Win 10 keyboard dead after box sleeps

My hard wired keyboard often loses functionality after the computer goes to sleep. The - remote dongle operated - trackball continues to work.

I can reactivate the keyboard by restarting the computer, but that's a lengthy process.

Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this problem, or, failing that, a method of kicking the keyboard  into life using the trackball and without restarting the box?

Could be update related. I had total loss of keyboard function following an update and a more serious issue affecting the computer turning on at all. The former was solved with a manual driver update, the latter by allowing windows update to "fix a problem" after which a mass update series occurred. All now pretty much working fine now bar one issue where my colour management profile gets ditched at random moments. My root problem could be the laptop was originally win8...

Also hibernate option disappeared from all menus and was a pain to reactivate. Win8 or not i link all the above issues to update events.

Thanks both!

Yes I suspect an update issue. Can't remember this being a problem in the past.

I've deactivated the keyboard shut down and uninstalled the driver allowing it to reinstall but this does not provide a permanent fix.

While I'm at it, my inbuilt card reader only works intermittently. If I uninstall the driver and allow it to re-install that provides a temporary fix, but it's soon back to its old ways. My USB connected card reader is reliable, although at times very slow.  Probably not connected to keyboard issue, but who knows?

One of the suggestions in Wim's link suggests tweaking the Cortana settings, but I don't use Cortana and can't find the relevant settings.

It's all too clever by half. Come back CP/M all is forgiven, actually there was nothing to forgive....

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this problem

Swap to a Mac and OSX.  ;) 

I'm so glad I did. In the 3 years since I swapped from Windows to Apple I've had zero problems, even major system updates El Capitan -> Sierra -> High Sierra have all gone smoothly.  I'm not saying Apple's perfect, but in my experience, they are much more reliable than MS Windows. I got so fed up with trying to solve problems following each Windows update.

Mark

43 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I'm so glad I did. In the 3 years since I swapped from Windows to Apple I've had zero problems, even major system updates El Capitan -> Sierra -> High Sierra have all gone smoothly.  I'm not saying Apple's perfect, but in my experience, they are much more reliable than MS Windows. I got so fed up with trying to solve problems following each Windows update.

Mark

I've never had any problems with Windows 7 Pro (or XP before that) updates, or with anything else for that matter. It has been a dream so far.

Guess I lucked out. B)

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've never had any problems with Windows 7 Pro (or XP before that) updates, or with anything else for that matter. It has been a dream so far.

Guess I lucked out. B)

If you're still running Windows 7, then I assume you must have turned off auto updates... I still run a "frozen" copy Windows 7 too. I run it inside a Virtual Machine for my non-Apple compatible software. I still like Windows 7, but then MS spoiled it (IMHO).

Mark

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Guess I lucked out. B)

Only been a problem for me since win10. As i understand it there won't be a win11 its all incremental updates from now on. So even if you wete able to turn off auto updates it wouldn't really be a good idea, you'd have to catch up at some point. The drivers/update issues could be partly connected to using 10 on older machines??

On the plus side, i did find a way to throttle the bandwidth used by update so it doesn't take 3 hours to upload 10 pics to Alamy while the update hogs the internet.

The keyboard thing is an old problem, it was possible to get it wrong/set it the wrong way in Vista too. That's how I know.

There are really good things about Macs, but also really bad things and they require just the same attention from the user. The way photographs are treated on the Mac drives me crazy these months. It's a good thing they ditched iPhoto. Maybe Photos is better. However the Macbook I'm dealing with is pre 2015.

The lack of a real file manager is a problem too. However a Windows machine is equally limp without one.

wim

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The lack of a real file manager is a problem too

This was a problem for me too - I don't like Finder. I now use Bridge, which is an Adobe freebie, to do all my file management. And no, Photos isn't much better than iPhoto. I use Bridge to import photos from my SD card and organise them. 

37 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

This was a problem for me too - I don't like Finder. I now use Bridge, which is an Adobe freebie, to do all my file management. And no, Photos isn't much better than iPhoto. I use Bridge to import photos from my SD card and organise them. 

Yes I went the same route, as Bridge (never used) was already on that Macbook. Not my machine - a client's. I just have to do exhibition prints.

But it's a huge problem to figure out where all these files that are displayed in iPhoto actually are. Unadulterated too please. Yes can I now have the RAWs please. -You get the idea.

