Would love some feedback--Thank you!

KellyC

Hi Everyone,

I've been slowly building up my portfolio here on Alamy and am hoping that some of you might find the time to offer me some constructive criticism. I do know that it is quite small, making me a tiny fish in a very large and talented pool, and I don't have many people shots, but is there any other help you can give me? I am working on my tagging (and going back to my first entries to add)--I think I started out with not enough but am wondering if now I'm adding too much? Any advice is most appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time.

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pl=1&plno=112314

Kelly (Washington State, US)

Kelly,

I really like some of your images, but I am not very popular

on this forum...  I am also from Eastern Washington state.

I do have a Pseudonym on ALAMY for "general stock" since

I am or was known for news images.

Over the years I've been involved with a number of large photo

agencies and I can say that ALAMY is the best that I have contributed

to.

Welcome.

Chuck Nacke

• Love 1
  • Like 1

You have some very nice images, Kelly, and I think the captions and tags look fine too. One thing I noticed is that you haven't included alternative tags for the US - it is probably worth including USA, and United States of America, as some customers might search using those keywords.

• Love 1

Hello Kelly,

Some smashing pictures, the english Muffin with melting butter (PREP82) is timed just right. Just enough melted butter running into the muffin. It tells a simple story well.

New contributors to Alamy often start with submiting their favourite pictures which is fine but not as business like as it could be.  Follow Ed's advice, if you want a finacially viable portfolio find what the market wants and your locality supplies. 

If Ed and Chuck like your pictures, its only the business you've got to crack.

James

• Love 1

4 hours ago, KellyC said:

Thank you so much for all the tips! Most appreciated and I will take them all to heart :-) Chuck, it's nice to meet another Washingtonian--I'm in Belfair by Hood Canal. 

Kelly,

Spent many summers on Hood canal.  Use to walk the beach picking up large oysters.  For many years lived in West Seattle with a view

of the Fauntleroy ferry.

PS the oysters are much better back here on the New England coast,

Chuck

On 25/07/2019 at 21:52, Chuck Nacke said:

PS the oysters are much better back here on the New England coast,

I might get run out of town for admitting this, but I'm not really a fan of oysters! Now a nice Dungeness crab is a different story :-)

Kelly

On 25/07/2019 at 16:07, Chuck Nacke said:

I really like some of your images, but I am not very popular

on this forum

I'm not sure why you think you're unpopular Chuck. You are The Original One, after all.

Alan

9 hours ago, KellyC said:

I might get run out of town for admitting this, but I'm not really a fan of oysters! Now a nice Dungeness crab is a different story :-)

Kelly

Kelly,

Ouch, I really do miss the Dungeness crab.  Back in the late 70's and early 80's when I was at Western Washington University, Crab and wild Salmon were what we called

"Free Food." I won't go into the mushrooms.....

Check out one of my favorite images on Alamy: CX0RKJ shot for Pacific Northwest Magazine in the early 80's with a Nikon SP with a 50mm 1.4 on FUJI 100 RD.

Thanks Alan.

Chuck

On 27/07/2019 at 22:08, Chuck Nacke said:

Check out one of my favorite images on Alamy: CX0RKJ shot for Pacific Northwest Magazine in the early 80's with a Nikon SP with a 50mm 1.4 on FUJI 100 RD.

Been out of town on camping trip but finally got to check out this shot--great one, and just as relevant for that area today. You have a fascinating portfolio!

Kelly

PS Re the mushrooms, I've probably got them on our property!

Kelly,

Thanks, guess that is what happens when you spend 40 years as nothing but a photographer.....

Probably not a good Idea to continue about the Shromz. Can you still get Dungeness crab for

a reasonable price?  My brother-in-law had a crab boat in Bellingham in the 70's and 80's and it

was just take the boat out and pull up some dinner.....

Chuck

6 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

These are even better, from the Dungeness snack shack
KH68R4.jpg

A Crime to do to fresh Dungeness crab.....

We use to get some fresh sourdough a nice Napa Chardonnay (Sterling),

break the crab from the shell sit on the San Francisco Bay ......  (yea I

know I should have shot it for stock....)

Chuck

On 03/08/2019 at 22:46, Chuck Nacke said:

Can you still get Dungeness crab for

a reasonable price?  My brother-in-law had a crab boat in Bellingham in the 70's and 80's and it

was just take the boat out and pull up some dinner.....

Hi Chuck,

Compared to catching your own, it's spendy, but I think price is still pretty fair, as long as you stay away from places like Pike Place Market! I have noticed them getting much smaller. Two good crabs used to easily feed four of us, now we need three. Several local grocers have commented on that in the last couple of years. I also think the seasons are shorter and fewer locations available for non-commercial crabbers. Must admit, I am now hungry for crab, some really good sourdough, and that bottle of wine. I have been here in Washington for 30 years but grew up in the Bay Area. I miss that SF sourdough!

On 05/08/2019 at 13:34, LawrensonPhoto said:

And to the OP, where's the people in your pictures?

You are right, and I did mention in my original post that I have very few images with people. I am, without a doubt, NOT a newspaper-style editorial or a lifestyle photographer and I know that hurts my sales chances. People are tough for me as I am very, very much an introvert. Will need to work on that :-)

Edited by KellyC