Jpg or tiff or raw file for submission ?

Hi,

What is best practice for file type submission ?

JPG I save as max quality but if a potential buyer sees jpg, might they think its suffering compression artefacts ? Can they see its saved as best or is it assumed ?

If they see tiff they will assume its pure and pedigree., no quibbles there.

If they see RAW they know they have control and can tweak and hone it.

Also supplying raw files saves a massive amount of time on fine tuning, rotating, tweaking etc , though submitting images that need a bit of work doing isn't really acceptable and could count against you. Alternatively if one has edited out a traffic cone or minor feature spoiling otherwise a great photo, and no doubt there are some of use who have found ourselves photographing a village on bin day , 😏 raw file means the buyer has that to do, if they care.

So is it best to supply raw and be done with the time hogging tweaking leaving that to the buyer ?

BoBMan

I was going to take this off on an angle to the question of does a buyer know that the jpg is max quality, does Alamy check on the fact that its saved as such, but no doubt thats in the manual or declared somewhere that the buyer can have faith.

BoBman.

Edited by BoBman

12 minutes ago, BoBman said:

Hi,

Not sure what RTFM stands for.

BoBman.

8 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Read the f...n manual!

I always thought it meant read the friendly manual 😂

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, BoBman said:

I was going to take this off on an angle to the question of does a buyer know that the jpg is max quality, does Alamy check on the fact that its saved as such, but no doubt thats in the manual or declared somewhere that the buyer can have faith.

BoBman.

I don't think Alamy specify JPEG quality in the FM but common sense would dictate creating the highest quality JPEGs possible. The only reason not to do so would be if one had a slow internet connection I would think. The pixel dimensions represents the more important parameter as this will influence the perceived sharpness of an image. 

11 hours ago, BoBman said:

does a buyer know that the jpg is max quality

It can be instructive to investigate the differences between different jpeg quality settings yourself. Choose a suitable image, perhaps one that combines a lot of fine detail with another area of smooth graduated tones, say a townscape under a clear blue sky. Then save jpegs at different settings and stack them as layers in descending order of quality in a psd file. You can then use the 'difference' blend mode in Photoshop to see the quality differences between appropriate layers.

• Like 1

Hi, I ran a test many years ago where I established that Q6 pshop was the point at which an immediate visible difference was not apparent for general run of the mill image saving for other folk at work, and myself, and for important work I adopted q10 through to q12, so q10 is not discernible from q12 and abetter file size. noted, thanks.

BoBman