Warning about Adobe CC plan

Last month’s billing, who knows maybe before, I was charged for Adobe CC every 2 weeks. Again on this billing. The odd thing is that on my credit card bill, both charges have the identical plan number.

I just contacted Adobe customer support and became involved in a chat. BTW, if you are looking for an arrow or “send” button to send your part of the conversation, you won’t find it. Anyway, I didn’t. I fumbled around forever then hit “return” and it went.

Ok, back to the subject. Turns out I was being charged, #1 for the CC plan, #2 for 20 Gb of storage!! That I never knowingly signed up for, and never used, and didn’t know I had.

I could see several threads in the Adobe forum complaining of double charges, too. I don’t understand how this happened unless Adobe sneaked something in a survey, which I did take once. 

Just a warning to check your debit card, credit card or whatever.  I got it resolved, they are taking that plan off, and I’ll have a check in the mail soon.

Geesh.

Betty

It looks like there is a blip with Adobe's charging system rather than anything sinister. The 20GB of storage is part of the normal Photography plan (20GB). This is what you signed up for - they added the 20GB of storage free when they made the big changes in late 2017 as far as I know. This is what most of us have - Photoshop and Lightroom Classic as well as the new Lightroom CC which most of us don't want.

There is a separate plan called the Photography plan (1TB) which is more or less the same except it gives far more cloud storage and is probably mainly aimed at those who want to used Lightroom CC rather than Classic. Looking at the Adobe website, there is now a Lightroom CC (1TB) plan also. 

I pay annually in June so hopefully I won't get charged twice. I expect that they will sort it out soon anyway. Double charging is not good for business. 

MDM, you’re probably right that it isn’t a plan to cheat us. When I Googled it, I saw others complaining in shock...like, “What did I do?!!”

Thats when  I started seeing monsters in the shadows. If a lot of people don’t check their statements, Adobe will rake in some serious bucks.

BTW, I stood on my head and whistled Dixie just to finally get the chance to read yours and Bear’s posts.  The whole post disappeared, then all I saw was mine. It disappeared again. Finally....I saw the replies.

It’s a testament to our bull-headedness that we keep trying. :D

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Turns out I was being charged, #1 for the CC plan, #2 for 20 Gb of storage!! That I never knowingly signed up for, and never used, and didn’t know I had.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been noticing some strange activity related to CC storage (which I don't intentionally use). Interesting to see what happens when the monthly bank withdrawal comes.

I had a similar thing happen to me over a year ago, I contacted my credit card issuer and reported the 2nd payments as fraudulent activity as it was not authorized, money was refunded and further payments were blocked. 

12 hours ago, domf said:

I had a similar thing happen to me over a year ago, I contacted my credit card issuer and reported the 2nd payments as fraudulent activity as it was not authorized, money was refunded and further payments were blocked. 

I’ve been notified by Adobe that the charge has been removed and I’ll get a refund. It’s hard for me to believe these charges are accidental considering the number of people it’s happened to. For everyone complaining, there’s probably 100 that it’s happened to without broadcasting online. 

Update.  I got two emails from Adobe saying this.

Cancellation confirmation
We've processed your cancellation request. Your service will end on 28-February-2019 (PT).
After that, your account will revert to a basic, free level of membership. Free memberships retain limited access to Creative Cloud services and 2GB of complimentary online storage. (You may need to delete files to meet your new storage limitations.)

Keep exploring Creative Cloud, and we wish you well in your future endeavors.

Of course that scared me.  I got back online to the Adobe chat, and of course, got somebody different from the first person.  This person told me this:

I can see you already had the subscription of Photography plan (20GB) under your account but still a new subscription of same plan was purchased.

The first person I chatted with a couple of days ago only said I was being charged the second 9.99 for the 20 GB of storage. I told him to cancel that, I had never signed up for that storage.

This person today, told me I had signed up for two accounts.  Well, let me tell you I have not accessed that Adobe Plan page since I first signed up for CC. Actually I guess I did when the new stuff rolled out and we could choose between the LR choices.  Not since.

Trying to get today's person to understand that I still want the original plan was like pulling teeth.  He/she never explained what the first two emails meant.  I told him/her that if I log on to work on pictures and find I don't have my plan I will be furious.  I feel the help line is outsourced to another country, and their misunderstanding of English is half the problem.  I can ask one thing and get told something unrelated.  And sometimes in a slightly hostile way.  I didn't swear at them but I sure felt like it!..:D  The worst thing I said was the "I will be furious" remark.

I don't need this.  Adobe needs to get their stuff together.

Betty

Yeah, I was trying to straighten something out with another company, and, after finally getting a live person (and then a supervisor), still didn't make much headway. The other person's accent and scripted way of talking made me ask  where they were located, and they said the Philippines. Outsourcing sometimes doesn't work well (except for the front office).

If non-native speakers in these outsourced call centres are difficult to understand and communicate with, it is often easier to use chat than phone in these circumstances. The other advantage of chat is you can save it (or screenshot) so you have a record of the conversation.  

Betty -  did you log into your Adobe account and check if you had actually got two identical plans. As I said above, there is no charge for the 20GB storage - that is part of the basic LR Classic and Photoshop package - i.e. Photography Plan (20GB). If you go into your account, hit Manage Plan, there should be an option to view your Order History. Is there more than one order for the Photography Plan (20GB) and if so do they have separate order numbers?

40 minutes ago, MDM said:

If non-native speakers in these outsourced call centres are difficult to understand and communicate with, it is often easier to use chat than phone in these circumstances. The other advantage of chat is you can save it (or screenshot) so you have a record of the conversation.  

Betty -  did you log into your Adobe account and check if you had actually got two identical plans. As I said above, there is no charge for the 20GB storage - that is part of the basic LR Classic and Photoshop package - i.e. Photography Plan (20GB). If you go into your account, hit Manage Plan, there should be an option to view your Order History. Is there more than one order for the Photography Plan (20GB) and if so do they have separate order numbers?

Yes, Michael, thank you.  I did check. On my credit card, the plan numbers were identical, with a 9.99 charge for each, two weeks apart. When I looked at my order history, the only thing I had ordered after the original plan order in 2013 was Illustrator in February of ‘17. I canceled it a month or two later because of my caretaker duties left me with no time to learn it.

I see an order for the second Photography plan was made on September of 2017, at least 4 months after I had last accessed Adobe’s site.

I never ordered it. Why would I when I was happily using it already? Yet during then and all of 2018 there were no charges for it on my credit card and after cancelling Illustrator in April or May, I never accessed Adobe again until now.  Those charges for the second plan only just showed up on my card this month.  And yes, in spite of the plan numbers on my credit card being identical on each 9.99 charge, they are different on Adobe’s site.

It just gets more and more confusing.

I did have a chat, not a phone call, thank heavens. Even so, things slipped through the cracks......’nuf said.  I’m still holding my breath to see if I still have my original plan after February 28.  At this point, nothing is clear or sure based on my fractured chat.

Archived