. Pictured; Alamy photographer takes photo on Portobello beach. Iain Masterton/Alamy Live News

Misread

Edited by Sally

Iain does frequent these forums.. maybe he'll spot this post and let you know his thinking! 🙂

Thanks to meanderingemu and Matt Ashmore for replying to this thread. I have tried holding my breath Matt but it appears that Mr Masterton is too busy zooming up and down the M8 to reply. Disappointed I never even got a thumbs up or is it the finger.

meanderingemu wrote, "Considering UK just had a clarification to Police that Professional News Photographers are essential service". The caption in question does not state that

the Photographer in the photo was a Live News Photographer, so could the caption lead the viewer to the conclusion that the guy is out without good reason "Despite Coronavirus lockdown"

3 minutes ago, Iain Masterton said:

Hi 

it was done for a bit of humour. I was out shooting in Portobello and spotted Arch White out on his daily photo shoots ( very profitable too) so I thought I’d give him a shout 😬

🤣....  You didn't give OP his "I never even got a thumbs up or is it the finger."    

so i'll do it for you 👍✌️👉🦔

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helsbells20 said:

so could the caption lead the viewer to the conclusion that the guy is out without good reason "Despite Coronavirus lockdown"

If photography is his work, he has a good reason. Read the statutory instrument. It's not up to the police to decide.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, helsbells20 said:

so could the caption lead the viewer to the conclusion that the guy is out without good reason "Despite Coronavirus lockdown"

the viewer?  wouldn't Live News viewers, ie News people be aware of why a News Photographer was there?

meanderingemu wrote, "Considering UK just had a clarification to Police that Professional News Photographers are essential service". The caption in question does not state that

the Photographer in the photo was a Live News Photographer, so could the caption lead the viewer to the conclusion that the guy is out without good reason "Despite Coronavirus lockdown"

Look, to clarify: the photographer who took the picture has a press card and can travel to take news photos. The person photographed lives locally and was out on his permitted walk. End of story. 

Edited by Sally
  • Love 1

Curtain twitchers! 

My wife got challenged  by an overzealous neighbour when she was out walking with our two sons - that being three together was against the 'rules' and the police would want to know if they drove through the village..

Seriously, it really does illustrate how quickly a society can be changed and how willing some are to be the 'enforcers'.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sally said:

the photographer who took the picture has a press card

Quite funny really- the police spend years saying that the press card has no special validity, in order to justify harrassment, and all of a sudden it does!

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Sally said:

Look, to clarify: the photographer who took the picture has a press card and can travel to take photography. The person photographed lives locally and was out on his permitted walk. End of story. 

would be end of story with more  obvious quoting, and not highlighting ME  this makes it looks like i contended something was wrong,  which i did not in any way. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

would be end of story with more  obvious quoting, and not highlighting ME  this makes it looks like i contended something was wrong,  which i did not in any way. 

Of course you didn’t. I just happened upon the last quote, Sorry.

• Love 1