I'm close to despair. 
I just received my Sony RX 100 VI, set it up and took test photos. 
In RAW (Sony ARW). 
But Lightroom cannot import the RAW files.
Already tried it with color space sRGB and AdobeRGB, no success. 
With the Sony 7II you had to select "RAW compressed", but the RX 100 does not have this option.

Can somebody help me?
How do I get the RAW files to Lightroom?
(Lightroom version Classic CC Version 7.4 with Camera RAW 10.4)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Adobe has not recognized the 100/6 yet. It's been discussed in another post:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/10162-any-member-using-the-sony-rx100-m6-yet/

In the meantime, I am shooting Fine jpegs and moving through my normal workflow -- LR Classic > save as tiff > finish edit in PS CC > save as jpeg.

Bettina, none of the Adobe editors will open Sony RX100-VI RAW files. And why would you want to turn a jpeg into a RAW file? It would not have anymore information in it than the Fine jpeg that came from the camera. 

Yes, In Photoshop you can open any jpeg as a RAW.  You don’t get any more data then what is already in the jpeg but it gives you the raw tools for tweaking the photo, with obvious limitations.

To do that, you need to be in Bridge (I would think Lightroom has this option too) and have an image selected and then click on the "File" drop down menu and then click on "Open in Camera Raw..."

11 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, In Photoshop you can open any jpeg as a RAW.  You don’t get any more data then what is already in the jpeg but it gives you the raw tools for tweaking the photo, with obvious limitations.

To do that, you need to be in Bridge (I would think Lightroom has this option too) and have an image selected and then click on the "File" drop down menu and then click on "Open in Camera Raw..."

No need for Bridge, in Windows/Photoshop hit Ctl/Shift + A

But as said, you're then using RAW tools on a JPEG., fine or otherwise.

35 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I have an outdated Photoshop program that doesn't recognize the ARW files from my sony rx100.  I use the free DNG converter on the Raw files and then work with the DNG files.

I could wrong Maria  but I think you can still update the camera raw converter for older Photoshop versions.  I would try Googling that.

2 hours ago, spiegel said:

The Adobe Raw Converter does not work with fils from M6. 
So that only leaves JPEG.
Today I take the camera outside for the first time, adjusted for JPEG-Fine and serial exposure. 

Have you read the other thread about this?

Sony offers it's own converter: Imaging Edge.

Win and Mac.

wim

1 hour ago, spiegel said:

Thanks Wim, I did not realize that it converts ARW to DNG. 

I will install and see. 

Not so fast, I didn't say it could convert ARW to DNG. As far as I know nothing can right now. The DNG converter that Adobe offers, uses exactly the same camera profiles the Camera Raw Converter does and both are on release 10.4. So we're all waiting for version 10.5.

Two weeks ago I was in exactly the same boat, you are in: I came home with a day's work and just had jpgs from that camera.. Luckily I always setup all cameras to record large jpgs plus RAW. So I did have the jpgs. (And the RAWS from the other camera.)

What the Sony converter Imaging Edge does, is converting ARW to jpg or 8bit or 16bit tiff. It basically offers all settings/choices you have on the camera and/or to undo all of the choices you've made. With one notable exception: lens distortion. Now you probably don't ever want the uncooked RAW for that, so it's not that bad.

- If you want to see a real uncooked RAW, go look at this dropbox with 3 images done 3-ways (OOC jpgs; OOC uncooked RAWs and edited jpgs, submitted as Live News).

If you want to edit an image in Photoshop, my advice would be to output an image as close as you can get in Imaging Edge as a 16bit tiff and take it from there. Edge does have some warning for clipped highlights, blacks and out of gamut colors, but they're hard to see. Fortunately there's a regular histogram.

Be careful though: the default setting of Edge is sRGB. If you want to set it to AdobeRGB, you'll have to know where to find that on your machine.

wim

On 8/17/2018 at 14:47, Michael Ventura said:

I could wrong Maria  but I think you can still update the camera raw converter for older Photoshop versions.  I would try Googling that.

Thanks for the suggestion Michael.  I recall when I got the camera and the files wouldn't open in my ACR, I went to the Adobe site and tried to upgrade.  But either my Photoshop was too old (CS5) and/or my operating system on my computer was, and I couldn't upgrade any further.   I am working on upgrading both in the near future.

Maria

Archived