Family members model release

Bryan

Question

I only ever cite a model release if the model is a member of the family, normally my wife or myself. In the past I have produced a new release for every new situation.

Rather than generate a new release every time, is it acceptable to produce a generic release for each "model" that covers all images? If so is there an appropriate wording that can be used?

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Since Alamy now asks when a client needs a release, why not just run one off if you get a query?

I think in general it is wise to get a model release from a family member at the time of shooting. It might be that you are blessed with a strong and stable family relationship where, twenty years hence, you might ask a spouse or other family member to sign a retrospective release and not hit any problems. That may not be the case for all of us and having a signed release in your pocket may head off the future fury of a vengeful ex-spouse when relationships are not quite so rosy and your image of them in an unfavourable light has just hit the high street billboards.

To answer Bryan's original question: I have used a release produced by the Big G for years now. In the 'Shoot Date' I put whatever covers the work without being absolutely specific, something like 'Redecorating shoot Feb to April 2019'. I've it done this way for several years for me and my wife (and occasionally my children), when submitting video to microstock agencies and stills to Alamy, and no QC reviewer has ever queried it. (Yes, I know Alamy QC doesn't look at releases anyway, but the microstock QC people can be quite sharp in spotting incomplete or dodgy releases. 

I tend to go with Mark's (Spacecadet) approach and will ask a family member for a model release as and when needed. I am terrible and filling and keeping track of these things if I did them in advance of Alamy asking for one. I guess the important point is not to fall out with your family or get divorced in the meantime! 🙂

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I tend to go with Mark's (Spacecadet) approach and will ask a family member for a model release as and when needed. I am terrible and filling and keeping track of these things if I did them in advance of Alamy asking for one. I guess the important point is not to fall out with your family or get divorced in the meantime! 🙂

And heaven forbid if someone suddenly dies....

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware of the change of policy where Alamy will ask a contributor to provide a release. However this does appear to raise new questions. For example if there are competing images, will that with a ready made release get priority from the sales team, or what happens if you are away from home when the request appears etc?  Add in the objections raised above and the situation becomes further clouded.

I confess that I find the preparation of a release to be an onerous task, bearing in mind that the likelihood of any one image selling is fairly low. I have sold a couple of pics for commercial use, but they were without people, while some of my released shots have been used for editorial purposes, so I'm not sure that the work has borne fruit. Hence the need for a quick and easy solution.

Yes, Bryan. I agree.

I don’t believe any of my released people have sold for anything but editorial. I never bother anymore.  

The one image that sold very nicely for advertising was for a pie I made. No release needed.  Or was it advertising? Used on a package. I kept forgetting to look for it on the aisle that sold baking products when I was grocery shopping.

Betty

I use my wife and children often in images and I keep model releases handy.  I do each release specific to

the photograph.  Not that difficult, plus it helps me remember birthdays,  I'm in my 60"s and it helps.....

Chuck

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware of the change of policy where Alamy will ask a contributor to provide a release. However this does appear to raise new questions. For example if there are competing images, will that with a ready made release get priority from the sales team, or what happens if you are away from home when the request appears etc?  Add in the objections raised above and the situation becomes further clouded.

I confess that I find the preparation of a release to be an onerous task, bearing in mind that the likelihood of any one image selling is fairly low. I have sold a couple of pics for commercial use, but they were without people, while some of my released shots have been used for editorial purposes, so I'm not sure that the work has borne fruit. Hence the need for a quick and easy solution.

You haven't had to upload the release for some time.. just state whether you have one. But recently it went further.. you now can't actually upload a release to Alamy whether you have one or not. 

Alamy actually tweet about this every day it seems (keep an eye on th eright-hand side of AIM). 

Archived