Chromatic aberration on Alamy's front image today?

Niels Quist

Wouldn't that be excessive chromatic aberration and not just acceptable colour cast on the Alamy front page image today? I wouldn't have dared an upload.

Edited by Niels Quist
Spelling error corrected
  • Like 1

I don't think that is chromatic aberration. It looks to me like a blue-purple fringing effect you get when shooting vegetation against a blue sky. There is nothing you can do about it. I don't thing there is any terrible colour cast either - if it was mine I would make it a bit darker but it looks fine to me.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Are these dark winter days getting to you, Niels? 

Yes, terribly rainy and dark weather and two figured Centigrade temperatures that start cherry blossom and much more. Frost later on will kill many buds, etc. 😒

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I don't think that is chromatic aberration. It looks to me like a blue-purple fringing effect you get when shooting vegetation against a blue sky. There is nothing you can do about it. I don't thing there is any terrible colour cast either - if it was mine I would make it a bit darker but it looks fine to me.

Okay, I have ditched images or worked seriously on this kind before.

Edited by Niels Quist

59 minutes ago, MDM said:

Just out of interest would you of uploaded that? With the fringing I mean. And please take that as its meant, a genuine question because I always bin anything like that, in fact have done today when editing. Is there a way to tell what is genuine CA or just the effect you refer to? I am thinking now I am maybe erring too far on the side of caution ??? I spend ages sometimes faffing around with images with that only to give up and bin them ! 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

That's what I find -- it's pretty well impossible to get rid of that kind of colour fringing with branches against a blue sky. QC understands this, but I'm always a bit nervous about uploading images with a lot of it. No problems so far, though.

3 hours ago, george said:

Just out of interest would you of uploaded that? With the fringing I mean. And please take that as its meant, a genuine question because I always bin anything like that, in fact have done today when editing. Is there a way to tell what is genuine CA or just the effect you refer to? I am thinking now I am maybe erring too far on the side of caution ??? I spend ages sometimes faffing around with images with that only to give up and bin them ! 

Good question. I might if it was a picture that would be likely to sell but I would be concerned that it might be failed as CA. I am an err on the side of caution guy myself when it comes to Alamy QC but I certainly would not spend time on trying to get rid of such extensive fringing. I definitely have uploaded pics with fringing behind leaves but I would have to some searching to find an example.

If I did get a fail for something like this I would argue the case for sure though as it is not CA. I think true lateral CA is either green or purple and occurs at the edges of the image whereas this is blue, is all across the top middle behind the trees and is due to some sort of bleeding of the colours. I am no expert on this I should add. 

On 14/01/2020 at 23:53, MDM said:

Good question. I might if it was a picture that would be likely to sell but I would be concerned that it might be failed as CA. I am an err on the side of caution guy myself when it comes to Alamy QC but I certainly would not spend time on trying to get rid of such extensive fringing. I definitely have uploaded pics with fringing behind leaves but I would have to some searching to find an example.

Thanks. I think I would worry too much and maybe tend to be overly cautious. As you say too, often not worth the time and effort trying to remove. 

On 15/01/2020 at 03:00, MDM said:

Not entirely true IMO. Careful playing around with manual defringing in the lens corrections tab in Adobe Camera Raw often works wonders, IME.

DD

• Like 1