What exactly is the reportage route in Alamy?

JustinWyllie

Question

On the page where you can apply it says: 

What do we mean by reportage images?

Photojournalistic images illustrating a story but captured under difficult circumstances and because of this might not pass our standard QC checks. Examples include photo essays or features.

But what could I actually submit? Does the mention of photo essays/features mean that they are interested in sets of images that work together which they then sell as a reportage feature? Can anyone expand on this point at all? 

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Good question. I've been submitting images of local cultural events, ones that, as you suggest, work together as a set. Unfortunately, unlike Live News images, Reportage images don't stay together as a set once they have been uploaded, which sort of defeats the purpose of having photo essays. Plus you can't add a heading to help put related images in the same basket.

P.S. Canadian news outlets rarely use Alamy images, so I don't really expect my reportage images to license (perhaps) until long after the fact as general stock, which is what has happened in the past with some of my Live News pics. But I guess one never knows...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good question. I've been submitting images of local cultural events, ones that, as you suggest, work together as a set. Unfortunately, unlike Live News images, Reportage images don't stay together as a set once they have been uploaded, which sort of defeats the purpose of having photo essays. Plus you can't add a heading to help put related images in the same basket.

P.S. Canadian news outlets rarely use Alamy images, so I don't really expect my reportage images to license (perhaps) until long after the fact as general stock, which is what has happened in the past with some of my Live News pics. But I guess one never knows...

You can use the same first words in the captions and the other photos will come up as similars by the same contributor if one is clicked (just tested on a series I have on a clock repair shop.  Not perfect order, but will get a range of similar photographs illustrating some work up.

4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

You can use the same first words in the captions and the other photos will come up as similars by the same contributor if one is clicked (just tested on a series I have on a clock repair shop.  Not perfect order, but will get a range of similar photographs illustrating some work up.

Yes, that certainly helps, but it's not quite the same as having a set of images bundled under a headline. I used to contribute to a newsy website that let you create a slideshow / photo essay with detailed descriptions. That was pretty cool. However, the site get swallowed up by a big stock agency which in turn was gobbled up by an even bigger agency. 

Edited by John Mitchell

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd say a lightbox would be the answer - perhaps on your website.  Or great for social media or e-mail attachment. You would benefit from Twitter.

Edited by Niels Quist

I have a series about a polar bear hunting, catching and eating a seal and I have put PBHunt in the keywords and explained in More Information that all the images can be seen with that keyword. As the subject comes up now I wonder why I did not put that in the caption. Hmm.. Not enough room? I must try today.

Paulette

10 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

I'd say a lightbox would be the answer - perhaps on your website.  Or great for social media or e-mail attachment. You would benefit from Twitter.

Yes, I should look into the lightbox option. I tried Twitter a few years back, and it made me dizzy. Perhaps I'll give it another try. Actually, I'm glad that Alamy has opened up the Reportage route despite its shortcomings. At least it gives those of us who aren't "real" news photographers a chance to get newsy and possibly less-than-perfect images up a bit faster without having to worry about QC. I'm a bit surprised that Alamy, being primarily an editorial agency, hasn't explored the photo-essay option further by giving contributors the ability to create slideshows, etc.  Easy for me to say, of course...

Edited by John Mitchell