Alamy Live News Headline

This isn't a question, more of a comment really so that others new to Live News don't make the same mistake as me. I thought I'd try uploading to Live News at the weekend, I knew it was going to be a learning process and on reflection I made a pretty basic mistake but if anyone else is trying it in the early hours of a Sunday morning they might conceivably make the same mistake as I did.

I had read the Alamy pdf over and over and it's very precise so thought I had it cracked:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/captions-and-headlines-for-alamy-live-news.pdf

The (stupid) mistake I made was not to make the headline the same for all the images, to be fair it does tell me to do that here:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-news-images/captions-headlines-dates-live-news-images/?section=3

However, crucially for me it doesn't mention it in that pdf which is what I concentrated on, I think it should.

Of course you only make that mistake once but if I hadn't happened to have seen my images in the Live Feed in the morning, but separately, not in a group, I still wouldn't have a clue as to why they had failed. They disappeared in front of my eyes and then back in AIM I saw them now as 'failed' instead of 'processing' and of course they should fail, they are messing up the Live News Feed.

A little frustrating, and of course I'm still left wondering if I made some other error somewhere else, the instructions are very precise, a full stop here, the date like this etc. some details seem to be more important than others, no date in the headline for instance but there are images up there with dates in the headline. All sorts of things cross your mind, the rejection email just says "Sorry we’ve deleted your image(s) from the News Feed as it's not what we're looking for".

Who knows what else might have been wrong, paranoia sets in!

OK, thanks for that, I wasn't sure whether there was a human being looking at them. Not entirely sure why they wouldn't have qualified as news though, too parochial possibly though that's hard to define. All sorts of reasons they could have failed really but do you mean that the email they send you is pretty specific to the actual reason, or the actual main reason?

39 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They weren't removed because they had different captions

I mean in my case they would need to fail, I'm sure Alamy don't want single images scattered across the Live News Feed, but perhaps they failed on content before they even started to look at that. Obviously it would be nice to learn from this experience but given the absence of any specific information back from Alamy despite sending them an email it's hard to learn. I only emailed them yesterday, so today in effect, perhaps I'll learn more but all I got was the standard text accompanying the test image which, amongst other things is what I asked for.

Of course, I quite understand that they're not in the business of one-to-one coaching!

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Sorry we’ve deleted your image(s) from the News Feed as it's not what we're looking for

Nothing in that message from Alamy about headlines or captions or insensitivity to Britain's cats or any other speculative reason you can invent . . . it is what it is, surely: telling you that the images aren't what Alamy are looking for for their News Feed.

Most of the time, if it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, and someone says it is indeed a duck . . .

DD

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

OK, thanks for that, I wasn't sure whether there was a human being looking at them.

The news feed is the one part of Alamy where you are guaranteed 100% to have a human being eye-balling each and every image that comes in.

They, after all, have to decide which ones - if any -  to sent out to the print and online media

km

6 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

Nothing in that message from Alamy about headlines or captions

So you're telling me that the fact that the headlines were different wouldn't have mattered if the pictures had been suitable?

3 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

The news feed is the one part of Alamy where you are guaranteed 100% to have a human being eye-balling each and every image that comes in.

Thanks, good to know, though in my case not overnight presumably. Just trying to get a handle on how it works.

4 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

So you're telling me that the fact that the headlines were different wouldn't have mattered if the pictures had been suitable?

The news team would probably have helped to gather the images under the same headline. Especially if you e-mail the news team about the problem.

11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

A little thought experiment:

"wow, look at this, HH has sent us three photos of the Russians invading Staffordshire . . . but wait, OH NO, what a shame, he used different headlines on each one . . . we can't use them!!!"

DD

8 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

The news team would probably have helped to gather the images under the same headline

Thanks, that's given me an insight into how it all works. I still think the pdf should make it clear that the headline should be the same across all the images though but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

On 04/03/2019 at 22:16, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, that's given me an insight into how it all works. I still think the pdf should make it clear that the headline should be the same across all the images though but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

If the headlines don’t match, the news team very quickly join them up, as they don’t want the news feed to look a mess. You’ll only get an email if the images are not suitably newsworthy. Image upload will fail if any of the images don’t have a headline.

5 hours ago, Sally said:

If the headlines don’t match, the news team very quickly join them up, as they don’t want the news feed to look a mess

Thank you, it's difficult to work this out for yourself to begin with so it's great to be able to mine the accumulated experience of this forum.

15 hours ago, Sally said:

If the headlines don’t match, the news team very quickly join them up, as they don’t want the news feed to look a mess. You’ll only get an email if the images are not suitably newsworthy. Image upload will fail if any of the images don’t have a headline.

Not always quickly. 
At the weekend the live feed can look like a disaster zone for hours.

Archived