Wow, wow, this Android phone camera

I'm getting ready to fly back to Oklahoma Sunday a.m. from St. Croix, US Virgin Islands after a week of bliss.  A few days before leaving Oklahoma, I went down to AT&T to double check no roaming while in St. Croix. (no roaming).  While waiting, I checked out the newest iPhones.  Mine was a 4S.

An hour and a half later, with a $200 trade in, I walked out with a LG G2 and all I ended up paying, with the trade-in and a new contract, was the tax. :) :)

Oh, my, it is so fine.  A 13mp camera that takes wonderful images.  I've not had a chance to put them on my big iMac, but what I see on my laptop, I'm very pleased.

The G2 has a large screen that makes viewing photos so much better than the tiny screen on the iPhone.  I never looked back, even though I have an Apple desktop and laptop.  I wasn't syncing the danged things, anyway.  Although I could hook up the phone to my Mac and transfer photos.  Not sure how to do the Droid, I've heard there is a way but might be complicated.  

If anything from the phone is upload able size-wise, I'll give y'all a heads up if they are accepted.

I've shot with my D800, RX100, and G2, so I'll still be processing in February.

Betty

Another Android convert here, mind you I still have my Iphone should I need to swap the sim back...

I was watching a client using her samsung galaxy note II one day and thought how big, bright and easy to see the screen was and being as my mobiles are used for phone calls, internet, emails and diary whilst I am on the move that was a big plus.. 

I love the way the Iphone works but found the screen to small for internet, emails & diary etc.

I use an app called Android File Transfer to move files to/from my phone to my macbook. Works perfectly.

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Also sync my iCal with my Google contacts/diary no problem. Go into iCal -> preferences -> accounts and add your Gmail account. I also have my facebook account syncing with iCal. As soon as I put something in the diary on my phone it appears in iCal and my Gmail diary and vice-versa.

I'm thinking of switching too but I have so much data on iCal and my Mac Address book I fear not being able to port it over into a non Apple phone.Is it possible?

L

My Calendars on my Macs also display on my diary apps on my Android phone. I use Google calendars and they can be synced on both iCal and Android devices.

Glad to know there is a solution out there!  Thanks for the link and names.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get all these image folders off my MacPro and onto my iMac.

I couldn't seem to figure out "Migration".  When I did it, nothing happened.  I used my firewire cable that came with the new iMac and connected the two computers, highlighted the files on the laptop, but didn't see any way that popped up to get a button or anything to actually transfer them. 

I'm technology challenged, lol, so I have to know step by step, and I don't have that or can't seem to figure it out.  Still working on it.  I went down and bought a PNY flash drive an hour ago, thinking that would be the easiest to figure out.  I asked the guy at Best Buy if it would fit my Mac Pro, and he said yes.  But I can't see a port that fits it.  Then again, there are odd little shapes on the flash drive that I don't know if they pull off or not, and whether it would fit if I did pull the thing off.  I tried, it didn't budge, so I was afraid it belonged on there.  Oh, my soul for somebody who knew what to do.

Update:  Sliding cover. If I'd pulled from the other direction, I would have got it.  No, I tried to pull it off.  Had to go on the Internet to figure that out.  I could see the port...the sliding cover didn't cover the end, but I had to slide it back for it to fit into the port.   Why is everything so hard?  I have to laugh, otherwise I'd cry.

Maybe I'm still frustrated from having to drive a rental car on the left side of the road while on St. Croix.  Did it, not easy.  I was afraid when I got back to the states last night that I'd drive on the left and get a head on wreck, lol!  Any of you guys from across the pond, if you've driven in the US of A, you know what I'm talking about.  While driving, I had to concentrate hard and not look around at the island for fear my instinct would take me on the side of the road I'm used to driving on.

I got to listen to my sister yell in my ear about 100 times, "Stay left!"  I finally handed her the keys and she had a harder time than I, hahaha.

More on the Android phones.  We, as photographers, value the large screen and being able to view pictures sent to us, and the ones we take ourselves.  That's why the Androids are so great.  Better cameras, too.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, no, I don't backup using time machine.  Frankly, don't know what that's about.  LOL, you are getting into technical stuff I would need a blueprint for!  My brain is 3/4 creative, 1/4 technical. So anything I don't know how to do in the technical department, I tend to shy away from unless forced to address it, then I usually figure it out in 10 times the time it would take you.  Now, talk to me about adding textures to an image, I can tell you in a heartbeat. :)

My sister also got a new Android phone, and she said she just connected the cable belonging to it to her iMac and the photos transferred just fine.  I haven't tried it, since before she told me this,  I had laboriously emailed my images from the phone to myself, opened the mail on my Mac, and slid the images into a folder.  If there is a hard way to do something, I'm your woman.  I had Googled about it and read something that said you could transfer from an Android to a Mac, but it sounded like I'd have to get a program to do it and I just didn't go there.  My sister jumped in with no knowledge and did it straight up.

Great to hear there is at least one other who uses their mobile just as a phone! Be careful to switch it off after you've made your call. Orange is appalled that I load it up with £20 once a year whether it needs it or not

My wife does a similar thing, tops her mobile up about once a year with £10.00...

I have figured out how she gets away with a tenner a year now, as she tends to phone me ..let the phone ring twice and puts it down, resulting in me phoning her back..  :)

Up to less than 2 years ago, all I used were simple phones.  I decided to get a smart phone before heading off on a long road trip by myself for many miles, then 2 women together.  My GPS kept going in and out on me.  My phone brought up the maps and kept me going.  I could also check the weather, and see if I was about to run into anything bad. After all, I was traveling from Oklahoma into deep Texas in the spring.  Tornado alley.

So make fun of my using a smart phone. :)  It could possibly be a life saver in certain situations, since I'm rather independent, a bit over the hill, and jump into places and do things that might be dangerous.  My husband has given up (almost) with his dire warnings.  I can speak into my phone and request the nearest fuel station, fast food place, or whatever, then get a map to get me there.  I'd say my phone is my best buddy when a human one isn't handy.

Betty, I didn't mean to sound like I was making fun of you in any way, in fact I quite admire a fellow soul who isn't in the first flush of youth who gets a lot out of new technology. If you get coverage/reception out in your wide open spaces, I am envious. In this compact country we can't rely on picking up a decent signal even out here in East Anglia which isn't all that remote. As much as anything, that's why I just keep to using a relatively simple phone. And no danger of any opportunist thief plucking that out of my hand! In fact it's so sad, when I absentmindedly left it behind in a shopping trolley, someone handed it in to customer services. When I sheepishly went in to collect it, the girl at the desk handed it over holding it with two fingers like it might have been dipped in something disgusting. I would hate to part with it partly because it came with a number even I can remember. 

Oh, and please get a pal to bring you up to speed on the subject of time machine, or at least some form of back-up. There are alternatives to time machine, but your Mac is all set up to use that automatically with any external hard drive.

Thanks, Robert, I will explore Time Machine further.  I do have 2 external HDs connected, and two new ones waiting in the wings when the present ones are full.

Sorry your phone coverage is spotty.  I remember a lot of dead areas in Oklahoma when I got my first mobile, but I haven't found one in a long time. 

Hello All, this is my first post here and I want to hand it to Betty. We must be soulmates, I also have a Mac and at times have a bit of trouble figuring out special submissions and some techie stuff as well. Last year got a smart phone, but use it mostly for calls as well. Not too adept a taking photos as yet, yet alone uploading them to my computer from the TMobile phone.

Have a great day.

Diane

Archived