Alamy and Adobe CC on New iPad?

I've seen this discussed before, I think.

One of the problems I'm having as a hapless traveler is that I might have to do my WiFi work in a bistro. I'm just at the curious stage at the moment, but I wonder if any of you have been submitting images to Alamy and doing tags with Alamy's system on one of the newer iPads. I do my tags after QC. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've seen this discussed before, I think.

One of the problems I'm having as a hapless traveler is that I might have to do my WiFi work in a bistro. I'm just at the curious stage at the moment, but I wonder if any of you have been submitting images to Alamy and doing tags with Alamy's system on one of the newer iPods. I do my tags after QC. 

Edo

Presume you mean iPad, not iPod. I’ve tagged successfully on a standard iPad, but much prefer doing it on my Macbook.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Alamy and Adobe CC on New iPad?

This is the newer models I'm asking about, Matt. I had an iPad mini and I could not do much of anything on it. I was looking at the larger, newer ones at the Apple Store today and they seem to behave like a computer. 

Mark, I once spelled cat wrong on a postcard. And I would prefer to work on my old iMac.

Edited by Ed Rooney

I tag in Bridge, but do all the work of prep after QC on my iPad. Mine is plenty large, not the mini. When I’ve accidentally had an image go through untagged, I have no problem doing it on my iPad. I don’t have Photoshop on it, I do all that on my desktop.

I'm sitting in my easy chair right now perusing the forum.  All my reading/posting is done on my iPad. I can’t do without it.

Betty

My concern is that I may only be able to get on the Internet in a cafe. A WiFi contract here is for 18 months. I have WiFi in my hotel, of course. And I hope to have it as part of a rental . . . but who knows? LR and PS and the rest of Adobe PP is on the computer. No Internet needed. For tagging and Alamy I need it.

I have a 2017 10.7” iPad Pro and it is amazing but tagging with it - no, not for me. It’s possible as Betty does it but I think it would be very tedious, an order of magnitude at least more tedious than using a computer for me. But then I find tagging really tedious anyway. I would want to be able to copy and paste metadata easily from my existing Alamy images as well as from text files rather than use the AIM method which I have never liked. That is possible but it takes a bit of learning selecting, copying and pasting on an iPad and it is a lot slower than on a computer. 

However if you were happy to change your workflow a bit it could be made a lot easier - tag in Lightroom, transfer to iPad, upload and do the final tidying in AIM maybe. 

I love the iPad though. Have a big library of photo mags and books to keep me alive when travelling on trains and planes, keep all my music on it, great for web, social media, watching video snippets and so on. Also it can be used for basic photo editing with Lightroom mobile which has a lot of good features although nowhere near the desktop version.

Edited by MDM

I have always preferred to tag in Bridge rather than AIM. The tags stay with my image on my hard drives. But if I didn’t prefer to do it that way, I’d have no problem doing all the tagging on my iPad in AIM.

When the new AIM was introduced, it messed up the keywords of all 5000 of my images. I fixed them all, deleting, putting in new, you name it, all on my iPad. And the only reason I didn’t go stark raving mad was because I sat on the sofa and multitasked for months completing the fix while watching television with one eye. It was a simple matter of cleaning them up, not starting from scratch, and didn’t require absolute concentration.

I successfully tag on my iPad when I have to, since I no longer own a laptop, but the words tedious and slow going accurately describe the activity in my opinion. Otherwise, I love my iPad and use it for reading books, online articles, email, etc, etc, etc.

Those are some helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Micheal, the reason I don't do my tags and PP at the same time is that it causes me stress to move back and forth from what is mostly intuitive visual work to frontal lobe thinking. This is a place where my neurosis surfaces. I feel that Yogi Berra made a very perceptive remark when he said, "You can't hit and think at the same time." 

Also, I can't pull out all the information from my head for the tags and I can't send anything to Alamy without Internet. As Yul Brynner once said while walking around a stage pretending to be the King of Siam, "It is a puzzlement."

At the moment, I'm thinking I will go with using a MacBook at Pret A Monger. 

