News Images - Editorial Only

Thought I had seen it last week when I uploaded some carnival pictures, but then thought that I must have done it myself.

However, just uploaded a few more news images today and they appear as "sell for editorial ony" images.

When did that happen? Is this the new default?

52 minutes ago, vpics said:

Thought I had seen it last week when I uploaded some carnival pictures, but then thought that I must have done it myself.

However, just uploaded a few more news images today and they appear as "sell for editorial ony" images.

When did that happen? Is this the new default?

Same here, all the News images had uploaded defaulted to "sell for editorial only". As I am not a regular news contributor not sure how long its been going on for.

Andy.

11 hours ago, Avpics said:

First event I noticed it was the 25 August. I guess it's a fail-safe for any contributors that don't go back and reconfigure their shots for stock

Thanks for asking that. I had noticed it too and wondered why it was happening. It’s a bit of a nuisance, as most if not all of my news images that don’t need to be editorial only.

26 minutes ago, Reyern said:

Alamy requires model release if its not editorial, don't they? Quite tricky to get that from everyone in a carnival shot

No, the ball is firmly in our court: no-one can pre-guess intended usage of an image.  But as a contributor, one is best advised to state that no model release is available and/or annotate it as "editorial only".

33 minutes ago, Reyern said:

Pretty sure you cant sell a photo for a billboard ad for chlamydia medicine without permission from the person.

:rolleyes: Of course you can't.  But Alamy ensure that you have the responsibility for declaring whether or not you have the required releases - Alamy themselves do not require a model release, because the end use is unknown, until a buyer comes looking.  Then it is up to you to either list the image as "editorial only" or upload a release or state that no release is available.

Archived