small potatoes but annoying

edo

Question

Hi, 

First post here.

I've had some 30 or so images up on Alamy for about a decade or so (like I said, small potatoes).  I sold one a few years ago, and never got paid, so I contacted Alamy, and was told that contributors only get paid if the balance is over $50.  OK.  Checked today, another one sold recently and though combined they sold for $98, still my balance is under $50 due to the 50% Alamy commission on each.  What is annoying is this:  Alamy has been paid, and yet I have not.  Does not seem fair at all !!  

I don't rely on this for any sort of livelihood, so that's not an issue, but fairness is.  If they get money, I feel I should also.  And yes, I've read the contract, but who knows what it actually was when I initially signed up, and just seems unfair.  

Just griping here.

Edo

11 answers to this question

Just had a look at your images and you seem to have a good eye for a photo. Keep uploading images like those and you will get more sales.

Allan

On 05/10/2019 at 19:11, edo said:

Hi, 

First post here.

I've had some 30 or so images up on Alamy for about a decade or so (like I said, small potatoes).  I sold one a few years ago, and never got paid, so I contacted Alamy, and was told that contributors only get paid if the balance is over $50.  OK.  Checked today, another one sold recently and though combined they sold for $98, still my balance is under $50 due to the 50% Alamy commission on each.  What is annoying is this:  Alamy has been paid, and yet I have not.  Does not seem fair at all !!  

I don't rely on this for any sort of livelihood, so that's not an issue, but fairness is.  If they get money, I feel I should also.  And yes, I've read the contract, but who knows what it actually was when I initially signed up, and just seems unfair.  

Just griping here.

Edo

Those contract terms haven't changed- in fact when you joined the payment threshold was much higher, $175 or $250 IIRC. It's now $50 which saves Alamy the expense of having to make thousands of tiny payments every month- an expense we would probably all have to bear in the form of higher commissions. It's perfectly "fair" and applies to everyone and you agreed to it. You will have been notified of any contract changes and given the chance to leave..

Edited by spacecadet

Thanks to all who responded to my griping;  it seems like there's a nice little community here. I'll take some time over the next few months to upload more images, and perhaps redo some of the tags on those already on the site.  As probably with most things in life, rewards depend on work.... 

Edited by edo