Minolta scanner to Mac connection

I would like to be able to use my old Minolta Image Multi Pro scanner with my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). The problem is that the Mac has no Firewire connection. I believe it has what is called a Thunderbolt/lightning socket ( there is a lightning symbol).

You can tell from the way that I explaining this that I haven't a clue.

Has anybody done this and can tell me what I need to buy? The alternative is to be wandering around town clutching my cable and asking dopey questions in computer shops.

Help!

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I would like to be able to use my old Minolta Image Multi Pro scanner with my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). The problem is that the Mac has no Firewire connection. I believe it has what is called a Thunderbolt/lightning socket ( there is a lightning symbol).

You can tell from the way that I explaining this that I haven't a clue.

Has anybody done this and can tell me what I need to buy? The alternative is to be wandering around town clutching my cable and asking dopey questions in computer shops.

Help!

You could possibly use this setup. Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 and 1 adapter, P/N MMEL2ZM/A, and connect it to an Apple thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter P/N MD464ZM/A, then attach a suitable firewire cable to suit your scanner, either FW800, or 800 to 400. 

The unknown is how your scanning application will react to the two adapters connected to each other. You will have spent few bob if you were to experiment unsuccessfully, best to wait to see if anyone else replies. Does you scanner also have a USB port, if so it would be slow. Were you going to use Vuescan?

Edited by sb photos

Many thanks for that. I have found the local Apple stockists and they can't help - Firewire technology is too old they say.

This is what I have: 

I0000J1wkcgqcbZg.jpg

I have an old Mac so can use the scanner with that.

I would like to be able to use it on

I0000eobY0o0ibmo.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I would like to be able to use my old Minolta Image Multi Pro scanner with my iMac

If it isn't possible then the usual recourse with old scanners with obsolete interfaces is to use an old cheap computer that does have the right one. That's actually the advice that Hasselblad give out for their X series scanners now. 

Firewire 400 to 800 which you have and then 800 to thunderbolt which is:- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=thunderbolt+to+firewire+adaptor&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=thunderbolt+to+fire+

Edited by ReeRay

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

If it isn't possible then the usual recourse with old scanners with obsolete interfaces is to use an old cheap computer that does have the right one. That's actually the advice that Hasselblad give out for their X series scanners now. 

That's what I am doing, but it is old, and it is slow.

2008 I think I bought it. 

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That's what I am doing, but it is old, and it is slow.

This is a good page that shows scanning times:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/DSMP/DSMA.HTM

Strangely sometimes SCSI is faster than Firewire, sometimes it isn't. The scanner won't be any faster on your Imac, I would suggest scanning direct to an external hard drive with an up to date fast interface, or multiple interfaces, so that transfer of the resulting scans to your Imac will be as fast as possible. Just let the scanner chunter away in the background.

Edited by Harry Harrison

If you have older kit supporting FW, as I do, likely best to use that. I used to use a SCSI based Polaroid Sprintscan 35, died long ago. My Minolta Dimage 5400 scanner has both USB and FW400, that I'll likely rig up again via FW to a thunderbolt to FW800 adapter I have, and run from a MBPr. Will be interesting to compare scans between the scanner and ES-1/macro lens combination.

8 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I used to use a SCSI based Polaroid Sprintscan 35

Oh yes, didn't want to recommend SCSI, that's what I have on my Imacon. It's fine but a bit limiting, though I have an old G4 dedicated to it and most Windows machines have been OK up until recently. Some use SCSI to Firewire converters, Ratoc made one for instance, but they are scarce and expensive.

10 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

The thunderbolt 1  adapter listed isn't suitable for the 2017 iMac, that requires thunderbolt 3, looks like a USB-C connector.

11 minutes ago, sb photos said:

The thunderbolt 1  adapter listed isn't suitable for the 2017 iMac, that requires thunderbolt 3, looks like a USB-C connector.

Drat! 

Why are things always so complicated! 

Edited by geogphotos

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Drat! 

Why are things always so complicated! 

It's all down to progress, If Apple didn't increase speed they would be criticised. Also faster interfaces are part of the package that helps selling new Mac's. Personally I always use what's adequate and ignore the marketing hype.

39 minutes ago, sb photos said:

It's all down to progress, If Apple didn't increase speed they would be criticised. Also faster interfaces are part of the package that helps selling new Mac's. Personally I always use what's adequate and ignore the marketing hype.

Complicated as in why do I just bid for something on Ebay - and no doubt win - and then seconds later find out it is the wrong thing! 

Edited by geogphotos

30 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I agree. Apple has been at the forefront of new technology for a long time and, because of the intimate relationship between MacOs and the hardware, they can do away with outdated technology without having to worry too much about backward compatibility, as there are usually adapters and workarounds (e.g. they buried the floppy drive where it belonged back in the 20th century). A cynic might say it is all about money but I think progress is the main driver. No doubt they make lots of money out of all the adapters they sell and these are usually expensive but they do tend to work unlike some of the third party stuff. 

I started up my undead 2008 MacPro last year to run my Nikon LS4000 on Snow Leopard. It worked initially but the computer could then no longer see the scanner. I gave up. I might give it one last try before I put the scanner on eBay where someone might buy it for parts. 

I have one of those firewire to thunderbolt adapters and I stopped using it and went to just USB because it was more reliable though slower. Sometimes "speed" slows you down when there is a glitch!

Paulette

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Complicated as in why do I just bid for something on Ebay - and no doubt win - and then seconds later find out it is the wrong thing! 

As sbphotos said above, you probably need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and then a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. You seem to have a Firewire 400 to 800 cable already. Both are available on the Apple Store but will set you back almost £80. The complexitiy arises from trying to marry old and new technology.