Architecture?

Ed Rooney

Question

There are so many different periods and styles here in Liverpool. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good site with pictures that would help me ID some of the buildings I've been capturing? 

On 05/03/2020 at 23:00, Ed Rooney said:

There are so many different periods and styles here in Liverpool. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good site with pictures that would help me ID some of the buildings I've been capturing? 

Do these help?

https://signaturesliverpool.co.uk/blog/oldest-buildings-liverpool/

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/articles/the-most-impressive-buildings-in-liverpool-uk/

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s a pet peeve of mine, too. Just like our beautiful old wooden barns being allowed to collapse and putting up those horrendous metal replacements. 

There are plenty of boxy, glass and steel uglies popping up in Vancouver. However, there is also a lot of innovation going on. For instance, Vancouver already has the tallest wooden building (18 floors) in the world and an even taller one is being proposed.

9 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

There are plenty of boxy, glass and steel uglies popping up in Vancouver. However, there is also a lot of innovation going on. For instance, Vancouver already has the tallest wooden building (18 floors) in the world and an even taller one is being proposed.

Well & good, I suppose, but I’m thinking in spite of a fire-proof concrete core, a building that tall out of wood still seems like a fire trap. I’m thinking of people trapped in their personal space. I do love wood, but...not sure I’d live there unless I was on the bottom two floors! 😁

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well & good, I suppose, but I’m thinking in spite of a fire-proof concrete core, a building that tall out of wood still seems like a fire trap. I’m thinking of people trapped in their personal space. I do love wood, but...not sure I’d live there unless I was on the bottom two floors! 😁

Going at a tangent but still related to buildings.

That is a the trouble with a lot of the forest fires. Forest fires are natural events. Some tree species need fire to regenerate and regrow,

They become hazards when people have chosen to live where they are at risk from fires. And living in the forest what could make more sense to fit ion with the environment than living in a wooden house?

Oops.... 

Edited by geogphotos

59 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Same thought crossed my mind, but apparently these new wooden buildings are more fireproof and safer than conventional steel ones according to the builders. It has something (?) to do with how the wood is engineered these days. They must eat up lot of trees, though.

Personally, I prefer human-scale, low-rise buildings to skyscrapers. I wouldn't want to live in a high-rise for a lot of reasons, one of them being the possibility of being trapped in a firey inferno, but a lot of younger people seem to enjoy hanging out in the sky. I like being closer to Mother Earth myself. 😼

Edited by John Mitchell

24 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Same thought crossed my mind, but apparently these new wooden buildings are more fireproof and safer than conventional steel ones according to the builders. It has something (?) to do with how the wood is engineered these days. They must eat up lot of trees, though.

Personally, I prefer human-scale, low-rise buildings to skyscrapers. I wouldn't want to live in a high-rise for a lot of reasons, one of them being the possibility of being trapped in a firey inferno, but a lot of younger people seem to enjoy hanging out in the sky. I like being closer to Mother Earth myself. 😼

Anyone who watched the movie, “The Towering Inferno” was marked for life. :D

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It was the bottom two floors that were consumed by the fire in my building on Mulberry Street. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It was the bottom two floors that were consumed by the fire in my building on Mulberry Street. 

But everyone got out, didn’t they? On all floors?
It’s the skyscrapers I don’t want to be in. Look what happened with the World Trade Center. Many on the lower floors got out, those higher than where the plane hit were in graver situations. Take away the plane, add a fire from another source on the same floor, and the results could have been similar. Depending on the source and how quickly it spread. Fires tend to go up quicker than down. The flames lick up. Down seems to burn through.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Anyone who watched the movie, “The Towering Inferno” was marked for life. :D

I did see that one... 🥵

A growing trend in Vancouver is plopping new buildings right on top of old ones. At least that way they don't get torn down. Here is what is happening to our historic downtown post office that will eventually house a new Amazon HQ:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-post-amazon-hq2?auto=true

With so much building going on here -- and not much travel in the cards -- I see myself spending a lot more time on architectural photography. In anticipation of this, I recently bought a 12mm Samyang MF lens for my Sony a6000. Very pleased with it so far.

Edited by John Mitchell

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I did see that one... 🥵

A growing trend in Vancouver is plopping new buildings right on top of old ones. At least that way they don't get torn down. Here is what is happening to our historic downtown post office that will eventually house a new Amazon HQ:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-post-amazon-hq2?auto=true

With so much building going on here -- and not much travel in the cards -- I see myself spending a lot more time on architectural photography. In anticipation of this, I recently bought a 12mm Samyang MF lens for my Sony a6000. Very pleased with it so far.

That’s really cool!

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s really cool!

It is cool. However, I'm not always crazy about the results. I find that it often destroys the integrity of the original buildings. Also, fusing old and new styles sometimes creates the proverbial cat's breakfast. However, as mentioned, it's better than ripping down cherished landmarks. The best way to preserve old architecture is to have an economic depression. Hmmm... we seem to be heading in that direction. 😐

On 10/03/2020 at 19:45, Ed Rooney said:

the-three-graces-buildings-royal-liver-b

That dome that looks like St. Paul's in London, Mark, (and it really does) is on top of the Port of Liverpool Building, one of the Three Graces.  

I'm glad I asked this question because I've been seriously neglecting this important stock subject. What I've found visually exciting in this city is the dramatic mix of so many styles of architecture. Seville is a whole other thing with the entire city done in the same beautiful Spanish style with just one or two exceptions. 

That was Wrens practice dome before building the big yin in da big city.

Allan

28 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

That was Wrens practice dome before building the big yin in da big city.

Allan

You see now I have come from my Transform Trouble thread I can see leaning verticals in the that building especially at the far end. 

I am seeing them everywhere I look! 

Nothing personal Edo 😀

48 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You see now I have come from my Transform Trouble thread I can see leaning verticals in the that building especially at the far end. 

I am seeing them everywhere I look! 

Nothing personal Edo 😀

Yes but they are leaning the opposite way to what yours were before you straightened them. At least that is how they look to my eyes.

Allan

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That was taken with a 15mm lens. And people are used to seeing distortion in pictures. 

Sorry Edo I was not "having a go" at you or your imagery.

Just making an observation.

Allan

You can have a go, Allan. There are different ways of assessing things. When I use a veri-wide, I do it to add drama. The Three Graces are a landmark tourist attraction here. With some other buildings, I'm more interested in the architecture. And I'm not thin-skinned. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You can have a go, Allan.

Not with anyone who is wiser than I am in the subject under discussion.

Allan