Alamy payment to german bank - Brexit fee applied

-- my original post got deleted without notification, probably too many trolls hijacking the topic. Strange anyway - freedom of speech ...?

Hi,

I received a payout on February 6th, and, same day, a fee of 19,95 Eur was charged by my german bank. My suspicion was true - Brexit fee, as GB is no longer in the EU my bank  charges this amount for any transaction outside EU/in foreign currency.

In detail: my bank told me the transfer method of Alamy was changed from SEPA, the free transfer method inside EU, to SWIFT.

Alamy contributor service told me they didnt change anything and I'm the only contributor who reported this issue.

Well, I asked contributor service to check if the bank modified the transfer method.

Question: anybody else in the European community , ex-UK, who was charged with an additional/new fee for the Alamy payout ?

Comments welcome - subject related only, please. Discuss your opinion on Brexit elsewhere .... and for question regarding SEPA and SWIFT .... google is your friend.

According to this

https://ctmfile.com/story/what-happens-to-uk-sepa-payments-after-brexit

there's uncertainty about whether the UK will remain in SEPA after the transition period. The matter may not even be discussed.  Based on the scenarios in that article, from what the UK government has said (that it will not accept CJEU jurisdiction over anything at all) it looks like (3) "no legal alignment" will apply. Your bank is evidently pre-empting this, as presumably it is entitled to do as the UK has in law left the EU. I'm guessing that it's happening now because this aspect isn't covered by the withdrawal agreement.

You have fallen between the cracks, as we would say. There are a lot them.

Edited by spacecadet

I received the payment on Consorsbank. And they state they didnt receive a SEPA transfer, which, according to my info, should be possible in 2020 transition period.

The combination of less sales, higher Alamy comission on non-exclusive and fees like this are not really motivating.

On 01/03/2020 at 11:01, Andreas said:

-- my original post got deleted without notification, probably too many trolls hijacking the topic. Strange anyway - freedom of speech ...?

Hi,

I received a payout on February 6th, and, same day, a fee of 19,95 Eur was charged by my german bank. My suspicion was true - Brexit fee, as GB is no longer in the EU my bank  charges this amount for any transaction outside EU/in foreign currency.

In detail: my bank told me the transfer method of Alamy was changed from SEPA, the free transfer method inside EU, to SWIFT.

Alamy contributor service told me they didnt change anything and I'm the only contributor who reported this issue.

Well, I asked contributor service to check if the bank modified the transfer method.

Question: anybody else in the European community , ex-UK, who was charged with an additional/new fee for the Alamy payout ?

Comments welcome - subject related only, please. Discuss your opinion on Brexit elsewhere .... and for question regarding SEPA and SWIFT .... google is your friend.

i would assume Alamy are making payments via a finacial service like a bank, who would then choose their method of payment. As my day job in City IT Consultancy all the Banks i've come across have Swift links so they could make the change fairly easily interally and the customers would not notice.

• 3 months later...

I can give an update on this - Alamy took care and checked with the bank, it was an error by the bank. They used WIRE instead of SEPA, the latter still without charges. Alamy was customer oriented and booked 23 USD on my account to cover my loss. I appreciate that contributor service picked up my questions and arguments.

• Love 4
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Andreas said:

I can give an update on this - Alamy took care and checked with the bank, it was an error by the bank. They used WIRE instead of SEPA, the latter still without charges. Alamy was customer oriented and booked 23 USD on my account to cover my loss. I appreciate that contributor service picked up my questions and arguments.

Good for you and, well done Alamy is what I say.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1