Bird ID

I also think it's a 

Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos).  Saw tons of them when living in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia.  Most of the rest of the genus is in Mexico or further south.  Wikipedia has a good page on Mockingbirds in general, with specifics on some of the species.

Sorry I can't help Matthew but rule number one when asking for a bird or plant ID (obviously not only on Alamy) is to state the location where it was taken.

Distribution maps help and there can be some local sub-species as well.

Gen

On 8/6/2018 at 03:52, gvallee said:

Sorry I can't help Matthew but rule number one when asking for a bird or plant ID (obviously not only on Alamy) is to state the location where it was taken.

Distribution maps help and there can be some local sub-species as well.

Gen

This fellow I photographed in Lake Charles, La.

Yes, it appears to be the said Northern Mockingbird.

Thanks!

On 8/5/2018 at 06:42, Starsphinx said:

Did a quick google search (I have a weird way of searching which can throw up answers normal ways don't) and its possibly a northern mockingbird - Try starting from that and see what you find.

How do you search? I need to know this technique!

22 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

How do you search? I need to know this technique!

Lol - well the first part is you need a weird brain,  I have been blessed with one that makes those odd leaps between seemingly unconnected stuff and I am not sure that can be taught.  My general method is I look at an image and see what it reminds me of - in this case, I thought the bird looked like a jay without the colours - I googled jay with grey plumage or something like that.  I looked at the results as images (it turns out there is north American jay with grey plumage which looks nothing like the bird in question lol) looking for something similar - clicked on the image to get more details and if the details were useful changed my search.  I think, in this case, one of the images took me to a page with multiple different birds on it and the northern mockingbird was one - so I searched the northern mockingbird and found lots of similar looking images.  

Archived