They are very much ma look no hands machines. All is well until it suddenly isn't.

wim

Yes, iPhoto and photos are pure evil. They are OK for people who just want to keep their photos automatically organised on the computer but for anyone who wants control they are bad. The upcoming version of Skylum's Luminar promises photo management so I'll keep my eye on that. 

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Yes, iPhoto and photos are pure evil. They are OK for people who just want to keep their photos automatically organised on the computer but for anyone who wants control they are bad. The upcoming version of Skylum's Luminar promises photo management so I'll keep my eye on that. 

Luckily after a few quick tests I decided to avoid Photos and iPhotos altogether because their file handling was somewhat obscure. (I like to know exactly where all my photos are and what they are called). Unfortunately I do use iTunes (originally needed to synch and backup iPad and iPhone), but now my music collection storage is no longer as "transparent" as it once was. 

Yes, so although I like OSX, I have to agree that iPhotos, Photos (and I'd add  iTunes and iBooks) all try to be too clever and as a result can end up somewhat baffling... IMHO Apple have made quite  confusing mess of photo storage, even more so when it comes to the interaction between stored Photos and iCloud.  

The edit function of the Photos app is starting to become pretty impressive though, it works on RAWs and is really fast and interactive (providing of course your image has already been "imported" into Apple's obscure Photos app storage system). Now if Apple just allowed me to right click on an image file in finder to open the editor, and save the result where I want to, that might start to get interesting.. 

I like Finder, especially smart folders which I use to maintain photo collections which automatically track new additions and movement of files between folders (unlike LR).

Mark

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I like Finder, especially smart folders which I use to maintain photo collections which automatically track new additions and movement of files between folders (unlike LR).

Hmm make a stupid mistake in one folder and it spreads itself to the next if one's not careful.

Ok it's easy to do lots of damage with a real file manager too.

Then again I thought the Jurassic Park one was too fancy for me. ;-)

It was real btw no mock up: FSN on IRIX.

wim

On 9/25/2018 at 23:43, M.Chapman said:

Mark

IMHO - I find that this might have been true 5-6 years+, but not anymore. Had 9 year old computer running Win 10 until recently, when I built my own new desktop - both ran/run Win 10 without any issues to speak of. Think Mac/PC are pretty much neck and neck now-a-days, even on design options, the only big difference is price. As I said, all in IMHO.

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:
9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Wim said : Hmm make a stupid mistake in one folder and it spreads itself to the next if one's not careful.

I perhaps should have said "collate" rather than "maintain" photo collections, much like in LR with collections, but this finds the pictures for itself wherever they may be (no need to import). I'm not sure how a mistake in one folder can spread to the next. Is there something I need to watch out for? I suppose if I selected all the images in my smart folder and then deleted them without realising what I'd done, it would cause a sprinkling of destruction throughout my image collection? :( I think deleting the smart folder itself might be easier to do by mistake, but I don't think that would delete any files, it just deletes the search criteria used to collate them.

But yes, as soon as the same file appears to be in multiple places (as if there are multiple copies when in reality it's the same file) it's easy to make a mistake. Windows and Mac are IMHO no different on that one, except it's easier to inadvertently create multiple copies in Mac Finder (why oh why does Apple Finder not have a "cut" command)

Mark

56 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I perhaps should have said "collate" rather than "maintain" photo collections, much like in LR with collections, but this finds the pictures for itself wherever they may be (no need to import). I'm not sure how a mistake in one folder can spread to the next. Is there something I need to watch out for? I suppose if I selected all the images in my smart folder and then deleted them without realising what I'd done, it would cause a sprinkling of destruction throughout my image collection? :( I think deleting the smart folder itself might be easier to do by mistake, but I don't think that would delete any files, it just deletes the search criteria used to collate them.

But yes, as soon as the same file appears to be in multiple places (as if there are multiple copies when in reality it's the same file) it's easy to make a mistake. Windows and Mac are IMHO no different on that one, except it's easier to inadvertently create multiple copies in Mac Finder (why oh why does Apple Finder not have a "cut" command)

You're right.

A problem could be that the most recent files with the exact same name are generated files with a lower resolution. So when you get an alert: there's a more recent version of this file delete/overwrite etc, you're thinking: that must be the most recent I've worked on.

Version management is important in our sport.

wim

Archived