Edo

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Those are some helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Micheal, the reason I don't do my tags and PP at the same time is that it causes me stress to move back and forth from what is mostly intuitive visual work to frontal lobe thinking. This is a place where my neurosis surfaces. I feel that Yogi Berra made a very perceptive remark when he said, "You can't hit and think at the same time." 

Also, I can't pull out all the information from my head for the tags and I can't send anything to Alamy without Internet. As Yul Brynner once said while walking around a stage pretending to be the King of Siam, "It is a puzzlement."

At the moment, I'm thinking I will go with using a MacBook at Pret A Monger. 

Edo

I am exactly the same Edo. You have hit the old proverbial nail on the head there.  If I am working on images then I am not thinking of keywords. I am focused totally on the visuals. I also do my keywording in AIM when I get around to it - been too busy lately and have a big pile-up in there of images awaiting tagging.

But what I am suggesting to get around your problem is to prepare all your images first and then add the keywords and captions in Lightroom, then transfer the images to an iPad and take that to the wifi source. Upload your images and then do minor modifications in AIM if necessary when they pass QC.

It is very easy to transfer images to and from an iPad from a computer now - you can buy these special USB sticks that plug into a computer one end and an iPad the other (an iPad with a lightening port). These are also useful for short term backup. 

Having said all that, there is probably not a huge h difference in weight between an iPad and your MacBook so you might be as well off sticking with that. 

. . . not to mention spending another $600 to $1,000 on gear. I think I'll stand pat.

At the moment, I'm being driven nuts by a relentless message on my iPhone 7: iPhone Not Backed Up -- you have not backup this iPhone in 2 weeks

Really? Do they mean that I did somehow successfully back up the phone 2 weeks ago? Hmmm. How did I do that? I am feeling as if the digital world has been dropped on me for past sins. It used to be helpful. It used to be almost fun. Not anymore. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

. . . not to mention spending another $600 to $1,000 on gear. I think I'll stand pat.

At the moment, I'm being driven nuts by a relentless message on my iPhone 7: iPhone Not Backed Up -- you have not backup this iPhone in 2 weeks

Really? Do they mean that I did somehow successfully back up the phone 2 weeks ago? Hmmm. How did I do that? I am feeling as if the digital world has been dropped on me for past sins. It used to be helpful. It used to be almost fun. Not anymore. 

I think that is sensible. I use my iPad a lot for reading among a lot of other things but it would not be worth buying one for what you are talking about. 

Don't let the digital stuff become a mountain. The good thing is that help is always a click or two away. If you search for iPhone backup and look at the info on the Apple site, you will get it sorted easily. You probably need to turn off iCloud backup if it is on and turn off notifications in the notification centre. Once you do this once, it becomes familiar. I am not sure how useful iPhone backup is anyway. I don't bother anymore as the only things that are on my phone and not elsewhere are some text messages. I use iCloud for all my contacts and calendar which means they update automatically on my other devices but not iCloud backup for the phone (or iPad).

Edited by MDM

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ahhhh, I like the sound of that turning-things-off tip. 

I miss reading in bed. I used to have a Kindle Paperwhite for that. I may try to replace it. Should be about $150. 

You are the Irish Prince, Michael! 

Thanks Edo 😀. I have a Kindle as well but it has become redundant as I much prefer the iPad for reading, as most of my reading these days is about photography. The iPad has colour so is way better than the Kindle for reading photography books and mags. If I was reading novels, then the Kindle would be excellent but I have to admit it is a long time since I have read a novel. The news these days is novel enough for me 😎.

Edited by MDM

The Kindle Paperwhite is the only e-reader that worked for me when reading fiction or nonfiction in bed, which used to be the close of most of my days. I bought an Amazon Fire shortly before the real fire that cost me my NYC flat. It was too heavy to use in bed. And if I'm reading tech stuff or mags I prefer doing it on a computer. 

Michael, I do exactly as you said. I PP in LR, open tweak and save in PS. Once I have finished, I tag in Bridge. I don’t develop and tag together as I go along. 

One, then the other, which is no different than tagging in AIM as far as separating PP and tagging.  I do review and tweak in AIM. Sometimes I think of a few new tags or phrases.

Betty