Tree fungi identification

I know nowt about tree fungi, but came across this pair growing in Co. Durham the other day. My woefully inadequate research suggests Laetiporus sulphureus (Chicken of the Woods) for the big one but nothing for that which looks like a conical mushroom. Any help appreciated!

I'll agree with chicken of the woods for the big one.  Like you, I'm no expert (one day of MSc lectures and practical work back in 1973 doesn't really count), but it would be worth looking at sulphur tuft, Hypholoma fasciculare var. fasciculare or the Sheathed woodtuft mushroom, Kuehneromyces mutabilis.  Check with the stems for ID.

While you are at it Bryan check out Gymnopilus Penetans and Flammulina velutipes (Velvet Shank).

Both grow on rotting trees/wood.

Allan

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think you sauté those with a little butter and serve with a nice Chianti. 

:)  But , given the uncertainty, you may then require the services of an undertaker!

Thanks Alan, I'll look at them too.

I've had this problem in the past, but old dogs learn slowly!  The trick is to take one of the mushrooms home to get a better look, or photograph the stem and underside of the cap. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

:)  But , given the uncertainty, you may then require the services of an undertaker!

Thanks Alan, I'll look at them too.

I've had this problem in the past, but old dogs learn slowly!  The trick is to take one of the mushrooms home to get a better look, or photograph the stem and underside of the cap. 

Even looking at them under a microscope as someone else suggested.

Allan

Archived