The revolving game of Why Didn't I?

Jill Morgan

Over the past couple of days I have been going through my photos of my trip to Toronto.

And as I bring every picture up to 100% for QC, I find myself over and over saying "Why didn't I also take a zoomed in shot of that as well as the wide shot?"  Or why didn't I notice that great shot in the background I should have taken as well? jI"m beginning to think I should take my laptop with me as well on shoots so when I go in for a coffee, I can go over the pics at 100% and see if there was anything in there I should have shot and missed.

Anyone else suffer from cases of Why Didn't I?

Jill

Missed a good one a while back. Took photo of front of pub with wide wide lens and only when seen at 100% on computer did I notice a lovely missed image of a person sat in the pub behind a clear glass window reading a newspaper with the sun streaming in on him alone.

Reminisant of some shots taken by a geezer with an old Leica some years ago.

Arrgh!

Allan

Jill

Hmmmm....... not really ^_^

I think this is because - especially for landscapes and certainly for mountains - I prefer to use my 70-200/2.8 (even my 400mm) to pick out the interesting bits. Wide angle lenses, I use mainly to show an interesting foreground subject in its environment. But very rarely use a wide angle lens to capture a whole scene. When I want to show the whole landscape in one shot without the interesting bits getting lost, I prefer to make a panoramic shot (when possible) by stitching several 50mm or 70-200mm lens' images.

Developing an eye for those little distant gems will get better in time ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Similarly, I use a 50mm for a lot of my landscapes, especially if there are mountains, as using a wideangle often makes mountains look small and wimpy (unless I'm in very close as in a valley or a cliff). The 50mm gives superior image quality to a wideangle. I'm normally using landscape format but I will frequently take an additional sky shot with overlap and stitch later to get a portrait or even a square format. I also prefer to do a panorama with the 50mm rather than use a wideangle. It gives a realistic representation of the scene although a wideangle can provide a more dramatic rendering, especially on skies. I don't use anything longer than a 50mm for landscapes because I am usually at the weight limit of what I want to carry.

Of course it means a lot more work post-processing having to stitch images together - that is the downside.

• 2 weeks later...

I wake up in the morning thinking "I must try to look beyond the scene in front of my eyes when taking photos".

And when the camera is at my eye I get so engrossed in the scene I totally forget.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived