Reciprocity Images

Question

50 MB
5125 x 3417 pixels
Image Size: Any size
Start: 11 December 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

Licensed for $0.99 gross. Thanks, Alamy 🙄

"Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays." 

...which coincidentally (or not!) is exactly the type of license once described as Novel Use which I have always opted out of! So opt-out or not, Alamy will still sell your full size images for pennies anyway?

Don't have a problem with the specific use per-se, but I do have a problem with Alamy once again giving away full res images very nearly for free! Just the same as "Personal" and "Presentation" uses, these ultra low-cost licenses should be SIZE LIMITED and contributors should be able to CHOOSE whether or not to have their images included!

• Love 2
  • Like 4

7 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, Reciprocity Images said:

50 MB
5125 x 3417 pixels
Image Size: Any size
Start: 11 December 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

Licensed for $0.99 gross. Thanks, Alamy 🙄

"Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays." 

...which coincidentally (or not!) is exactly the type of license once described as Novel Use which I have always opted out of! So opt-out or not, Alamy will still sell your full size images for pennies anyway?

Don't have a problem with the specific use per-se, but I do have a problem with Alamy once again giving away full res images very nearly for free! Just the same as "Personal" and "Presentation" uses, these ultra low-cost licenses should be SIZE LIMITED and contributors should be able to CHOOSE whether or not to have their images included!

50 MB "end product"?

I doubt about it.

This question comes up from time to time. I think Alamy have said that its complicated to produce small size images, but yes its a real curse that the buyer gets the full size file for these peanuts. Especially galling are the "personal use" sales that are then refunded leaving the client with the file that he promises not to use. A lot of people here have had examples of very clearly editorial images used for personal use and then refunded. I personally think that as Alamy are in the photo business they should be helping as much as they can in the fight against image theft, and supplying small size files for small projects should be on their list.

• Love 2
  • Like 5

All the other sites can provide images by size. I can license RF images by size on my own Photoshelter site with no problem, and that has been the case for more than a decade now.For Alamy to  say that licensing images by size is a problem for them is ludicrous. Maybe they should use some of the 20% commission we lost to hire computer programmers who know how to code properly.

(BTW I have made more nearly every day this month on one or more of the microstock sites than I made on my last two licenses here, so I feel your pain with these ridiculously microstock prices, particularly galling as there is no corresponding volume of sales that lets them add up to a worthwhile amount). 

• Like 1

Here is my posting to another thread regarding size of personal and presentation uses. The two P U s as in stinky.

I would like to see personal use and presentation use restricted to 2000 pixels on the long side. This is big enough for 99 % of the genuine users of these categories, but not big enough for the 99% of a subset of users who may be gaming the system by choosing the lowest price categories regardless of use.

Even if it is for personal use. If someone wants a 8000 pixel personal use image as wall decor in their castle, then they should pay a higher price for the higher resolution.

There was a lawsuite in the USA where the art director of a large book publisher testified under oath that it was company policy to buy the lowest price category, and then subsequently use the stock image for any and all purposes, exceeding the license limits.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/10-36010/10-36010-2014-03-18.html

See bottom of page 7

• Like 2

I'm reminded of the old "spot use" sales that we used to see lot of at one time. It was obvious that some clients in certain countries were choosing the smallest size possible and then using the images differently. Alamy is in effect shooting itself and us in the foot by supplying full-size files for personal use, student projects, presentation use, etc. at such low prices. Personally, I can't see why it would be that difficult to deliver smaller files to these types of clients given that Alamy has so much technological know-how. Other photo sites manage to do it. I can easily send  files of different sizes from my PhotoShelter website.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1