Portfolio critique

kmerr

Hi all, sorry for my english, probably not good enough, especially for keywording :(,

I'm from Rome, Italy, I've just started my work here on Alamy and I would very happy if someone kindly could give me some opinion on my portfolio, keywords and captions (it's pretty small, but I'm working hard to expand it a lot).

Thanks in advance.

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro

Overall they look fine to me. They generally appear to have good exposure and are pleasing to the eye.

I would look at English and American spellings such as harbor / harbour as Alamy tends to have an English bias.

Although the extreme wide angle looks good on some shots, try close in with a longer lens on some detail occasionally to give more variation to your portfolio.

Some nice pictures so keep going.

Andy

Wonderful images. We can only see the essential keywords and those are the most important. The caption carries a very low weight so I suggest that you make sure the name of the place is in the essential keywords as well as the caption so as to bring your images up earlier in searches. For example the image of the Castel Sant'Angelo. You only have the English translation in the essential keywords but if someone is looking for that place they would use the name. The translations can be fine in the Main Keywords though maybe not angel for this image because if someone is looking for an angel this won't do the job. Keep up the good work.

Paulette

Salve, Alessandro! Your images look good . . . but . . . you're avoiding sunshine images, which sell best as stock. We photographers like moody, dusk light, but buyers often look for something more upbeat.  For the same reason, consider opening up the shadows and color in your trees; trees are green, not black. 

I agree with Cat about proper names (Do some test searches to see what names comes up most often). Your keywords (we can't see them all) look not that bad. Buona fortuna e piano, piano. Oh, do they still have good food in Rome? Let's see some pictures.

Cat, I thought the caption was important . . . did you mean the description?  

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/alamysearch-engine-explained.asp 

First, thanks to all for your comments and especially for the advice you gave me. 

@NYCat: In the image of "Castel Sant'Angelo" I have used "saint angel castle" in the essential keywords because I thought that famous place and monuments were searched with the english translation and not with the original italian name, however I understand that UK and US buyers mostly looking for a monument or a famous place using the original language name (Colosseo or Coliseum, Colosseum?), I got it wrong?

Most of the time we would use the original language. I think Coliseum would be an exception and I would put in all versions...Essential Keywords are the most important....

Annotation fields and their significance to the search engine Name Explanation Characters Significance

Caption A short factual description of the image used by customers to summarise its content. 128 Low

Essential keywords The most important words and phrases for the image. Although you have 50 characters, try to limit yourself to just 35 - about 6 to 8 words only. 50 Very high

Main keywords The next most appropriate words and phrases. These keywords are not displayed to clients. 300 High

Comprehensive keywords Any other words and phrases. Put all the remaining terms that apply, but which are not as significant as main or essential keywords. These keywords are not displayed to clients. 856 Medium

Description Explanatory or background text relevant to the image. More appropriate for historical, reportage and editorial images than for conceptual or commercial material. 2000 Zero

Location Put the location where the image was taken using the convention of street name, town, city, state, province, country. This information can make or lose a sale. 100 Zero

Date taken If you know the date taken please use this field, put the date the image was created not the date it was scanned or submitted. If you feel the date is of particular significance, for example “England winning the Football World Cup in 1966” then also put it in the Caption and Essential keyword fields depending on the date’s relevancy. – –

Paulette

Yikes... I tried doing a copy and paste of their chart and it ended up one long paragraph. Let me see if I can put in the link.... and separate out the sentences, at least.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp

Ed, the caption does count but is LOW and description is not searchable at all. And, on second thought, there probably would be English versions like -- Castle of Saint Angelo. Try doing a search for it in Alamy and also in other stock agencies and see what is being used. Try to do all possibilities with the most likely in Essential Keywords. 

Paulette

Alessandro, I decided to follow my own advice and do a little research. So I used Google and looked at the Wikipedia entry. This is what they have...

The Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as Castel Sant'Angelo (English: Castle of the Holy Angel),

So I think Google -- or an English language guide book can help you out. Use every version of the name you find. I was wrong about not using angel but pay attention to the order of the words as that will help.

Paulette

Hi Alessandro!

Good images! to sell more easily on Alamy need more bright colours and blue skies, and particularly more people in your images would be my only suggestions

Kind regards

Kumar

I think most english searchers would use the non english location name used by the locals. Names you would find on a map of Italy. You are also not  sorting out keywords by importance. A typical Tuscan alley should be "Tuscan", "alley", in the important keywords section, with "typical" in the all other not important keywords section. This way you would have more room in the important keywords section for a more important keyword like "architecture".

Your photographs are taken in a heavy overcast non directional light. I think some direction to the light would bring out more texture in the subject matter. Not necessarily bright sunshine with blue skies, but some direction to the light. A light, but not heavy, overcast still has some direction to the light. Stormy skies are also great, but heavy overcast is like a lead balloon.

If I have to take images in a heavy overcast, I avoid the sky entirely. Move in on the subject matter and eliminate the sky. Wait for dusk and get some light direction from the city lights. I do not try to darken the sky in post processing, because I think it looks unnatural.

Like your night shots, where the artificial light gives a texture and direction to the light.

Archived