Have you opted out of distribution to Slovenia?

After another sale for a derisory amount in February I opted out of distribution to Slovenia so I was surprised to get another similar sale today.

After querying this with Alamy I was told the distributor had downloaded the image sometime last year!! 

They couldn't tell me if other images had also been downloaded and might therefore show up as sales.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

No but after getting one this morning, I may well do !!

There's no down side from staying in. I swallow my pride and accept every penny I can get, which over time adds up to very acceptable amounts

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've said numerous times, I'm in the stock photo production business. I let Alamy handle the licensing and pricing. 

Do Alamy have any say in distributor pricing? 

Looking back at our sales for ‘editorial website’ use the price varies wildly from one country to another.

16 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Looking back at our sales for ‘editorial website’ use the price varies wildly from one country to another.

As do so many others. Everything seems negotiable now

I have opted out of sales to the Czech Republic, but not to Slovenia (haven't had any).  But if Slovenia prices are as low as those to the Czech Republic I will opt out as soon as it happens to me.  Opting out is the only way we have of opposing these sales at offensively low prices.

4 hours ago, Ollie said:

.  But if Slovenia prices are as low as those to the Czech Republic I will opt out as soon as it happens to me.  

They are as low!  But if you wait until it happens to you it will be too late. As we have found out images that were downloaded up to a year ago, before we opted out, can still be licensed for ridiculously low fees. 

Put it into context of 'Cost of living', what we find as being a low fee, could well be a reasonable price for someone using an image in the Czech Republic or Slovenia.

Globalization works both ways.  It gives us access to a global market, but we have to value our work against each location it's being offered.

2 hours ago, SCWLee said:

Put it into context of 'Cost of living', what we find as being a low fee, could well be a reasonable price for someone using an image in the Czech Republic or Slovenia.

Globalization works both ways.  It gives us access to a global market, but we have to value our work against each location it's being offered.

That's a valid point, but I think stock pricing should also be balanced against how much it would cost the Slovenian to create a similar image themselves. So if paying more than a couple dollars for an image would be out of their reach, how much more out of their reach would paying to go to the foreign country to shoot a specific tourism photo, for instance, or paying to import an object and then paying someone to do a photo shoot be?

If a Slovenian photographer priced up the shoot for them based on her/his Slovenian cost of living, would it be cheaper? I would say not. So even at foreign prices, they're getting a bargain.

So some consideration could be made for places like these, but also keeping in mind the photographer had to pay the costs of living of wherever she or he was, not Slovenia.

• Like 1