no people

will perrett

Question

Time was when I tagged certain images with "no people", but I was warned off doing so, because the search engine would pick up "people" and therefore generate a lot of false positives, apparently harming my Alamy ranking.  My question is whether the tag "WOP" (which it seems Alamy use as an abbreviation for "without people") is a suitable replacement, as part of a caption, a tag, or maybe both.

Will

10 answers to this question

The Alamy abbreviation 'WOP' arises from searchers ticking the 0  people box when using the image search field. I don't think many contributors use the abbreviation as a keyword and I doubt that many customers use it as a search term. 'Nobody' seems to be the way to do if you want to keyword 'no people'.

• Like 1

I do see quite often that searchers use the filters to choose images without people. I think that the majority of clients who want editorial content either want people or don't care either way, or if know they don't want any, they'll know to use the filters.

Having said that though, using "nobody" as others suggest is unlikely to bring up many false positive. Maybe someone who uses that tag could say if they often see in Measures that people have used that word? If so, I might try adding it myself in future. Come to think of it, I HAVE used "nobody" on a video agency I "experimented with" (that's my way of saying that I have never been successful in licensing any videos there!).

Looking at 'All of Alamy' for the past year,  'Nobody' has been used as a search term 28 times - so not massive. It's probably much more important to make sure the 'number of people' field in the optional tab in AIM is completed. The optional info in AIM contains quite significant information, so it remains a surprise to me that Alamy have persisted in labelling it as 'optional'.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Looking at 'All of Alamy' for the past year,  'Nobody' has been used as a search term 28 times - so not massive. It's probably much more important to make sure the 'number of people' field in the optional tab in AIM is completed. The optional info in AIM contains quite significant information, so it remains a surprise to me that Alamy have persisted in labelling it as 'optional'.

Thank you for looking at AoA Joseph, I didn't even think to. I agree, some of the optional information seems quite significant to me and I always complete it.

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

The Alamy abbreviation 'WOP' arises from searchers ticking the 0  people box when using the image search field. I don't think many contributors use the abbreviation as a keyword and I doubt that many customers use it as a search term. 'Nobody' seems to be the way to do if you want to keyword 'no people'.

I sometimes use the term “deserted” , e.g deserted beach. But I’ve never noticed it in a search that resulted in a view of one of my images...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Looking at 'All of Alamy' for the past year,  'Nobody' has been used as a search term 28 times - so not massive.

Not quite. Don't forget to use %. There are 8 pages  with 100 results per page for %nobody%.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1